Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Aquaman got a prime Christmas release , Antman got late summer releases.
    On the other Hand Aquaman has the bigger competion, and Marvel can't do Christmas releases, since that date is reserved for other Disney Movies.

It is hilarious think MCU is dependent on "names" at this point that strength of a shared universe is clear
    Avengers: Endgame is basically the conclusion everything the MCU has built up to untill this point. I don't think that they will be able to make a movie that will be as big anytime soon.

Plus once the original avengers retire what you think is happening? Ironman, Captain America, Thor, and Hulk properties are going away?
    Giving the mantle to another character is not an easy task as we have allready seen in the comics.

Let's pretend they do retire these characters they still have Spiderman, Black Panther,F4, X-men, Deadpool and Wolverine. Oh yeah they got Blade, Daredevil, Dr Strange, Punisher, Luke Cage, Iron Fist who all are known solid properties to general public now.
    - Spiderman belongs to Sony, I'm not sure in what capacity they can still use him post Avengers: Endgame for shared movies.
    - Daredevil, Punisher, Luke Cage and Iron Fist were already used up for the Netflix series, I doubt that they make the jump to the big screen
    - with X-men, Deadpool and Wolverine you have still quite popular and very recent incarnations, and integrating a big property like the X-Men in the MCU will probably a big challenge anyway (from a world building perspective)
    - what will happen with Guardians of the Galaxy is also unclear do to the James Gunn Situation

I have more faith in the MCU to develop new heroes than I do with DC tbh. The fact that they are getting a whole new set of toys to play with in the X-Men helps a lot. That's a whole side of the Marvel Universe

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Im not so sure, actually. When Disney bought Marvel the MCU was already well established and successful. And Disney was very vocal about how they had no intention of sticking their fingers in and trying to fix what wasn't broken. And all these years later, from what I can see and what I have heard, the only thing Disney has done is throw more money at Marvel Studios to do with as they see fit. There's been damn little interference that I've heard about, maybe even none.

At this point, if Disney hasn't started meddling with Marvel Studios, I think it is unlikely that they're going to start. If the MCU starts throwing out dud after dud, that'll be different, but as long as they keep on as they have been? Disney would be foolish to start meddling now.

I do agree that the real test will be how the MCU does once the core actors have left. But Marvel has successfully introduced characters since then who could take up those reins, so.....we'll see I guess. I'm honestly not that worried; the MCU has done the impossible time and time again and made Z-list IP's that even comic fans don't care about into globally recognized household names. I dont think the MCU will struggle that much without Downy and Evans but you never know.
    There may have been a bit of tinkering on the comics side. Word was that Disney was horrified when they realized how much Marvel was having to give up to Fox and Sony for licensing on The X-Men, Spider-Man, and the FF. Some think that's when Marvel began trying to emphasize The Inhumans, at the expense of both the X-Men and especially, the FF. None of that, however, appears to have been visited on Marvel Studios.

IMO, Disney may have learned something of a lesson with its handling of The Lucasfilm properties. As Ascended points out, in Marvel they bought a successful organization that they've pretty much allowed to keep on keepin' on.

Things will be different for the MCU when Downey and Evans leave (tbh, I don't think that Hemsworth is as much of an issue), but I doubt it will be a crisis. The real acid test will come when Feige is out of the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    There may have been a bit of tinkering on the comics side.
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if Disney stuck their fingers into the comics, but we were just talking about the Studio.

Its hard to tell if Disney screwed with the publishing or not (for me anyway, I dont read a lot of interviews or anything). The comics were already chasing synergy pretty hard before Disney came into the picture. Hell, the comics started that right off with Fraction's Iron Man, and the decision to push the Inhumans might've come from that rather than Disney telling them to push IP's the movie studio had access to.

But it could definitely be that Disney stuck their noses into the comics side of Marvel. I wouldn't be surprised, I just can't think of anything that clearly indicates it one way or another. The movies though, seem to have been largely (and wisely!) left alone by the Mouse.

Things will be different for the MCU when Downey and Evans leave (tbh, I don't think that Hemsworth is as much of an issue), but I doubt it will be a crisis. The real acid test will come when Feige is out of the picture.
    Yeah, Hemsworth seems like he's quite content to keep playing Thor as long as Waikiti (spelling?) is involved. Hell, I think the man has said that he's actively chasing a fourth Thor film because he had so much fun with Ragnarok and Infinity War. And I hope he sticks around; we've finally got a MCU Thor worthy of the name and it'd be a shame to lose that so quickly.

