Thread: Where to start

Default Where to start

So I saw the two Hellboy movies last week and really enjoyed them. It makes me want to start reading the comics. Where is a good place for a Hellboy Newb to start? Can I start from the beginning?

Thanks in advance for all the help.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Well there’s a couple good starting places. You could jump into the first miniseries, Seed of Destruction and proceed from there. Only problem with that, is it’s not the best story in the series. Good, but things go uphill immediately after that. It’s now collected in several forms including recent cheap Omnibuses. Or you could find a copy of the story The Corpse, which was a one shot set in Hellboys past that is generally viewed as a perfect distillation if the series. It can be read as a complete standalone

Here’s a reading order that tries to cover everything including the different formats. Don’t get intimidated. All the series can be read individually. But if you enjoy them and expand into others they all build in interesting ways

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/an...ng-order-2018/

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I tend to like reading a character's first story when reading for the first time, so I would recommend reading Hellboy's first story, Seed of Destruction.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

The current omnibus editions of the main series are perfect for new fans. All the main Mike Mignola penned Hellboy stories are in those six paperback volumes. From there, you're free to dive into the spin-offs and such if you want to.

When originally published the stories often hopscotched around Hellboy's life, totally out of order. These omnibus versions for the first time put Hellboy's life in chronological order!

The Complete Short Stories Volume 1
    The Complete Short Stories Volume 2
    Seed of Destruction
    Strange Places
    The Wild Hunt
    Hellboy in Hell

Thanks for the help.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I think I'm going to jump back into Seed of Destruction it has been a while since I've read through it. So weird to look back at it now and see Abe in a disguise, and Trevor dying as soon as he is introduced is trippy.