Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

There's an absolutely massive Spider-Man vs. Venom omnibus on the way:

http://www.thevenomsite.com/2018/02/...-previews.html
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    Some awesome anniversary covers coming up:

https://www.cbr.com/venom-30th-anniv...ariant-covers/
    Just jumping back this thread, love the Venom variants. I think the ASM #798 one is my favorite, I'm a sucker for Dodson art and I love the moment when MJ encounters Venom in the apartment. It really highlighted the kind of threat he represented.

I've been enjoying Eddie's return, but not the crossover stuff Marvel have been doing with him. Venomverse and Venom, Inc. were pretty dull and forgettable, I haven't started Poison X yet.

Are any Venom fans besides me reading the Poison-X crossover with X-Men Blue? I really enjoy it but I see very little discussion of it on this forum or on the X-Men bforum

I've been sticking to the main book, I feel that while some of these minis have the potential to be interesting, I'm worried we're potentially getting too many while not moving Eddie forward. I felt that the main book starts to develop Eddie and the symbiote in some new ways, but then there will be events that halt that and take us away from main plots for quite a bit of time. In VenomVerse, it ended abruptly and the main book didn't even acknowledge it, but now its follow up, Poison X is currently taking over the main book. I liked parts of Venomverse, but felt unsatisfied with several elements, so I'm not eager to see the Poisons back and having them lead into an even larger event.

A lot of my frustration with Venom/symbiote centric events is all sorts of writers want to leave their mark on the symbiote history (and that's totally fine and encouraged), but there's not a lot of continuity and acknowledgement of past hosts or events. You'll get new bonds and then the character will be sent to limbo like Scorn, or unresolved issues with Hybrid & the dog's current whereabouts, we don't see what's happened to Kasady after Conway's Carnage book or even what happened to Patricia Robinson (I'm okay with this one never being resolved, wasn't a fan of ). My issue is that, there's a lot of connective tissue and room for great things in the symbiote and Eddie Brock's history, but a lot of times it's discarded because the symbiote makes for a cool plot device or event. The disconnect can lead to things like Dark Origin where it majorly contradicts past events; his employment at the Globe, his implied age, the appearance, status and family structure of the Brocks (he only ever had a sister in a weird Nova book previously and in everything else, his mother died in childbirth thus causing the paternal hate).

Things like the Jury, Life Foundation, Anne, the San Francisco Undergrounders, could be utilized in harmony with new content. I'm not against new stuff, but I'd love it to blend with some of what's come before.

I'm enjoying the current book, but the Donny Coates and Ryan Stegman book have got me excited too.
    Voice Actor and Symbiote Fanatic -- Hoping for Anti-Venom's return daily.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngelSliver View Post
    Are any Venom fans besides me reading the Poison-X crossover with X-Men Blue? I really enjoy it but I see very little discussion of it on this forum or on the X-Men bforum
    Nah, I've only been reading the main book, oh and I picked up Venom Inc. The way I see it if I don't show the big guy consistent love the Marvel Office might get rid of him again lol.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I'm enjoying it, though it's a bit shallow. It's important to remember that Poison-X is meant to set-up Venomized, where the Poison story will truly come to fruition. What I'm really looking forward to is The Nativity and the subsequent Cates run where Venom as a character will really be explored with few to no guest stars.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockdingo View Post
    I've been sticking to the main book, I feel that while some of these minis have the potential to be interesting, I'm worried we're potentially getting too many while not moving Eddie forward. I felt that the main book starts to develop Eddie and the symbiote in some new ways, but then there will be events that halt that and take us away from main plots for quite a bit of time. In VenomVerse, it ended abruptly and the main book didn't even acknowledge it, but now its follow up, Poison X is currently taking over the main book. I liked parts of Venomverse, but felt unsatisfied with several elements, so I'm not eager to see the Poisons back and having them lead into an even larger event.

A lot of my frustration with Venom/symbiote centric events is all sorts of writers want to leave their mark on the symbiote history (and that's totally fine and encouraged), but there's not a lot of continuity and acknowledgement of past hosts or events. You'll get new bonds and then the character will be sent to limbo like Scorn, or unresolved issues with Hybrid & the dog's current whereabouts, we don't see what's happened to Kasady after Conway's Carnage book or even what happened to Patricia Robinson (I'm okay with this one never being resolved, wasn't a fan of ). My issue is that, there's a lot of connective tissue and room for great things in the symbiote and Eddie Brock's history, but a lot of times it's discarded because the symbiote makes for a cool plot device or event. The disconnect can lead to things like Dark Origin where it majorly contradicts past events; his employment at the Globe, his implied age, the appearance, status and family structure of the Brocks (he only ever had a sister in a weird Nova book previously and in everything else, his mother died in childbirth thus causing the paternal hate).

Things like the Jury, Life Foundation, Anne, the San Francisco Undergrounders, could be utilized in harmony with new content. I'm not against new stuff, but I'd love it to blend with some of what's come before.

I'm enjoying the current book, but the Donny Coates and Ryan Stegman book have got me excited too.
    After Venomized, there's a two-part story where Venom has no guest stars, and which sets up Cates' arc. I agree, the constant crossovers are annoying, but they'll be ending pretty soon. In a recent interview, Cates and Stegman state that old supporting characters will be coming back, so we might get characters like Beck, The Jury, etc. As for Patricia Robertson, someone stated recently on Reddit that the Mania symbiote might be the product of Venom absorbing the Robertson symbiote, though I don't know if that's been confirmed. I do most certainly agree with the discrepancies between Dark Origin and Lethal Protector, and I actually submitted that question to be answered by Cates and Stegman in an upcoming interview:

http://www.thevenomsite.com/2018/02/...ates-ryan.html

I have a feeling that Kasady's location will be revealed later on in Go Down Swinging. Since the Venom movie is coming out in a few months, I doubt that Marvel will let him be killed off right now. As for Brock's sister, it's possible that Carl remarried and had another child; Lethal Protector never mentions it, but does not rule it out either. She was actually mentioned back in the 90s, in the Venom vs. Hulk crossover if I'm not mistaken. I do want to see characters like Toxin and Scream come back (last I checked, four of the Life Foundation symbiotes are still bonded with the dog from Deadpool vs. Carnage). Venom has been treated like a gimmick for years, with people switching things in and out of continuity at random, but with the upcoming stories, I do think that we will begin to see some consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Nah, I've only been reading the main book, oh and I picked up Venom Inc. The way I see it if I don't show the big guy consistent love the Marvel Office might get rid of him again lol.
    The last and upcoming Venom issues both directly tie in with the story running in X-Men Blue, so in order to get the full story, you have to read those issues as well; there are only three in total.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

The last and upcoming Venom issues both directly tie in with the story running in X-Men Blue, so in order to get the full story, you have to read those issues as well; there are only three in total.
    I know, but I'm not that interested in X-Men Blue right now so I'll just read the summaries of the missing parts. My biggest fear is that Marvel will take the Symbiote away from Eddie again and cancel the series if sales fall too low to fast, which is why I buy all the main stuff.
    Last edited by Celgress; 03-05-2018 at 06:54 PM.

Just caught up on the Venom Xmen Blue crossover. I am loving it.

I know, but I'm not that interested in X-Men Blue right now so I'll just read the summaries of the missing parts. My biggest fear is that Marvel will take the Symbiote away from Eddie again and cancel the series if sales fall too low to fast, which is why I buy all the main stuff.
    Shame Shame Shame Shame Shame Shame

I haven't been following the news about the Venom movie, but I believe Brock will have the Symbiote, correct? I doubt if Marvel takes the Symbiote away from Brock with the movie coming out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Just caught up on the Venom Xmen Blue crossover. I am loving it.
    Yeah, it is one of my favorite Venom stories in a while, even if the X-Men Blue cast seem to be getting most of the panel time. And I'm looking forward to seeing who the new villain will be in Venomized coming out of this story.

I have, but there's not much to discuss about it if you're a Venom fan to be honest, he didn't do much other than punch bad guys. Don't get me wrong, i don't think its bad, i like it, i'm just not very happy with Venom's role in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockdingo View Post
    That's what i've been complaining for the past year, we've had very little character development since Eddie got the symbiote back, 'cause Marvel has been throwing events and cross-overs his way every two other months, it's like the 90s all over again. I didn't mind about Venomverse much since it didn't affect Venom's own book, but Venom.inc and now Poison-X had. PoisonX is basically an X-Men blue story with Venom guest starring, i mean Costa isn't even writing the Venom parts of the cross-over.
    But i believe all that will change once Cates takes over in may, i think great stories will come from him and Venom will finally have the book he deserves

I wouldn't worry about that, at least for now. Venom book, when not being part of any event/crossover has been selling around 25k lately, which is not great but if you consider that Deadpool (who is a very popular character) is selling between 25 and 30k, is not bad either. Also, i believe sales will increase with the new creative team; and there's a Venom movie coming out in october.

There's a new slew of variant covers celebrating the 30th anniversary. My personal favorite is the one with the Life Foundation symbiotes:

http://www.thevenomsite.com/2018/03/...nt-covers.html

There's a new slew of variant covers celebrating the 30th anniversary. My personal favorite is the one with the Life Foundation symbiotes:

This one is pretty awesome..

30thdoctorstrange388.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Imago View Post
    This one is pretty awesome..

30thdoctorstrange388.jpg
    That is indeed an awesome tribute cover.

The sad thing is, we never got a straight up fight between Venom and the Life Foundation symbiotes in the comics. The best alternative was the Separation Anxiety videogame.

Of the covers shown here, I prefer the Weapon H#2 cover with Jack O' Lantern on it. Just because I like Jack O' Lantern.