Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Can The DCEU Ever Be As Successful As The MCU?

It's no secret the DCEU has had a rough go at it so far: From the lukewarm reception of MOS to the movies being outright panned like BvS and underpreforming. And we all know what went ultimately down with Justice League where that movie was both a critical and financial bomb. Wonder Woman seems to be the lone exception to the rule achieving both critical and commercial success but overall it’s not unreasonable to say the DCEU has been very hit-or-miss in terms of success(probably even more so than Fox’s soon-to-be defunct X-Men franchise quality wise).

Comparatively, Marvel Studios seems like they can do no wrong. Of course, Marvel Studios did beat DC to the punch with creating the first ever successful shared superhero cinematic universe but Marvel’s continued success over DC is in a way kind of funny to me seeing as Marvel didn’t start out their universe with most of their A-list heavy hitters like DC did. If you told me seventeen years ago when superhero movies were barely a blip on anyone’s radar that Marvel would be able start a successful cinematic universe without characters like Spider-Man & the X-Men I would’ve looked at you like you needed to be put in a straitjacket and be sent to Arkham Asylum. The Marvel movies, regardless of ones individual opinion of them, have been both box office & critical successes...well except for Ed Norton’s first and final turn as the Green Goliath but that’s the exception to the rule. There’s no question that overall the MCU has a big leg up over the DCEU critically and commercially.

We now live in a world where both movies about a tree and a talking raccoon outgrossed the first ever Justice League film! I’m curious can DC ever truly rehabilitate from the failures of the past enough to become something that can finally go toe-to-toe with the box office champion known as the Marvel Cinematic Universe or do you think the damage is already done and it’s simply too late for DC to ever catch up with its competitor? Marvel seems to be firing on all cylinders with their universe: Can you think of any other studio that can release two billion dollar making movies within the same year? One of those two billion dollar making movies Marvel released this year was Black Panther which was a movie about a somewhat lesser known Marvel character made more money than all the DC movies ever released(yes, that includes the Nolan Batman movies). Marvel’s success is really impressive but as a DC guy I’m curious if you guys think DC will eventually rival its competitor eventually in terms of critical success and financial success? Marvel is without question the top dog while DC is kind of the underdog. I’m not sure my beloved Justice League will ever have a movie that rivals the gargutuan profits the Avengers movies make. Heck I’m not even sure there will ever be another Justice League movie. Can DC finally match what Marvel has? Will the tide ever change?
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 01-30-2019 at 05:41 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Not with a Justice League movie, that's for sure.

If DC build up its heroes and make them more stand-alone, with less cosmic-level threat, yes, I can see them slowly catching up -if WB isn't dead set on catching up but more focused on enjoying making great super-hero movies.

But I highly doubt that we'll have another choral movie anytime sound, except perhaps as a Crisis movie to reboot some part of the Worlds of DC early movies. The Justice League brand is really damaged, it was by far the worst movie of the whole slate, after all.

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing : if DC is forced to move away from JL for the movies, has still successes, perhaps it'll help shake off the nostalgie grip on the comic sides and finally allow the company to grow beyond the "all that matters is the Iconic characters and relations" phase it's stuck in since Rebirth.

In a word, yes.

WB has a leg up on the marvelous competition in that they have properties with a massive built in audience. Marvel was working with relative unknowns. With a combination of time, quality, and consistency they have taken lesser known properties and made them foremost in movie goers minds.

All DC really needs to do is work on quality and planning.

That and giving a **** about the properties.

They really goofed in disrespecting the source material and ignoring the actual iconic legendary material in favor of the little known and comparatively little loved new 52 stuff.

WW may be the mist successful of the lot thus far but I would wager that was because the public had been clamoring for a WW movie since before 1991. Their approach to it still blew chunks as they butchered her catalogue of stories and world.

But with a change in approach they could totally rebound

The books have long needed a change in leadership themselves.
    Last edited by Stanlos; 12-23-2018 at 10:30 PM.

Yes. Just keep good movies it isn't some magic formula. In 18 or so MCU that have been made Marvel imo has "ONE" bad movie in Thor Dark world. The rest of Marvel movies are at least average movies even if you are the harshest critic. DC has Wonder Woman , Now it has Aquaman. Next up Shazam. Don't make expensive bad movie it is better to make generic action popcornflix for 100 million than 300 million too ambitious movie.

I think it's possible. People are certainly interested to see a good Superman or Batman movie. Once they figure out how to do that the audiences will be there.

I think the general criticisms of the Snyder films are right - he tended to take Superman and Batman too seriously. Not that they need to be as goofy as Marvel gets, but try to make the movies a bit fun at least. "The Dark Knight" is generally considered the best of the Nolan trilogy and as dark and insane as Ledger's Joker was, he was also funny and fun to watch.

I think the DC movies didn't nail the start of their cinematic universe, and so far haven't necessarily been as consistent in consecutive success as Marvel Studios has been with their films, but if they can deliver more crowd-pleasing, enjoyable, films then I think there is definitely the possibility that they will catch up to the MCU...but that's probably a long ways off.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Honestly? No. I don’t think it can. That’s like asking somebody to catch lightning in a bottle twice.

That’s not to say that DC can’t be successful, just that it won’t be able to replicate what Marvel’s done. And that’s perfectly ok.

Umm yeah. We just need more movies like Wonder Woman and Aquaman! Those two films are great representations of how amazing DC can be when done right. I feel like the DCEU is finally on the right path and Shazam will continue what Aquaman and Wonder Woman started!
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Mighty Member

Post feels like bait, to be honest. But yeah I think so. They are going to have their stumbles. (that’s with anything) They seem to be on the right track with Aquaman. Now there’s WW84, Shazam, Birds of Prey and what ever else they have coming. It’s possible and I think they will. Regardless of what naysayers say.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Yes and No. Can the DC films be as Financially Successful and Beloved as the MCU films? Yes easily. But can the DCEU ever have the gold standard label the MCU has since it has gone 20 plus films with no financial flops and all critically approved? No but that's not a knock on the DCEU I can't think of any franchise that could do that again.

Marvel may rule the theatres for now, but DC rules the airwaves, with Smallville, Gotham, Flash, and Arrow.

As for the theatres, Wonder Woman did do well - just as her TV show did during the 1970's.

Financially, perhaps it can. Critically, I'm not so sure. As long as DC is making good crowd pleasers, they would do well, since that's the only thing that matters in the end of the day. Makes little difference to me what their RT score is.

Extraordinary Member

I think the gap between them can at least become smaller, if DC finally manges to make good movies, since I think it will be really hard for Marvel to keep on their current Level after "Avengers: Endgame".

I don't think the DCEU can be successful until two things happen.

1. DC stops being ashamed of what it is.

2. Until the Corporate side backs off and allows comic creators/influence take prominence over whatever Hollywood standard.

WB seems to have the hardest time with the fact that Grown men and women running around in their pajamas is made to seem even more ridiculous when you try to convince the audience how "adult"/ "serious"/ "cool" they are.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Whatever you think of the DCEU, it has been far more successful than the Marvel projects from the last century. If the latter could rise to the top from much lower depths, then DC/WB certainly can.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?