Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I lasted about 9 episodes into Arrow. Maybe I will catch up. Ill give Flash and Gotham a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by MykeHavoc View Post
    I lasted about 9 episodes into Arrow...
    It gets much, much better. I thought the first few episodes were pretty blah and I stopped watching. I went back to it though and I'm glad I did. Best comic book show on TV. If you're a fan of the DC universe it is well worth your time.
    If you are not reading Lazarus, you should be.

Incredible Member

Like Arrow, these shows aren't going to win emmys anytime soon.

But how can you not be excited?

I can enjoy them for what they are. Just soak in the weekly fan service and move on.
    Last edited by SmokeMonster; 07-28-2014 at 07:18 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    What?! I tried watching teen wolf but it's just really nasty IMO.
    Haha, well I was just using that as a sort of 'it's so bad, even this is better!' example, I suppose. But from what I've seen of that show (not much) it has stronger acting (not from the lead, admittedly) and much better directing/writing/editing.

There's something something very b-movie about Arrow. It's hard to put my finger on, but there's an overall lack somehow in production.

Again, though, Gotham looks fantastic to me.

I guess I'm not particularly interested in the fanservice elements. What I tend to like about comics are the core elements, the themes and maybe a bit of the wonder and morality. I'd glady take a show that not once referenced any of the 'mythology', or did anything overtly superheroic, if it meant stronger execution. All that stuff is, to me, window dressing, it has no intrinsic value.

I take the same approach to comics, I might add. What made Lemire's "Green Arrow" so strong was...Andrea Sorrentino, and that's because he was ploughing new ground, defining a visual language unlike anything we had seen for the character and the series. Lemire's minor tweaking and re-imagining was, I thought, unremarkable. Certainly with the knowledge that Sorrentino was leaving, I can see why Lemire chose to leave as well.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'm going to give KID FLASH a shot, since it looks like it will be at least fun. THE FLASH is a wonderfully kinetic and vibrant character with one of the best designs in superhero comics. If they hit the right sweet spot, it'll be great.

I like the more whimsical approach there. ARROW is far too self serious for me.

Astonishing Member

Did you watch the pilot? Both it and Constantine have been leaked, so you can make some judgements (although they'll be reshooting the end of Constantine to kill off the supporting character, who was terrible).

The leaked Flash pilot was pretty decent despite some cringeworthy dialogue. I'm looking forward to it more than Arrow this fall.

BTW Deniz, glad to see your blog is up and running again!
    Last edited by Pharozonk; 07-28-2014 at 08:42 PM.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    The leaked Flash pilot was pretty decent despite some cringeworthy dialogue. I'm looking forward to it more than Arrow this fall.
    I feel similarly; the overall lighter tone allows a bit more forgiveness for the tin earned dialogue and the hammy acting, I think. Good enough in the long term? Who knows. But in the short time, I'll give it a shot.

BTW Deniz, glad to see you're blog up and running again!
    Thanks! It'll take a bit of a different direction this time around, but hopefully it will still satisfy!

I'm so happy Sarah is back as Black Canary. I really can't stand Laurel and was hoping they'd prolong her becoming Canary for as long as possible. Katie Cassidy is a terrible actress and I can't even imagine her pretending to be a badass superhero.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeMonster View Post
    Like Arrow, these shows aren't going to win emmys anytime soon.

But how can you not be excited?

I can enjoy them for what they are. Just soak in the weekly fan service and move on.
    Emmy has become one of if not the most biased award show.

The Constantine show looks like a really corny and toned down version of Hellblazer. Sucks that it's not on a Cable channel instead of NBC.

The Flash should be fun though.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    Haha, well I was just using that as a sort of 'it's so bad, even this is better!' example, I suppose. But from what I've seen of that show (not much) it has stronger acting (not from the lead, admittedly) and much better directing/writing/editing.

There's something something very b-movie about Arrow. It's hard to put my finger on, but there's an overall lack somehow in production.

Again, though, Gotham looks fantastic to me.

I guess I'm not particularly interested in the fanservice elements. What I tend to like about comics are the core elements, the themes and maybe a bit of the wonder and morality. I'd glady take a show that not once referenced any of the 'mythology', or did anything overtly superheroic, if it meant stronger execution. All that stuff is, to me, window dressing, it has no intrinsic value.

I take the same approach to comics, I might add. What made Lemire's "Green Arrow" so strong was...Andrea Sorrentino, and that's because he was ploughing new ground, defining a visual language unlike anything we had seen for the character and the series. Lemire's minor tweaking and re-imagining was, I thought, unremarkable. Certainly with the knowledge that Sorrentino was leaving, I can see why Lemire chose to leave as well.
    I'll just say 1 thing, I believe in 2nd chances. I think the show started out without much of the direction, they tried to take themselves too seriously but had tried to cater to CW's core audience. There was a little cheese and teen soap which fwiw was very smallville-esque. I never had a huge problem with smallville so I could over look the soap. Not saying it started out bad, just slow (unlike agents of shield which was just dull and boring).
    But as time goes by, the acting got a lot better, there were much more emphasis on better writing and directing. There was a build up every season, the flashback went to meh to amazing, the big bad of each season was intriguing. After a short season, everything got so much better. Yes, I believe in good execution as well, but face it, it's not winning any Emmys but by no means is it a bad tv show. I just felt like arrow is something that I needed to give credit to because tbh, without arrow I don't think we'll see what we have on screen today. 5 DC comics related tv series.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mastermind View Post
    The Constantine show looks like a really corny and toned down version of Hellblazer. Sucks that it's not on a Cable channel instead of NBC.
    It wouldn't suck if Bryan Fuller was doing it instead of Goyer.

Astonishing Member

Another thing I need to add, arrow has one of the best action scenes on tv.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    It wouldn't suck if Bryan Fuller was doing it instead of Goyer.
    I'm just really waiting for spectre, dr fate and maybe zee.