Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Bendis’ Uncanny run

Is it any good? Thought I’d as some opinions before I blind buy. Thanks!

I thought it started out strong, then kind of fizzed out. Like most stuff Bendis writes unfortunately. There’s a decent premise he’s running with, Cyclops as revolutionary leader, but the execution kind of falls flat. It almost seemed to me like Bendis got bored with it and started phoning it in after awhile.

Extraordinary Member

The first 10 issues or so are pretty good. Bendis' dialogue in particular was just fun. But starting around issue 12 it got involved in the Battle of the Atom line-wide event and that story really wasn't good. It had its moments, but that was it. In the 20s it had a long story called 'the Last Will and Testament of Charles Xavier' that would have been good if it was 2-3 issues shorter, but really dragged. And then it ended strong with a series of standalone issues that were pretty good again. So a good beginning and ending, but a weak middle because of 2 longer stories that got in the way.

The main focus doesn’t really go anywhere, but there are some good smaller arcs in it. Maybe I’m biased because it was the last time Marvel wasn’t trying to ruin Emma, but I think it typically gets more hate than it deserves.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Basically it's good **** until the damn Original Sin tie-in story arc.

It's hard to say. It's one of the arcs people love or hate, but I would say the general consensus is that it has a decent beginning but runs out of steam.

It also strongly depends on how much you enjoy Cyclops and what Bendis does with him. I don't and don't, so I dropped the books after a while.

Basically, it makes a good case for getting it from the library or subscribing to Marvel Unlimited for a month. I definitely would never buy it blind.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

A promising and strong start, but then it fell flat. I want to say after Battle of the Atom it dragged and the ending was disappointing.

Bendis' Uncanny is like getting the succ where you never nut but you're still always getting the succ. Feel me?
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

It largely depends on how you feel about Bendis' writing, he has consistent stylistic tendencies that people either seem to love or hate. Personally, I'm not very fond of his work.

Regarding his Uncanny run, the art was great throughout and there were some intriguing ideas. But, the characterizations ranged from somewhat adequate to way off. His dialogue, while occasionally entertaining, was repetitive and not suited for many of the characters he was writing. And pretty much every single one of his potentially good ideas had incredibly poor "resolutions". The SHIELD war and Last Will storylines had no redeeming qualities at all to me, they were Austin-bad.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Bendis' Uncanny is like getting the succ where you never nut but you're still always getting the succ. Feel me?
    You only say that cuz Emma Frost was in the book.

BANNED

Last X-Men run with actually interesting and creative ideas. Also one of the best takes on Cyclops and his bromance with Magik.

The execution of the main theme is very lackluster, though, and the whole revolution thing goes in circles until Bendis decides for the Washington speech and then it ends. But there are some real gems there. The whole X-Men vs SHIELD concept, the issue with Cyclops' talk with Matthew Malloy, the one-shot stories with Morph and the one with Kitty and Magik are great. Shame Bendis could never really do all he set out to do. At least we had X-Nation for 3 or 4 pages in Hickman's run, which was probably Bendis' original endgame.

It's a waste of time.

Criminally underrated. People like to hate on it bc it was Bendis but it was enjoyable with great art. IA with sentiments that it starts off strong but the Original Sin stuff really dragged it down with its repetitiveness and story which barely moved.

It's one of the most franchise damaging runs in X-Men history.

It's not awful; it has it's moments but lacks a true direction (especially coming from the "flagship" title). The concept of the 05 returning would have been a good mini series but it lasted 5 years. 5 YEARS.

Aside from Iceman coming out I can't think of really anything positive that came out of the run. It destroyed continuity and killed interest in time travel.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    It's one of the most franchise damaging runs in X-Men history.

It's not awful; it has it's moments but lacks a true direction (especially coming from the "flagship" title). The concept of the 05 returning would have been a good mini series but it lasted 5 years. 5 YEARS.

Aside from Iceman coming out I can't think of really anything positive that came out of the run. It destroyed continuity and killed interest in time travel.
    Thats all stuff that came out of All New X-men. I can see how you can say that series was franchise damaging, but that wasnt core to Uncanny although things obviously bled over as they were sister titles. Bendis' Uncanny didnt really damage or change much about the X-men in the long run