Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default JJ Abrams Live Action Remake Of "Your Name"

Your name is the highest grossing animated film in japan knocking out spirited away (great film) after 16 years!

Abrams is making a live action film! Here is a update.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...erview/.141281

Animated trailer.

BANNED

Based on the trailer, it does seem like the most stunning anime ever. That's a pretty low bar to hurdle

And this barely makes it. It's a WB Justice League-level animation. If it works for you, I'm glad. I'm not excited. Doesn't make me interested in the least for a live action version

But i'm 60 years old. Not exactly the best judge of what's going to be a hit.

No excitement at all for any live action adaptation of anime, but this does remind me I really need to see Your Name.

Empty is thy hand!

Abrams doing what Abrams does "best."

Your Name was a wonderful, haunting movie. With stunning animation. Not sure how the live action will work.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

This will fail. Its based on unique cultural elements which the west is missing frankly, Abrams is a mediocre director at best whom relies on mystery boxes far too much and everyone will compare it to Freaky Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    This will fail. Its based on unique cultural elements which the west is missing frankly, Abrams is a mediocre director at best whom relies on mystery boxes far too much and everyone will compare it to Freaky Friday.
    I read that the Japanese rights holders to the film want Abrams & Eric Heisserer to create the film with a western point of view, so the film's definitely going to be a bit different than the anime.

And this barely makes it. It's a WB Justice League-level animation. If it works for you, I'm glad. I'm not excited. Doesn't make me interested in the least for a live action version
    Your name has some great animation. Even if you don't like the movie that animation on the big-screen is great! There are parts where it just shows the background.

Also not every anime is dragonball or sailor moon. There are really good anime films out there that if live action would win academy awards.

Chris stuckmann's review. (he loved the animation)

AJBopp just doesn't like anime. Those of us who delight in movies like this or anything from Miyazaki would differ.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Man, i loved that movie so freaking much. Between that one and Silent Voice we sure had some fine anime movies recently.

But Jar Jar freaking Abrams. Does that dude really have to ruin everything i like lol? I swear, he's like my movie nemesis or something.

A fcking remake of a movie released not even two years ago, no shame.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Based on the trailer, it does seem like the most stunning anime ever. That's a pretty low bar to hurdle

But i'm 60 years old. Not exactly the best judge of what's going to be a hit.
    Not to come off as ageist but if you really think that looks like WB Justice League animation you are definitely pushing 60

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Not to come off as ageist but if you really think that looks like WB Justice League animation you are definitely pushing 60

I am over 60 and loved Your Name and appreciate how good the animation is. It is not only WB Justice League level at all.

The anime was excellent, and very well-illustrated, but the central story is something that can be adapted into live action pretty easily (two teenagers from different parts of the country start experiencing the lives of the other.) There was a lot about the original that was unique to Japanese culture (centuries old rural rituals), but it should be possible to do a film that covers different issues in the US.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Man, i loved that movie so freaking much. Between that one and Silent Voice we sure had some fine anime movies recently.

But Jar Jar freaking Abrams. Does that dude really have to ruin everything i like lol? I swear, he's like my movie nemesis or something.

A fcking remake of a movie released not even two years ago, no shame.
    The Departed came out four years after Infernal Affairs.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets