Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Thor getting pwned by She-Hulk, Ursa Major and Namor isn't jobbing!?
    Nope because every one of those things was entirely blown out of proportion by people who believed the hype that Thor was being jobbed. From my perspective he was never ‘pwned’ which itself is a loaded term in this context.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Nope because every one of those things was entirely blown out of proportion by people who believed the hype that Thor was being jobbed. From my perspective he was never ‘pwned’ which itself is a loaded term in this context.
    I'm firmly in the ''they're jobbing Thor'' camp. Also Aaron seems to really like wanking Jane Foster, even when she isn't a Thor anymore, Aaron still writes Odinson like an incompetent buffoon who gives baths to Mjolnir like it's a rubber ducky.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Astonishing Member

I'm firmly in the ''they're jobbing Thor'' camp. Also Aaron seems to really like wanking Jane Foster, even when she isn't a Thor anymore, Aaron still writes Odinson like an incompetent buffoon who gives baths to Mjolnir like it's a rubber ducky.
    His recent position as all father might change things, but this is clearly the weakest version of an adult Thor I've seen for some time when he wasn't officially depowered in story

There are moments like in the sun he was very awesome

But there are clear points well below this, and far more numerous

Barely standing against the hulk

Barely holding back the riders car

Manhandled by Ursa major

Being stalemated by manor even with some added powers

Being convinced shehulk could tear him apart

Needing to berserk on giants to beat them

I really could go on

Sure there may be narrative reasons

Sure it's not like he doesn't have some good showings like the huge storms in wotr

But on balance, this is a low key thor

He is far removed from the Thor that channeled the power of a planet against the celestials

Or stood against korvac, the phoenix force

Stood against a host of villains in secret wars

Soaked blasts from Galactus, the destroyer, Odin when he also wasn't a bit of a flake

In many ways it's saddening

But I have hope things are on the up
    Last edited by kilderkin; 10-02-2019 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    His recent position as all father might change things, but this is clearly the weakest version of an adult Thor I've seen for some time when he wasn't officially depowered in story

There are moments like in the sun he was very awesome

But there are clear points well below this, and far more numerous

Barely standing against the hulk

Barely holding back the riders car

Manhandled by Ursa major

Being stalemated by manor even with some added powers

Being convinced shehulk could tear him apart

Needing to berserk on giants to beat them

I really could go on

Sure there may be narrative reasons

Sure it's not like he doesn't have some good showings like the huge storms in wotr

But on balance, this is a low key thor

He is far removed from the Thor that channeled the power of a planet against the celestials

Or stood against korvac, the phoenix force

Stood against a host of villains in secret wars

Soaked blasts from Galactus, the destroyer, Odin when he also wasn't a bit of a flake

In many ways it's saddening

But I have hope things are on the up
    Not with the current Marvel editors and their obsession with sinergy.

Thor is gonna be a nerfed loser for a looong time.

I really miss the God Blast and Mejingjord the belt of strenght
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 10-02-2019 at 09:57 AM.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Yeah, Thor feels like he's at his most ineffectual in the Avengers books. I'm not sure why, considering he's ostensibly being written by "his" writer, but it feels noticeable.
    Dario Agger works because he exploits natural resources and causes environmental damage. With Gaea's power significantly reduced in recent years when she transferred her powers to Herc this leaves her son in a protectorate role for the Earth. This was then expanded to cast Thor as protector of the ten realms as Darius himself began to exploit the wider Thor universe.

It’s almost as if there was a plan all along to increase Thor’s role and position. Hmmm. I wonder if anyone was saying that many years ago beneath the loud “They are jobbing Thor” shouts. Oh yes that would be me.

Because frankly it was bloody obvious that Aaron had a plan, not to pull Thor apart and rebuild him, because he never lost his powers as such, just his confidence and purpose. No, the plan was always to allow us to re-examine Thor’s position, importance and necessity by teasing each element of the character, role and deity out in individual stories separate from ‘he’s the heir of Asgard’ or ‘he is just worthy’ or ‘Thor is his name not a title’ etc. etc.

So in that respect ‘deconstructions’ do indeed sell. But usually because when approached properly they are meaningful and important stories that help define the character for a new generation.
    It doesn't feel like Thor's role has really been elevated to something different then what came before. I mean, he's always been the protector of the 10 Realms more or less and protected Midgard (Agger being harmful to the environment hasn't seemed connected to the Gaea heritage much). His kingship didn't get much build up.

Those methods Aaron's used to examine Thor's position has arguably made it more tenuous and transitive. I mean, when another person can just wield his hammer with such ease and take his own name...is there a need for the actual Thor? Especially with how he was written back then.

Oh, dear. Here we go with the "Jason Aaron" is god diatribe. Good grief.

On this thread here....no one cares for Jason Aaron's depiction of Thor as a weakling. Hence, "Thor is reduced to jobbing" as the title.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Oh, dear. Here we go with the "Jason Aaron" is god diatribe. Good grief.

On this thread here....no one cares for Jason Aaron's depiction of Thor as a weakling. Hence, "Thor is reduced to jobbing" as the title.
    Ever since i read Thanos Rising (i've made a thread on that comic) i thought Aaron is a writer that works best with gritty street level characters with a potty mouth, much like Bendis, and not really suited for powerful Sci-fi and fantasy characters.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, Thor feels like he's at his most ineffectual in the Avengers books. I'm not sure why, considering he's ostensibly being written by "his" writer, but it feels noticeable.

