Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

I think it's a given that a team's strongest member is usually going to job a lot, but it does seem like Thor has been getting beat up a lot these days, either in his own books, guest appearances, or on his team book.

In contrast I don't recall Waid writing Jane as getting walloped in his Avengers all that often. She was usually the team powerhouse alongside Vision.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    You know who else are big Thor fans?

The readers who have made Aaron's six years running Thor run one of the most successful in the character's history.

And yes, many of those people are also old-school Thor fans. But whether they're old fans or newly minted fans, it doesn't matter. No group has proprietary ownership on a character. All that matters is whether the book is connecting with people and Aaron's Thor has definitely done that, and has done so over a sustained period of time.

There's no tragedy in a run being both popular and acclaimed. If some fans of the character aren't feeling it, oh well.
    I view Aaron's run in the same way that I viewed the spider-clone fiasco in the 90s. It's selling well, but will not hold up. Hercuthor is not going to age well imho. Popular? Yes. Acclaimed? Born Again is acclaimed. Demon In A Bottle is Acclaimed. God Loves Man Kills is acclaimed. And while no one owns a character there are certain segments more likely to be loyal and not bail when the stunt losses steam. Aaron's run is no different than the Three Step Replacement craze that swept through the 90s

1. Kill or disgrace original hero.
    2. Introduce new hero to goose sales.
    3. Bring back original with much fanfare when sales start to fall when then stunt casting wears off.

The 90s returned so gradually to comics that I didn't even notice.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 12-23-2018 at 08:06 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member

Clearly he's doing something right coz it sells well enough,but so does the big mac and nuggets, good fir them

Sure lots of people like it, sure lots don't

Imo, it's a demonstration of a superbly skillful destruction of a character and his associated mythos, other disagree

Will it be regarded well years from now

I really couldn't care less, just as people won't care for my opinion

All I am sure of is basically I think it's the worst sustained version of thor in his own book I have ever seen

Numbers won't change that and I'm now content to wait until a proper thor is written again as imo this certainly is not

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    I have no issues with throwing potshots at wacky evangelicals. But Yes, Aaron enforces this idea that Thor is incompetent without Mjolnir, something that was adressed in the Ragnarok movie, as much as i dislike Waititi's goofball approach, while also glossing over all of his heroic deeds.
    I don't think it serves Thor's character to be the bludgeon that he uses against the religious. Just sayin'

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    More like MCU Thor than Hercules.
    MCU Thor basically is Hercules - especially Ragnarok

Amazing Member

Aaron's Thor is absolutely repugnant to me. It's an infantile and uninteresting Thor he has presented and he has done his best to cheapen the whole mythos. All of the cosmic glory of the gods has been reduced to rubble in his hands.

I am very much looking forward to someone else handling Thor and the Avengers,

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I view Aaron's run in the same way that I viewed the spider-clone fiasco in the 90s. It's selling well, but will not hold up. Hercuthor is not going to age well imho. Popular? Yes. Acclaimed? Born Again is acclaimed. Demon In A Bottle is Acclaimed. God Loves Man Kills is acclaimed. And while no one owns a character there are certain segments more likely to be loyal and not bail when the stunt losses steam. Aaron's run is no different than the Three Step Replacement craze that swept through the 90s
    I think the stuff with Jane will remain acclaimed for it's empowering and feminist leaning, even if that also came at the expense of certain Thor characters.

But Aaron imprinted a lot of Thor's old character traits onto Jane as Thor.

Quote Originally Posted by tribalfusion View Post
    Aaron's Thor is absolutely repugnant to me. It's an infantile and uninteresting Thor he has presented and he has done his best to cheapen the whole mythos. All of the cosmic glory of the gods has been reduced to rubble in his hands.

You have to judge it on a case by case basis.

His Black Panther is good.

His Captain Marvel is good, but the bar is pretty low for that character.

Ghost Rider? I don't know enough about the current Ghost Rider to be sure.

She-Hulk? Nope.

Cap? Yeah.

Iron Man? Yeah.

Doctor Strange? His Doctor Strange was awful.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

So now we have got a Thor who is childish and a Hercules who became a more serious character (especially in his last mini)??

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the stuff with Jane will remain acclaimed for it's empowering and feminist leaning, even if that also came at the expense of certain Thor characters.
    But..how empowering was it really? Keep in mind that Marvel has woman characters that are far more empowering and feminist. I don't remember a villain surrendering to Storm...heck to any of the other Marvel heroines just because they were woman Like Titania did in Thor #5. That erases half of the empowerment angle right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Aaron imprinted a lot of Thor's old character traits onto Jane as Thor.
    And this erases the other half.

People bring up that Titania scene a lot, but that's the same character who joined a radical ultra feminist's team of Femizons to create a world where they would they would be the most valuable women and powerful people on the planet.

Anyway, Jason's Thor will be remembered for being the definitive modern Thor saga, putting the character through his paces more than anyone else, stretching the concept of the core mythos to new lengths, the best use of the concept of ten realms, great action scenes, making Thor a more likable and relatable character, extensive use of the supporting cast, consistently incredible art, and being literally the biggest and baddest Thor story of all time that uses the "long run into linewide event" structure that's been incredibly successful in recent years. And while I can see someone disliking the book, I cannot see how any other run in the character's over 50 years of publication can compare to it except for Lee/Kirby for being fundamental and one of the best books of the 60's, or Simonson's for being one of the best books of the 80's.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tribalfusion View Post

Kinda like what he did to the eternals in Thanos Rising.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    People bring up that Titania scene a lot, but that's the same character who joined a radical ultra feminist's team of Femizons to create a world where they would they would be the most valuable women and powerful people on the planet.

Anyway, Jason's Thor will be remembered for being the definitive modern Thor saga, putting the character through his paces more than anyone else, stretching the concept of the core mythos to new lengths, the best use of the concept of ten realms, great action scenes, making Thor a more likable and relatable character, extensive use of the supporting cast, consistently incredible art, and being literally the biggest and baddest Thor story of all time that uses the "long run into linewide event" structure that's been incredibly successful in recent years. And while I can see someone disliking the book, I cannot see how any other run in the character's over 50 years of publication can compare to it except for Lee/Kirby for being fundamental and one of the best books of the 60's, or Simonson's for being one of the best books of the 80's.
    Biggest and baddest thor? Really? Did you watch the video? Also the artwork of the current series is pretty ugly.

Only because of Aaron that Thor now badly written as some loser idiot has been for last five years he one of worst writers at marvel what he has done to Thor and his lore in last five years pretty much damage beyond recognize going take next writer hell time fix damage that Aaron done to Thor.

About time Thor got a new Writer at this point any writer would better then Aaron made complete mess of Thor.

It's time for Aaron to go. His run was good at first, but it's now a load of rubbish.
    Give me Brexit or give me death.