Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bendis: "Damn, I've set up Cyclops as the franchise's most interesting and unpredictable character. I can leave the X-Office knowing I left them with this gold!"

Panic: "Nah, dog."
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Amazing Member

I really like it. But I like Bendis.

Large parts of his run are just the X-Men hanging out. I found it refreshing.

I liked it, but I typically like Bendis' work (though I understand the common criticisms he gets). The students were interesting, I liked the direction an the lineup of the team (minus the O5 when they were around.)

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Thats all stuff that came out of All New X-men. I can see how you can say that series was franchise damaging, but that wasnt core to Uncanny although things obviously bled over as they were sister titles. Bendis' Uncanny didnt really damage or change much about the X-men in the long run
    It completely connected to Uncanny. His two books were basically one title being published multiple times a month. The 05 join Cyclops side and the real direction for the entire franchise is "the 05 are in the present"... for 5 YEARS! That's not a direction. Plus all of the new students/characters were pretty much awful.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Bendis' Uncanny is like getting the succ where you never nut but you're still always getting the succ. Feel me?
    SO FUCKING TRUE!!!!! it's like, "just stop. i'll finish myself off!"

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

The O5 joined Scott's side but the only adventure they had together was the Future Brotherhood attacking the school. All-New X-Men contained the O5. While the other books (Wood's X-Men, Amazing, etc.) focused on their own thing (and Wolverine's death).

NOTHING happened that entire run. all they did was talk. and emma was written out of character. bends never got her voice.

Starts off great, takes a hit after Battle of the Atom but is still good, goes off the rails completely with the Last Will and Testament of Charles Xavier. The latter is only saved from being the worst arc of the modern era by the lack of long term damage done since at the end of the 9-10 issue arc Bendis retcons it away so that the entire story never happened in the first place. As you can imagine, knowing that would be his ending, Bendis spends several issue breaking everything and killing everyone, even the entire casts of other books.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    It completely connected to Uncanny. His two books were basically one title being published multiple times a month. The 05 join Cyclops side and the real direction for the entire franchise is "the 05 are in the present"... for 5 YEARS! That's not a direction. Plus all of the new students/characters were pretty much awful.
    They werent though. It wasnt like X-men and Uncanny in the late 90s under Davis. They were sister titles but ANX and Uncanny had distinct plots with ANX exclusively focusing on the O5 kids and Uncanny being on Scott's team, revoluton and new recruits. Outside of the BOTA crossover, each book had its own story arcs as well. The time travel O5 were not the focus of Uncanny. Bendis let that be ANX's thing

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    The O5 joined Scott's side but the only adventure they had together was the Future Brotherhood attacking the school. All-New X-Men contained the O5. While the other books (Wood's X-Men, Amazing, etc.) focused on their own thing (and Wolverine's death).
    and that story didnt even take place in Uncanny. The Future Brotherhood's return was in ANX 26-30 and didnt bleed over into Uncanny which was doing the UXM vs SHIELD story at the time. Its false revisionist history to suggest the books were one title published biweekly
    Last edited by Havok83; 12-27-2018 at 12:20 PM.

They werent though. It wasnt like X-men and Uncanny in the late 90s under Davis. They were sister titles but ANX and Uncanny had distinct plots with ANX exclusively focusing on the O5 kids and Uncanny being on Scott's team, revoluton and new recruits. Outside of the BOTA crossover, each book had its own story arcs as well. The time travel O5 were not the focus of Uncanny. Bendis let that be ANX's thing.
    Agree to disagree. It wasn't exactly like Alan Davis run which was more directly connected. (And I'm glad you did that comparison because that is another weak time in X-Men history where there wasn't much direction and was just treading water). This was like Bendis New and Mighty Avengers. Different perspectives of the same events/direction which was.... no direction. The titles featured "different casts" (aka Cyclops) were still constantly in each others book. He ruined time travel and alternative realities... which Marvel still wants to be pushing. Character studies aren't interesting when there are no stakes and multiple versions of the same character running around. Bendis is a hit or miss writer. Jessica Jones is a masterpiece, New Avengers had some cons but was a game changers, Dark Avengers was a lot of fun; he is great at writing events but this run was not only a huge miss but had long term damaging effects to the X-Men. Does not live up to the hype and credibility of his name/reputation.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

BANNED

I don't get why blame Bendis for the O5 staying after he left since it's not like he ordered them to stay. He set up Cyclops' new path and that was ignored, he set up the O5 staying and that was followed upon, it's the responsibility of the higher powers, not his.

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    I don't get why blame Bendis for the O5 staying after he left since it's not like he ordered them to stay. He set up Cyclops' new path and that was ignored, he set up the O5 staying and that was followed upon, it's the responsibility of the higher powers, not his.
    yeah, Marvel could have used Secret Wars shenanigans to send them back, especially with the FF fixxing the multiverse.

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    yeah, Marvel could have used Secret Wars shenanigans to send them back, especially with the FF fixxing the multiverse.
    He brought them there and then kept them there. It's clear Bendis had no actual plans for the series as the end of his run was rushed and meaningless. Marvel is still to blame as well. I actually thought Secret War was going to be the big answer to all the time travel, alternate reality nonsense that kept appearing but it didn't help and might have made it worse.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

I have to agree with a lot of other posters here: it started out really strong (perhaps the strongest opening since Bendis's own New Avengers 14 years ago) but lost focus after the crapfest known as Battle of the Atom and just meandered to the finish.

Funny, a crappy crossover (Civil War) also derailed his NA run: seems Bendis had an issue regaining traction in a book after being shoehorned into an ill-conceived event.

Overall, I wouldn't call the run bad. It just fails to live up to its own potential, even though there were some good stories down the line (the ANXM storyline with the future Brotherhood was actually really good). I also liked Uncanny 600, even though it was immediately shat on by editorial.
    Last edited by Sam Robards, Comic Fan; 12-27-2018 at 01:07 PM.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

When i got it monthly, i thought is was just all right. I didn't like Bachelo's art either. it's confusing and definitely not my style at all. Reading Bendis' run as a whole after it was over, i found myself actually liking it quite a lot. Bachelo's art still annoyed me, but anka and frazier irving came on at parts to ease the bachelo art a little