And I fear the day Feige leaves. That'll rock the MCU to its foundations and I cant imagine Disney being able to replace him with someone equally talented, passionate, and knowledgeable.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

If the MCU starts faltering on the box-office side, you can bank on the fact Disney will do some meddling (regardless of what is said publicly).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Boisterously Confused

... I fear the day Feige leaves. That'll rock the MCU to its foundations and I cant imagine Disney being able to replace him with someone equally talented, passionate, and knowledgeable.
    As well you should. It's not just a matter of Feige's combination of skills and motivation being hard to replace. A big, profitable, important high profile unit like Marvel Studios will attract all kinds of well-placed ambitious hacks who just won't be able to resist tinkering to claim they made it better.

BANNED

As long as DC is interested in only developing its "Trinity" or only Justice League members, Marvel will always run rings around them.

And I fear the day Feige leaves. That'll rock the MCU to its foundations and I cant imagine Disney being able to replace him with someone equally talented, passionate, and knowledgeable.
    Probably not what Feige does is not possible without a team of people,As person in front he gets of all the credit but the is actual success is a team thing. Once the successor comes from in house team it shouldn't be that much off a drop and the hardest job of building up the thing is already done. There is difference between make Google,Amazon,Apple,Facebook, MCU,etc in monsters and maintain them. Think about it who ever is taking over is also getting a long term game plan. When Feige took over there was no gameplan, The biggest reason DC and Sony have floundered they have to make a plan as they go. Marvel has a machine going right now you expect a couple movies from them every year, You except those movies to have cameos,end credits and tie ins to other movie properties ,You expect them to connect up to one big movie.You expect a new slate of movies. As long they are in that cycle they are fine.

The MCU shouldn't have any issue until it is time to reboot the universe, Then all the old framework doesn't matter BUT Marvel has been hasn't gone to a full reboot in comics it will be interesting if the they do it in the MCU. But as long as infrastructure is up MCU is like Apple customer and Iphones,Apple hasn't been innovated for years but fans will eat their products like they are gold.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    As long as DC is interested in only developing its "Trinity" or only Justice League members, Marvel will always run rings around them.
    Serious question If DC can't pull of Superman and Batman,You think they are pulling off Lobo, Elongated Man,Martian Manhunter ? Yeah Marvel has had success with GoG and Antman but built around Iron Man, Thor and Captain America being successful. Successful sure things lets you build the small properties. DC is about push a New Gods project at some point imagine what successful showing a Superman or Justice League movie would have done for a New Gods movie. DC needs to have the big guns working put out a successful Superman,Flash or Batman movie shouldn't be a hard thing. Sticking a small project in between successful Batman and Superman projects will only do good for the small project. DC is not wrong to focus on the Big 7 but Justice League has them shook so they are running towards smaller stuff instead if their core.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 12-28-2018 at 11:10 PM.

Probably not what Feige does is not possible without a team of people,As person in front he gets of all the credit but the is actual success is a team thing. Once the successor comes from in house team it shouldn't be that much off a drop and the hardest job of building up the thing is already done. There is difference between make Google,Amazon,Apple,Facebook, MCU,etc in monsters and maintain them. Think about it who ever is taking over is also getting a long term game plan. When Feige took over there was no gameplan, The biggest reason DC and Sony have floundered they have to make a plan as they go. Marvel has a machine going right now you expect a couple movies from them every year, You except those movies to have cameos,end credits and tie ins to other movie properties ,You expect them to connect up to one big movie.You expect a new slate of movies. As long they are in that cycle they are fine.

The MCU shouldn't have any issue until it is time to reboot the universe, Then all the old framework doesn't matter BUT Marvel has been hasn't gone to a full reboot in comics it will be interesting if the they do it in the MCU. But as long as infrastructure is up MCU is like Apple customer and Iphones,Apple hasn't been innovated for years but fans will eat their products like they are gold.
    I have to disagree. Yes, there are a lot of people who work on these films who are essential to their success, but leadership and a cohesive vision is really important and a huge part of why the MCU works. If the leadership is shaken up in a bad way, everything can fall apart and the many talented people who make these films happen may leave or be hindered from doing what they do best.

I also think there are a lot of ways the MCU can implode. It's not a sure thing just because people like them now. Audiences are fickle and Marvel isn't going to be this popular forever. Regardless of what happens in the future, though, the MCU has made their mark on film history and nothing can change that.

