Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 215
  1. #1

    Default The tragedy of Jobber Thor



    ''Are you Thor god of jobbers?''

    Someone needs to tell Marvel editorial and Writers that you don't have to nerf heroes, forget their past feats, and turn them into complete pushovers in order to teach them humility.

    This is not the real Thor to me. This is a clone created by Odin in order to test the abilities of possible allies and foes in a future battle against the Death god Walker. He's a Thorosi.


    #RememberThor #NotmyThor
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 09-19-2019 at 08:07 AM. Reason: rude

  2. #2
    Ultimate Member JKtheMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bedford UK
    Posts
    10,016

    Default

    Well never mind. You donít agree with what Marvel are doing but they know exactly what they are doing so they really donít need telling anything. Some of us are equally enthusiastic that Thor is just fine as he is in current comics and frankly some people that criticise donít actually seem to be particularly knowledgeable of the history of Thor.

  3. #3
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,710

    Default

    Ever since he came to write Thor, Jason Aaron felt more like throwing away all of Thor’s legacy to make his story work.

  4. #4
    Invincible Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    27,834

    Default

    High end characters in earth bound team settings do tend to be jobbed a bit.

    But yeah... Thor just isn't quite the same without his classic hammer.

  5. #5
    Incredible Member darthjoker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    728

    Default

    thankfully I stopped buying thor many years ago. Since Disney took over marvel is a mess. The only good comics that resemble the marvel previous to the buy out are those that disney has no interest (yet) to turn them into a movie or tv show.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Well never mind. You don’t agree with what Marvel are doing but they know exactly what they are doing so they really don’t need telling anything. Some of us are equally enthusiastic that Thor is just fine as he is in current comics and frankly some people that criticise don’t actually seem to be particularly knowledgeable of the history of Thor.
    Most of the complainers are well aware of Classic Thor story and powers (when he used to talk like Shakespeare and shoot energy beams from Mjolnir). The uploader of the video is a big Thor fan.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 12-23-2018 at 09:13 AM.

  7. #7
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,036

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Most of the complainers are well aware of Classic Thor story and powers (when he used to talk like Shakespeare and shoot energy beams from Mjolnir). The uploader of the video is a big Thor fan.
    You know who else are big Thor fans?

    The readers who have made Aaron's six years running Thor run one of the most successful in the character's history.

    And yes, many of those people are also old-school Thor fans. But whether they're old fans or newly minted fans, it doesn't matter. No group has proprietary ownership on a character. All that matters is whether the book is connecting with people and Aaron's Thor has definitely done that, and has done so over a sustained period of time.

    There's no tragedy in a run being both popular and acclaimed. If some fans of the character aren't feeling it, oh well.

  8. #8
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,710

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    You know who else are big Thor fans?

    The readers who have made Aaron's six years running Thor run one of the most successful in the character's history.

    And yes, many of those people are also old-school Thor fans. But whether they're old fans or newly minted fans, it doesn't matter. No group has proprietary ownership on a character. All that matters is whether the book is connecting with people and Aaron's Thor has definitely done that, and has done so over a sustained period of time.

    There's no tragedy in a run being both popular and acclaimed. If some fans of the character aren't feeling it, oh well.
    I'm a Thor fan and I feel that Aaron is insulting the Thor Mythos and name. I mean one minute he complains about losing his hammer, learning that his former Earthly lover has replace him, has cancer and LOST Her family.

    The next he lost his arm and even made MORE hammers to replace his former one.

    Also how he WHINED AND COMPLAINED about losing said hammer.

    He's more of a teenager who is ashamed of his emotions and the ability to confront them than adult heroic Thor.

  9. #9
    Invincible Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    27,834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    I'm a Thor fan and I feel that Aaron is insulting the Thor Mythos and name. I mean one minute he complains about losing his hammer, learning that his former Earthly lover has replace him, has cancer and LOST Her family.

    The next he lost his arm and even made MORE hammers to replace his former one.

    Also how he WHINED AND COMPLAINED about losing said hammer.

    He's more of a teenager who is ashamed of his emotions and the ability to confront them than adult heroic Thor.
    Though I personally thinkg Aarons run on THor overall is pretty good, I do think his characterization is a bit off for my tastes.

    He writes him a bit more like Hercules than Thor in my mind.

    That said, I suppose to some degree after everything that's happened to him (losing his hammer, his arm, his worthiness, etc) having a more emo Thor is somewhat justifiable.

  10. #10
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,036

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    I'm a Thor fan and I feel that Aaron is insulting the Thor Mythos and name.
    Ok. But I think I already covered that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    If some fans of the character aren't feeling it, oh well.
    At the end of the day, Aaron has had a remarkably successful Thor run. Clearly a lot of people are very ok with his take on the character.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    I'm a Thor fan and I feel that Aaron is insulting the Thor Mythos and name. I mean one minute he complains about losing his hammer, learning that his former Earthly lover has replace him, has cancer and LOST Her family.

    The next he lost his arm and even made MORE hammers to replace his former one.

    Also how he WHINED AND COMPLAINED about losing said hammer.

    He's more of a teenager who is ashamed of his emotions and the ability to confront them than adult heroic Thor.
    He also made him weaker than She-Hulk and afraid of dying frozen when he previously was able ti fly through space bare chested. Odin and Thor are incapable to defeat Mangog together but Jane Thor did It. Odin being a abusive jerkass to Thor. Thor being uncomfortable around She-Hulk when he spent all' of his life surrounded by badass action girls like Lady Sif, Valkerye and Brunhilde. Mjolnir being destroyed in the sun despite all' the times it went through the sun with no damage.

    These are all' legitimate concers about character and power level inconsistencies.

    The only parts of Aaron's run i liked were the God Butcher and Malekith, then he lost me when he turned Jane Foster into a Mary Sue acclaimed by all' the supporting characters as ''teh best thor evah!''
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 12-23-2018 at 01:11 PM.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Though I personally thinkg Aarons run on THor overall is pretty good, I do think his characterization is a bit off for my tastes.

    He writes him a bit more like Hercules than Thor in my mind.
    More like MCU Thor than Hercules.

  13. #13
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,494

    Default

    Power levels bother me less than this damned 'virtue signalling' Thor that Aaron's been writing.

    Every flashback with Thor is him trying to earn being worthy of the hammer. Every good deed, every life saved, it's all for the hammer.

    It turns Thor into the strawmen that atheists throw out against the religious, that they don't do good to do good, but for the promised eternal reward. And it lessens Thor, as his humility came after his time as Donald Blake. I don't know when the worthy enchantment was added to the hammer, but I do know it wasn't always there, and having Thor focused only n his hammer lessens him.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Power levels bother me less than this damned 'virtue signalling' Thor that Aaron's been writing.

    Every flashback with Thor is him trying to earn being worthy of the hammer. Every good deed, every life saved, it's all for the hammer.

    It turns Thor into the strawmen that atheists throw out against the religious, that they don't do good to do good, but for the promised eternal reward. And it lessens Thor, as his humility came after his time as Donald Blake. I don't know when the worthy enchantment was added to the hammer, but I do know it wasn't always there, and having Thor focused only n his hammer lessens him.
    I have no issues with throwing potshots at wacky evangelicals. But Yes, Aaron enforces this idea that Thor is incompetent without Mjolnir, something that was adressed in the Ragnarok movie, as much as i dislike Waititi's goofball approach, while also glossing over all of his heroic deeds.

  15. #15
    Fantastic Member Castling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Ever since he came to write Thor, Jason Aaron felt more like throwing away all of Thor’s legacy to make his story work.
    And he's writing the Avengers like complete garbage children.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •