Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Yes, me too! I have always watched this whenever it is on television.

To me, it is the best of what I call "modern" showing---anything after the 1951 classic with Alastair Simm--- up to today. To me, this Albert Finney version was the last excellent one made.
    There was a good TV movie with George C Scott as Scrooge but haven't seen that in a while,

Meanwhile, All I Want for Christmas from Love Actually. I thought the puppy love between the little girl and the little boy was so charming.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    There was a good TV movie with George C Scott as Scrooge but haven't seen that in a while,

Meanwhile, All I Want for Christmas from Love Actually. I thought the puppy love between the little girl and the little boy was so charming.

Yes, I saw that, 1984 release, I believe. I was not impressed as George C. Scott lacked emotion. He stated his lines very plainly. A Scrooge howls and bellows his statements! Same for the 1999 version with Patrick Stewart.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

This always lifted my spirits! And it's a christmasy cover and was featured in one of my favorite Christmas movies Scrooged.

Here's a recent addition to my Christmas playlist:

Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

.....and another from Otis Redding:

Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Favorite Xmas albums are the ones by Luther Vandross, Nancy Wilson and Dionne Warwick. Also both efforts by the Temptations.

Favorite songs:

This Christmas by Donny Hathaway

(then nothing for a looong time, it is so far ahead)

Soul Holiday by Sounds of Blackness
    Do you hear what I hear in the Gladys Knight & the Pips version
    Some Day at Christmas, Stevie Wonder
    Since then, I got (and am enjoying) the Christmas albums by The Four Tops, India Arie & Joe Sample with Guests, and Jeffrey Osborne.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post

And the actor the played the original Robert Bacall, Edward Woodward, played one of the ghosts of X-Mas past/present. Can't remember. Great version.

Astonishing Member

For my money, the all-time best version of the Dickens tale is the 1951 film starring Alistair Sim as Scrooge. One thing that makes the movie so atmospheric is the soundtrack by composer Richard Addinsell, who blends traditional Christmas carols with the old Scottish folk song "Barbara Allen". The familiar ballad is played in the background throughout the movie, and then it is sung explicitly in the climactic scene on Christmas night when Scrooge (who has been transformed by his experiences in the previous evening) shows up at his nephew Fred's house to accept the dinner invitation that he had refused with the famous "Christmas is a humbug!" tirade just 24 hours earlier. The soundtrack is one I like to listen to all by itself, and the movie is so good that I watch it any time of the year, not just at Christmas.

Last edited by seismic-2; 12-14-2020 at 10:12 PM.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

New Orleans "12 Days" parody classic. Most might be hard for outsiders to get, but the spirit is easy.

f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    For my money, the all-time best version of the Dickens tale is the 1951 film starring Alistair Sim as Scrooge. One thing that makes the movie so atmospheric is the soundtrack by composer Richard Addinsell, who blends traditional Christmas carols with the old Scottish folk song "Barbara Allen". The familiar ballad is played in the background throughout the movie, and then it is sung explicitly in the climactic scene on Christmas night when Scrooge (who has been transformed by his experiences in the previous evening) shows up at his nephew Fred's house to accept the dinner invitation that he had refused with the famous "Christmas is a humbug!" tirade just 24 hours earlier. The soundtrack is one I like to listen to all by itself, and the movie is so good that I watch it any time of the year, not just at Christmas.

Yes, I have always loved "Barbara Allen"! It goes so well with the scene. I thought it was a Scottish tune, but was not sure. I too watch it whenever I can.

Jesus the Reindeer - Emmy the Great & Tim Wheeler
    Santa Claus Was My Lover - Culturcide
    Don't Shoot Me Santa - the Killers
    Things Fall Apart - Cristina
    Don't Believe In Christmas - the Sonics
    Another Lonely Christmas - Prince
    Christmas Was Better in the 80s - the Futureheads
    Christmas is Cancelled - the Long Blondes
    A Christmas Duel - the Hives & Cyndi Lauper
    Christmas at the Zoo - Flaming Lips
    Christmas Number One - the Black Arts
    The 12 Days of Christmas - the Yobs