It doesn't feel like Thor's role has really been elevated to something different then what came before. I mean, he's always been the protector of the 10 Realms more or less and protected Midgard (Agger being harmful to the environment hasn't seemed connected to the Gaea heritage much). His kingship didn't get much build up.

Those methods Aaron's used to examine Thor's position has arguably made it more tenuous and transitive. I mean, when another person can just wield his hammer with such ease and take his own name...is there a need for the actual Thor? Especially with how he was written back then.
    Yeah, the avengers Thor is just shocking imo
    Noticeable poor

Ever since i read Thanos Rising (i've made a thread on that comic) i thought Aaron is a writer that works best with gritty street level characters with a potty mouth, much like Bendis, and not really suited for powerful Sci-fi and fantasy characters.
    I admit that Godbutcher was good. I think Aaron is one of those modern writers that likes to do deconstructions of characters, we can all agree that he broke Thor down, a lot, but part of a deconstruction is building him back up, and he only half did it. Sure he's king of asgard now, except JMS already did that, and he didn't have to lose any body parts in the process. He still wrapped too much of his identity in being worthy, even when he got the hammer back. He's only half put together.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I admit that Godbutcher was good. I think Aaron is one of those modern writers that likes to do deconstructions of characters, we can all agree that he broke Thor down, a lot, but part of a deconstruction is building him back up, and he only half did it. Sure he's king of asgard now, except JMS already did that, and he didn't have to lose any body parts in the process. He still wrapped too much of his identity in being worthy, even when he got the hammer back. He's only half put together.
    Dan Jurgens already did the Thor Is king of Asgard thing after he had Odin pull an heroic sacrifice against Surtur.

Ultimate Member

Dario Agger works because he exploits natural resources and causes environmental damage. With Gaea's power significantly reduced in recent years when she transferred her powers to Herc this leaves her son in a protectorate role for the Earth. This was then expanded to cast Thor as protector of the ten realms as Darius himself began to exploit the wider Thor universe.

It’s almost as if there was a plan all along to increase Thor’s role and position. Hmmm. I wonder if anyone was saying that many years ago beneath the loud “They are jobbing Thor” shouts. Oh yes that would be me.

Because frankly it was bloody obvious that Aaron had a plan, not to pull Thor apart and rebuild him, because he never lost his powers as such, just his confidence and purpose. No, the plan was always to allow us to re-examine Thor’s position, importance and necessity by teasing each element of the character, role and deity out in individual stories separate from ‘he’s the heir of Asgard’ or ‘he is just worthy’ or ‘Thor is his name not a title’ etc. etc.

So in that respect ‘deconstructions’ do indeed sell. But usually because when approached properly they are meaningful and important stories that help define the character for a new generation.
    That Aaron had a plan, does not make it a good one. His plan was to tear down Thor, and then return his 'mantle' to him by default.

As for Dario, he doesn't work for several reasons.

First, in terms of general genre. Thor is an epic character of myth and legend. Larger than like stories are his life blood. Dario is the head of an evil corporation. Doesn't get much more down to earth than that.

Second, Dario's characterization is amazingly terrible. He's worse than any 80s cartoon villain. There's no meaningful contrast to be had, even if he really is a character of myth.

Third, in terms of internal logic, it simply does not work. When Lex fights Superman, Lex is protected by the fact that Superman has a secret ID and thus cannot testify to Luthor's crimes.

Thor does not have that issue. Thor has been an Avenger for decades. And no, swearing on a bible is not required to deliver testimony. All Sield should have to do is get a sworn statement and go from there.

Or he otherwise explores characters through the religious spectrum.

*yawn*

Booorrriinnnggg. I get it though. He was raised in the deep south, in the bible belt and subsequently detached himself from religion. Naturally, he explores religion as an intellectual curiosity through the comic medium. But I mean look around. Many people, countries... that were traditionally religious are no longer so. How are religious observations in comics relevant anymore? My suggestion to Aaron. Stick to street level characters and give the religious kaleidoscope a break. Oh, and leave writing Thor to the experts.
    Last edited by Cronus; 10-02-2019 at 03:31 PM.
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Or he otherwise explores characters through the religious spectrum.

*yawn*

Booorrriinnnggg. I get it though. He was raised in the deep south, in the bible belt and subsequently detached himself from religion. Naturally, he explores religion as an intellectual curiosity through the comic medium. But I mean look around. Many people, countries... that were traditionally religious are no longer so. How are religious observations in comics relevant anymore? My suggestion to Aaron. Stick to street level characters and give the religious kaleidoscope a break. Oh, and leave writing Thor to the experts.
    There are hardly any current Marvel writers, except Mark Waid, who can be considered an ''expert'' on a character (characterisation, history and powers).

Astonishing Member

There are hardly any current Marvel writers, except Mark Waid, who can be considered an ''expert'' on a character (characterisation, history and powers).
    I hadn't really thought about it like that

Sure. But if you could choose who wrote Thor right now, who would you pick?

*bonus

Which continuity errors would like to see addressed/fixed by said chosen writer?
    ----------------------