Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

DC needs competent leadership when it comes to movies and comics. Aquaman and Wonder Woman have proven they can produce good movies,so the DCEU becoming successful is not out of the question.

I care more about the comic books, and from my standpoint, DC can't even get those right these days!
    (Not that I think Marvel is putting out better comics either these days, but I just want more enjoyable DC comic books than what DC has recently been giving me.)

With the current state of Afflecks Batman & Cavills Superman WB worked so hard for to f* up & then give up? They wish. If they want a shot at greatness they finally need to get they backsides up and in that case double down to get those two back and announce something and then stay by it. And if any of these morons want to point fingers at Justice League they need a serious slap on the back of their head because a) JL rolled in money enough to show there is appeal; its just that the expenses where higher than they needed to be. and b) [which comes with a 2nd smack] right now Aquaman proves that a character from a critically panned movie obviously still rolls in the coin if the movie is not only great by itself but also characters curate on top of it.

Also 1 movie per year? urgh. Oh damn it, just keep on slapping. Someone over there obviously is in dire need of it.

I might think different when I'm sober...

nah... I'll just be more ignorant and silent about it.

Jesus... 1 per year. No Supes, no Bats... stupid morons. Might rival Universals Mummy Dark Universe.

I don't know why they're saying Marvel is doing better, because DC, as I said, rules the air waves and, possibly, the streaming services. And don't forget that Marvel went bankrupt while WB did not.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lantern wannabe View Post
    I don't know why they're saying Marvel is doing better, because DC, as I said, rules the air waves and, possibly, the streaming services. And don't forget that Marvel went bankrupt while WB did not.
    The WB buying DC is probably the only reason they didn't end up in the same state. Having the WB allowed DC to produce merch, movies, tv shows, cartoons and so on while Marvel was mostly supported by itself alone. Keeping them in the forefront of peoples minds. Marvel had a few toy deals but they never have the substantial money backing that DC had until Marvel was scoped up by Disney.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lantern wannabe View Post
    Do they? Shows during the CW era Smallville, Birds of Prey, Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow, Black Lighting, Batwoman, Preacher, Constantine, IZombie, Lucifer, Watchmen, Titans, Stargirl, Doom Patrol, Swamp Thing, Krypton, Gotham, & Powerless I think that's all of them that have aired or in production.

Marvel TV has done during that time Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Defenders, Punisher, Agent Carter, Agents of Shield, Inhumans, Gifted, Legion, Runaways, Cloak and Dagger, Loki, Vision and the Scarlet Witch, & Winter Soldier and Falcon. While the DC have had more shows very few if any have really gotten the praise as the Netflix Marvel shows or Legion has.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

It seems possible given WB's new approach to making their moves. Since they are ignoring the shared universe aspect and making more stand alone films, if any of those films does well then they could potentially catch up to Marvel in terms of sales.

However from the perspective of creating a cinematic universe, I would say that given the way things are going currently, they are unlikely to match what Marvel Studio's has created. I think it is actually possible but would require some kind of long term planning and patience, both of which WB doesn't seem to have at the moment.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

No. Marvel got there first so they would always probably come in second over all, but they blundered their chance to get close to that success. At most now, they will have some successful individual franchises. But a shared, interconnected one? They blew it. They fucked up their two biggest characters and while they now have plenty of other characters to rely on, they shouldn't have had to ruin the perceptions of any character to get to that point. They should not be turning to Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam and the others out of desperation because Batman and Superman need to be shelved due to their blunders, they should have always had the sense to utilize ALL their characters. Meanwhile, Marvel has done right by pretty much EVERYONE they have access to. They got their big names out there first and started on the lesser properties even before the big ones ran out of gas.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    No. Marvel got there first so they would always probably come in second over all, but they blundered their chance to get close to that success. At most now, they will have some successful individual franchises. But a shared, interconnected one? They blew it. They fucked up their two biggest characters and while they now have plenty of other characters to rely on, they shouldn't have had to ruin the perceptions of any character to get to that point. They should not be turning to Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam and the others out of desperation because Batman and Superman need to be shelved due to their blunders, they should have always had the sense to utilize ALL their characters. Meanwhile, Marvel has done right by pretty much EVERYONE they have access to. They got their big names out there first and started on the lesser properties even before the big ones ran out of gas.
    I get your point, but don't forget that that something similar is exactly how we got the MCU in the first place. Marvel Studios only ever green-lit Iron Man, which led to Thor and Captain America, because they didn't have the film rights to the "A-list" Marvel characters, namely Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, and the X-Men. They've now been able to get the rights to some of those characters back, but only because they proved that they could be successful without them. So, maybe relying on more obscure characters is exactly what DC needs to do to show the public that there's more to their universe than just Batman and Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I get your point, but don't forget that that something similar is exactly how we got the MCU in the first place. Marvel Studios only ever green-lit Iron Man, which led to Thor and Captain America, because they didn't have the film rights to the "A-list" Marvel characters, namely Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, and the X-Men. They've now been able to get the rights to some of those characters back, but only because they proved that they could be successful without them. So, maybe relying on more obscure characters is exactly what DC needs to do to show the public that there's more to their universe than just Batman and Superman.
    Even without access to their biggest name properties, Marvel still lead with the relative big names they DID have. Cap, Thor, Hulk and Iron-Man were out out there before Dr. Strange and the GOTG. They started at the top and worked their way down, though they seemed to have a plan to always get as many characters as they could out there. They are now at the point where they could probably start making up brand new MCU-exclusive characters and guarantee a success by slapping their logo on it. And the corner of the MU they are adapting would certainly feel as if some things were missing if the bigger characters were left out.

DC/WB had full access to ALL of their characters and didn't know what to do with any of them. Being forced to use non Bat and Super related characters is the one silver lining to come out of any of this, though the fact that they are only turning to them out of desperation doesn't instill a lot of confidence. And they shouldn't have had to be forced to use them in the first place. We live in a world where Spider-Man gets two films in the current MCU era, but lesser known characters get their own films as well. And they all get to interact with each other in the team ups. If DC/WB had their heads in the game, we'd probably have 2-3 films each for Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, GL, Aquaman, etc. planned out by now plus team up movies like Justice League, spin offs for the likes of Supergirl and the Bat-Family members, and at least one film (maybe more) for some more obscure characters.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Even without access to their biggest name properties, Marvel still lead with the relative big names they DID have. Cap, Thor, Hulk and Iron-Man were out out there before Dr. Strange and the GOTG. They started at the top and worked their way down, though they seemed to have a plan to always get as many characters as they could out there. They are now at the point where they could probably start making up brand new MCU-exclusive characters and guarantee a success by slapping their logo on it. And the corner of the MU they are adapting would certainly feel as if some things were missing if the bigger characters were left out.

DC/WB had full access to ALL of their characters and didn't know what to do with any of them. Being forced to use non Bat and Super related characters is the one silver lining to come out of any of this, though the fact that they are only turning to them out of desperation doesn't instill a lot of confidence. And they shouldn't have had to be forced to use them in the first place. We live in a world where Spider-Man gets two films in the current MCU era, but lesser known characters get their own films as well. And they all get to interact with each other in the team ups. If DC/WB had their heads in the game, we'd probably have 2-3 films each for Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, GL, Aquaman, etc. planned out by now plus team up movies like Justice League, spin offs for the likes of Supergirl and the Bat-Family members, and at least one film (maybe more) for some more obscure characters.
    Fair enough, and yeah, it may not be the way that some had hoped, I fully acknowledge that. But its not like DC is scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of characters who are getting their films made because of them shelving Supes and Bats. Wonder Woman? Aquaman? Captain Marvel/Shazam? We're still in pretty A-list character territory. You'd have a better point if they were being forced to make a Brother Power the Geek movie. I just think if they focus on the quality of their films from here on out and just turn out solid film after solid film, people will slowly forget about the somewhat shaky beginning.

Well thats a very specific question that requires a very specific answer: no, because the MCU has all the momentum and people love to bash on the DCEU (can't have a good guy without a bad guy).

So yes, the DCEU is bound to fail and eventually all of those associated with it will come to weep bitter tears of sadness and make rightful obeisance before Marvel and the ghost of Walt Disney. A million Marvel fanboys will at last raise the "I Told You So" Excaliber in joy and triumph as they prepare to run through the streets destroying the last remnants of the Cinematic Universe that Should Not Be Named.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

Aqua man opened to $400 million. What the hell are you guys talking about??

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Fair enough, and yeah, it may not be the way that some had hoped, I fully acknowledge that. But its not like DC is scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of characters who are getting their films made because of them shelving Supes and Bats. Wonder Woman? Aquaman? Captain Marvel/Shazam? We're still in pretty A-list character territory. You'd have a better point if they were being forced to make a Brother Power the Geek movie. I just think if they focus on the quality of their films from here on out and just turn out solid film after solid film, people will slowly forget about the somewhat shaky beginning.
    We definitely are still in A-list territory. But WB has indicated many times that they don't see anybody besides Batman and Superman (or really, just Batman) as A-list and viable.

Wonder Woman and Aquaman both doing well is a good sign, so hopefully that will change. I think I need to see how both Shazam and WW84 do before I start to regain confidence in them. if they keep it up and salvage what they can, I agree people will move on. They need to consistently prove it for a few more films though. I think after that people will learn to forgive a misstep or two again.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by blunt_eastwood View Post
    Aqua man opened to $400 million. What the hell are you guys talking about??
    What does that suppose to mean?

That is something to brag about? Aquaman is liked a lot more than folks really think.

I put it to you like this if you expected a film to make a billion would it be Black Panther or Justice League?
    A Justice League film with 5 guys boasting over 100 solo issues.
    4 boasting successful tv shows. 2 MULTIPLE successful tv shows.
    1 whose franchise 5 guys boasting 100+ solo issues and the most successful female of color with a solo
    Another whose franchise 4 with 100+, a spinoff tv show and DC's most successful black hero solo series.
    Last a guy whose franchise boast 2 spinoffs with 100+ issues and 2 tv shows.

Versus a guy in a catsuit whose success started 20 years ago and the studio DID NOT want to do his movie.

EVERYBODY would have said Justice League would make a billion.

DC's issue is way too much living off Batnan & Superman. WAY too much. Too many cooks trying to dictate the ICONIC movie for certain others than just making a popcorn movie that is a hit like GOTG or Antman.
    Marvel went into the TRASH and dug up guys like Antman, Wasp & Rocket Raccoon-and took DC to school.
    DC on the other hand doesn't even to do that. Their issue is they don't want to. They want to ignore the message the public is telling them. A List or B List or whatever list does not matter if the public thinks it's GOOD.

Blade, Venom, Black Panther and even Miles Morales proved that.

Why can't DC go deep in the dumpster? Why can't they say Rob Zombie here's Brother Geek and 45 million have FUN.

Or Ava Duvernay here's Vixen and $30 million.

Stop going for the ICONIC and do films that are popcorn or the film that will have a LONG run on tv. That stop down and watch whenever it's on type film.

I don't need $300 million risks being made every year. Show everyone DC is more than Batman related guys.