Default I just want to hear your opinion

Hello, I'm new here, so please be nice

Just want to ask your opinion

Here is a cover of an old comic book from Indonesia, called Santini vs Satelit Omega.

It was released in 1978 and consists of 15 chapters. The superheroine is called Santini (sounds Italian, I know). She's more like an amalgamation of Marvel's Black Widow and DC's Wonder Woman. She's a super-secret agent who can fly and has super strength.Here she tackles the invasion of flying cyborg mummies.

It's ultra rare now, and only few have it as collector item

here's the cover of the , from what I can gather, 9th-11th chapter of the comic, depicting Santini being held captive by the vilainess who claims to be the descendant of Cleopatra (Like Shiwan Khan from The Shadow, although Shiwan is a legit descendant of Genghis Khan)

You may see that she's only wearing what appears to be a black bikini/ underwear set and being chained and somehow powerless

Do you think that this kind of cover will be... offensive to a certain degree?

Here's the picture

Santini.jpg

Here's the other cover variants from chapter 1-4 and 5-8

SANTINI-Satelit-Omega.jpg

I'm not trying to offend a certain point of few here, just want to hear a word or two from you my friends
    Last edited by Carnotaurus Wrex; 12-26-2018 at 04:57 AM.

First, welcome to CBR!

While I never heard of this comic, it seems interesting.

That cover does not offend me personally, but I cannot speak for everyone.

I like the other 2 covers with full costume.

Welcome! And thanks for letting me know about a comic book from a land and a time both far away. It's a really nice first post!

To answer your question: no, I don't see anything offensive at all. But to be perfectly honest I'm pretty blind to such things. Let just say that according to the covers I would let my kids read this comics. I'd have a look at the inside first of course. (And I have no kids... )
    Last edited by Abe; 12-26-2018 at 09:26 AM.
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

The covers by themselves are perfectly fine, though I cannot say anything about how it would be perceived in Indonesia in the 70s.

The critique against this type of scantily-clad women who are presented as either helpless or sexualised or both have little to do with the actual content but rather their prevalence: that that's the primary thing that women are depicted as.

The first cover gives off a James Bond vibe, the movies at that time often had women in as little as possible. Personally, I like the 2 variants better.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    The first cover gives off a James Bond vibe, the movies at that time often had women in as little as possible. Personally, I like the 2 variants better.
    Indeed. I actually know the creator. Quite a decent, kind fellow. He admitted that he was inspired by James Bond. The difference is that the one being chained is the hero (who chains a superhuman with just two pairs of chains, anyway?)
    Last edited by Carnotaurus Wrex; 12-26-2018 at 08:01 AM.

SPOILER:
    yes, this has nothing to do with the content, besides that she spent the next 3 chapters just in her two piece and knee high stiletto (yes, she was captured when scuba diving in a pair of stiletto. Just...how) trying to get out of the underwater facility where she's being kept
    Last edited by Carnotaurus Wrex; 12-26-2018 at 08:42 AM.

This comic, from what I've gathered, wasn't meant for kids. But that doesn't stop kids to look at it back then

This looks like it's the style of a Barbarella. And yes, I am ignoring the sci fi vs adventure difference. The relative dress of the female protagonists is similar and there really is nothing outside the general range of pop culture heroines here.

I'm not offended by any of those covers.
    If you're in doubt, my advice wold be to go with the two full-costume covers.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carnotaurus Wrex View Post
    This comic, from what I've gathered, wasn't meant for kids. But that doesn't stop kids to look at it back then
    It definitely wouldn't have stopped the teenage me (newly minted) from looking at it back in '78!

As for it being offensive, I don't think so. Yeah, it's cheesecakey, but that's about it.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

It’s just a bit of comicbook kitsch. Nothing offensive.

Seeing the chains, I keep thinking of the cover with Phantom Lady being chained, and that was used in testimony way back when before the US Congress on comic book violence.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lantern wannabe View Post
    Seeing the chains, I keep thinking of the cover with Phantom Lady being chained, and that was used in testimony way back when before the US Congress on comic book violence.
    Do you think that such scene necessary for a story? I know that this trope has been around for a long time