Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233 LastLast
    Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Both have strengths and weaknesses.
    Bendis wrote some decent stuff and had great ideas (that maybe didn’t work out quite as good as the idea)
    Aaron is the same. He clearly enjoyed his time on Thor, and pushing ideas and concepts like unworthiness and Jane as Thor is what comics should be about. His execution may have been to Thors detriment, but Thor was certainly highly talked about. I see the run on a lot of top 10 lists when it comes to the 2010s.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Bendis wrote some decent stuff and had great ideas (that maybe didn’t work out quite as good as the idea)
    Aaron is the same. He clearly enjoyed his time on Thor, and pushing ideas and concepts like unworthiness and Jane as Thor is what comics should be about. His execution may have been to Thors detriment, but Thor was certainly highly talked about. I see the run on a lot of top 10 lists when it comes to the 2010s.
    Thor comics should never be about Jane, unless she is a supporting character
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    Don't see what that has to do with my post. Are you saying he's a bad writer for making a Mary Sue?
    I'm saying Thor has suffered as a character as a result. He was painted as an inept drunk under Aaron.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    And he had Odin being wounded by random mooks of Malekith.
    Yep. It was ridiculous.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Yep. It was ridiculous.
    while mortal Jane beats them solo and even wounds Minotaur who took serious punch from Thor.

Thor comics should never be about Jane, unless she is a supporting character
    Why? Who says?

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    Don't see what that has to do with my post. Are you saying he's a bad writer for making a Mary Sue?

Your analogy still doesn't work. Bendis' latest attempt at street-level was Leviathan and that was strait trash. Sure, he wrote DD well at one point in the past but I seriously doubt he'd do well these days.
    Does Leviathan count as street level? I'd say it's more global espionage.

Amazing Member

And he had Odin being wounded by random mooks of Malekith.
    To be fair, Odin is massively depowered these days. By his own admission, he can no longer access the Odin Power to do the things he could once do.

Ultimate Member

I'd say that they have the same strengths and weaknesses.

Their strengths lie in street level characters.

And of their (many) weaknesses they are unable to give any depth to their villains. I can't think of any remotely sympathetic Bendis villain, and Aaron's are so over the top, you think they were rejected Captain Planet villains.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    To be fair, Odin is massively depowered these days. By his own admission, he can no longer access the Odin Power to do the things he could once do.
    I think even without the Odinforce, Odin's strenght and durability are roughly on par with Classic Thor. So it's still pathetic seeing him getting pwned by Malekith's Putty Patrol while Jane, as a normal human, is able to slice through hordes of them and to give trouble to the Minotaur.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Astonishing Member

Why? Who says?
    Thor comics should always be about Thor in general

That goes for any character in their own book

Otherwise it isn't their book is it

You want to tell a story about someone else for a prolonged stretch, fine, give them their book

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post

You want to tell a story about someone else for a prolonged stretch, fine, give them their book
    Exactly. I don't read Captain America expecting to see the adventures of Sharon Carter.

Bucky was Captain America for a stretch, as was Falcon.
    The Hulk comic starred Hercules for quite some time.
    In Aaron’s story, Jane lifted the hammer thus was bestowed the power of Thor. I can’t say I’d want to see that in any title other than one titled “Thor”

Astonishing Member

Bucky was Captain America for a stretch, as was Falcon.
    The Hulk comic starred Hercules for quite some time.
    In Aaron’s story, Jane lifted the hammer thus was bestowed the power of Thor. I can’t say I’d want to see that in any title other than one titled “Thor”
    Hulk was rebranded to do that,

Captain America has a history of doing that, not to it's strength imo, adding the name of the new cap would have fixed that (they might have for part of Sam's run iirc but that might have been a mini)

Thor could readily have been rebranded into journey into mystery for example

Hulk was rebranded to do that,

Captain America has a history of doing that, not to it's strength imo, adding the name of the new cap would have fixed that (they might have for part of Sam's run iirc but that might have been a mini)

Thor could readily have been rebranded into journey into mystery for example
    Or rebranded as Thunderstrike like during the Defalco years.