Default Episode 9 set one year later

So I guess it's roughly analogous to ROTJ's gap (Which was kind of a weird one, as the group took a whole year to go to Tatooine despite already planning the rendevous? Although the old "Shadows of the Empire" EU storyline, as well as the old Marvel comics, explained the big delay).

So pretty much (episodes only):

TPM to AOTC: 10 years
    AOTC to ROTS: 3 years
    ROTS to ANH: 18 years
    ANH to ESB: 3 years
    ESB To ROTJ: 1 year
    ROTJ to TFA: 30 years
    TFA to TLJ: Hours at most
    TLJ to 9: 1 year
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Good. Star Wars thrives on time gaps.

Good. I figured as much, it needed to happen to realistically have the Resistance rebuild into something more than just a group that can fit in one freighter.

While I generally like TLJ, no substantial time gap was always a mistake, imo.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Comics, TV and games now have a new time gap to fill in blanks. Yay!

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Time jump needed to explain how Luke discovered the secret of re-materializing.

If they REALLY wanted to retcon the death (which I wholly doubt but just for the sake of discussion), they'd have a much easier time just saying that there's a side-effect to the Force astral-progression technique, which in periods of prolonged usage can actually cause the user to legitimately teleport to some random location afterwards due to the strains of the technique. A sort of overload that then causes the Force to do something that the user did not intend.

That said, its a huge reach to expect Luke to still be alive.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I really hope that Luke is not going to appear much in the next movie, i'm not too impatient to discover what new ways of insulting him they have come up with this time for being honest.

He will. He has to, Episode IX was supposed to be the one where Carrie Fisher took a more central role in regards to an original three elder (Episode VII Han, Episode VIII Luke), and now that's not possible anymore. He will take up that slack.