Serious question If DC can't pull of Superman and Batman,You think they are pulling off Lobo, Elongated Man,Martian Manhunter ? Yeah Marvel has had success with GoG and Antman but built around Iron Man, Thor and Captain America being successful. Successful sure things lets you build the small properties.
    Well, I mean, Thor, IM, and Cap weren't necessarily sure things when those movies came out. They may have been big names among comic fans, but I'd say most general audiences either didn't care about them or didn't even know who they were. There is absolutely no reason DC can't make a quality, successful movie about a lesser known character.

Quote Originally Posted by babybats View Post
    I have to disagree. Yes, there are a lot of people who work on these films who are essential to their success, but leadership and a cohesive vision is really important and a huge part of why the MCU works. If the leadership is shaken up in a bad way, everything can fall apart and the many talented people who make these films happen may leave or be hindered from doing what they do best.

I also think there are a lot of ways the MCU can implode. It's not a sure thing just because people like them now. Audiences are fickle and Marvel isn't going to be this popular forever. Regardless of what happens in the future, though, the MCU has made their mark on film history and nothing can change that.
    That is understood but people have been selling "the magic Fegie" when reality it is a team of people and he is the head. Ultimately He has final say and makes great decision but yeah they are actually people around him and people exaggerate his impact some. I am not saying Marvel can't fail ,I am saying it is very easy to for Marvel to stay on safe course.

Quote Originally Posted by babybats View Post
    Well, I mean, Thor, IM, and Cap weren't necessarily sure things when those movies came out. They may have been big names among comic fans, but I'd say most general audiences either didn't care about them or didn't even know who they were. There is absolutely no reason DC can't make a quality, successful movie about a lesser known character.
    It is not matter of them being sure things just known quantities. Marvel core was build on their know quantities they had I am not saying DC can't do smaller movies I am saying big properties support small proprieties when you do it right. It isn't on or the other thing They need to both but getting Superman and Batman right goes along to make people feel good about DC movies in general, Just in the same way getting Iron Man and Cap right made people feel positive about ANY marvel movie. Captain Marvel has had an average trailers imo do you doubt its ability to do good? No. That is where DC needs to get "Oh yeah Firestorm movie is coming out,Superman and Aquaman were good this has to be good too". A good Superman movie would do more DC than Harley Quinn and Birds of Prey, Suicide Squad 2, Batgirl movies they have in the works.

Can it? Sure. Will it? Only time will tell. DC has a lot of ground to cover, the DCEU left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths. Wonder Woman did great and Aquaman is currently doing great. WB understands how to make money with these movies now and get strong crews for the productions, they just really lack cohesion and strong scripts.

Storytelling is the major issue and I hope it doesn't continue, Aquaman and Wonder Woman can get away with weaker scripts because of their important cultural impact but DC can't coast off of that forever. Fun concepts, good characters, and strong development heads built the MCU. It can be done and will be done again, just don't know if DC will be the next to do it or do it better.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

BANNED

DC movies are outpacing MCU movies at the box office. Society is now onboard to what has been the truth all along, the media wants DC to fail. they are harsher to DC while protecting the MCU. I think this is why there is so much support for Aquaman despite less impressive reviews when the movie deserved better.
    Last edited by Jeramas; 12-29-2018 at 01:35 PM.

That should not be important or the focus. they just need to be successful and of good quality.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jeramas View Post
    DC movies are outpacing MCU movies at the box office. Society is now onboard to what has been the truth all along, the media wants DC fail. they are harsher to DC while protecting the MCU. I think this is why there is so much support for Aquaman despite less impressive reviews when the movie deserved better.
    I don't think it's a conspiracy (except among hacks that work for the studios), but I think there is a confirmation bias with Marvel/Disney and DC/Warner movies. If you just took the name off AQUAMAN and showed it to reviewers as SUB-MARINER, in the MCU, there probably would have been a higher RT score. When they know it's from Marvel, reviewers look for the positive; when they know it's from DC, they look for the negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I don't think it's a conspiracy (except among hacks that work for the studios), but I think there is a confirmation bias with Marvel/Disney and DC/Warner movies. If you just took the name off AQUAMAN and showed it to reviewers as SUB-MARINER, in the MCU, there probably would have been a higher RT score. When they know it's from Marvel, reviewers look for the positive; when they know it's from DC, they look for the negative.
    I'm not saying confirmation bias is impossible, but I personally feel like the RT score for Aquaman is right on the money. It's good for the DCEU, but wasn't a good film overall. It suffered from bad writing, basic storytelling problems, below average acting, terrible pacing, and a mixed bag of CGI. But because it's the DCEU, the bar is lowered and it's one of their best films. But yeah, maybe more MCU movies should have worse reviews. IM2 has a 73% rating when I'd bring it down to the 60s to join Aquaman.