Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    4

    Default Must Have Single Issues

    So for 2019, I am trying to give up buying new issues. I've been reading for 25 years or so, and my pull list has fluctuated up and down quite a bit. But a couple years ago I bought Marvel Unlimited and am finally using that as my excuse to give up print issues.

    So, I figure I would use those monthly savings to buy up older issues that I've always been interested in...

    What are some older issues/storylines that folks keep as crown jewels of their collections? First issues, first appearances, best storyline etc.

    I am mostly a Marvel fan, but am also a Batman Rogues fan.

    Anyway, here's my first run at my list:

    Amazing Spider-Man #300 (Venom 1st full story) (incidentally I used to own this and was probably the most valuable comic I've owned, but it got stolen out of a storage unit!)
    Amazing Spider-Man #238-239 (Hobgoblin)
    ASM #121-122 (Death of Gwen Stacy/Green Goblin)
    ASM #361-363 (Carnage issues)
    FF #5 (1st Dr. Doom)
    FF #48 (Silver Surfer/Galactus)
    Infinity Gauntlet #1-6 (Thanos)
    Incredible Hulk #181
    X-men #14-16 (Sentinels)
    X-men #13 (Juggernaut)
    Giant Sized X-Men #1
    Uncanny X-Men #94 (1st new team in UXM)
    UXM #129-137 (Dark Phoenix)
    X-Factor #5-6 (1st Apocalypse)

    Batman 404-407 (Year One issues)
    Joker (killing joke issues? kills robin issues?)
    Poison Ivy
    Two-Face
    Riddler
    Clayface
    Scarecrow
    Man-Bat
    Bane

    I dunno what stories are actually good for Batman's rogues. I grew on the Animated Series, and otherwise like the Tim Sale/Jeph Loeb stories, but know there are better stories out there.

    So two things:
    1) Help me out identifying issues/stories that I might be missing
    2) What's on your list?

  2. #2
    Amazing Member Henrik K. Kristensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    95

    Default

    I just love that you have X-men #14-16 in your list.
    There sems to be so much hate for Silver Age -Men, but this is a great multi-issue story.

  3. #3
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Haha, thanks! I have the Omnibus editions of XM,/UXM so I've read the first 140 issues or so just through those editions, which I really like. The omnibus volumes almost defeat the need for the single issues, but I thought I'd try to collect some of the stories I liked.

    But the campiness of some of those old stories is one reason why I have no idea which stories of the batman characters to get!

  4. #4
    Fantastic Member Ishmael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrik K. Kristensen View Post
    I just love that you have X-men #14-16 in your list.
    There sems to be so much hate for Silver Age -Men, but this is a great multi-issue story.
    I agree. This is a really great story - definitely the best of the early X-men, imo.

    And I'd suggest Swamp Thing #7 for your list (from the Bronze Age). It guest stars Batman and has some amazing Berni Wrightson artwork.

    Also some classic the Brave and the Bold stories: #85 (introduces Green Arrows new costume, amazing art by Neal Adams) -- #111 (classic team-up with the Joker) -- and #118 (another classic with Batman, Wildcat, and the Joker).
    Last edited by Ishmael; 12-28-2018 at 08:57 AM.

  5. #5
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    And I'd suggest Swamp Thing #7 for your list (from the Bronze Age). It guest stars Batman and has some amazing Berni Wrightson artwork.

    Also some classic the Brave and the Bold stories: #85 (introduces Green Arrows new costume, amazing art by Neal Adams) -- #111 (classic team-up with the Joker) -- and #118 (another classic with Batman, Wildcat, and the Joker).
    Thanks for the suggestions!

    Just out of curiosity, is the DC comics online app better than Marvel's, or does it have a large library of older issues like the ones you suggest?

  6. #6
    Fantastic Member Ishmael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boow View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions!

    Just out of curiosity, is the DC comics online app better than Marvel's, or does it have a large library of older issues like the ones you suggest?
    I have no idea -- maybe someone else can answer that?

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member MRP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,038

    Default

    The DC Universe library of comics is much smaller than Marvel Unlimited, and it is a curated collection, so things may be dropped as others are added. There are very few full runs up now, mostly selected issues or story arcs. For the entire 1940s Batman series, there are only 90 issues available for instance, and the 1938 Detective Comics series has only 81 issues.

    The DC Universe selection is a good start for a nascent service, but it has nowhere near the scope or depth of Marvel Unlimited yet. Of course, Marvel Unlimited was much more limited in scope and depth when it started as well and has been adding content for years.

    -M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

  8. #8
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    100

    Default

    I’m a fan of gimmick covers. They can be pretty cool. I like foil embossed the best of Silver surfer #50,75 and Silver Sable #1. Ghost rider had a very awesome glow in the dark as did Daredevil #321. The claw marks die cut out in Wolverine #50 another gem. Always a sucker for holograms like Spidey’s 30th or X-men’s Fatal Attractions. Though the best is Spectacular #225 with the holodisk and Greengoblin art by McDaniels or the Spider-Man #50 holoeyes. My favourite gatefold has to be Wetworks #1 and who doesn’t love that X-men one (though that could be the jigsaw cover...)! All chromium foiled covers are awesome but one standout for me was Jae Lee’s Wildcats trilogy. The Fantastic Four Atlantis Rising acetate cover was also quite unique.

  9. #9
    Fantastic Member K7P5V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by koonfasa View Post
    I’m a fan of gimmick covers. They can be pretty cool. I like foil embossed the best of Silver surfer #50,75 and Silver Sable #1. Ghost rider had a very awesome glow in the dark as did Daredevil #321. The claw marks die cut out in Wolverine #50 another gem. Always a sucker for holograms like Spidey’s 30th or X-men’s Fatal Attractions. Though the best is Spectacular #225 with the holodisk and Greengoblin art by McDaniels or the Spider-Man #50 holoeyes. My favourite gatefold has to be Wetworks #1 and who doesn’t love that X-men one (though that could be the jigsaw cover...)! All chromium foiled covers are awesome but one standout for me was Jae Lee’s Wildcats trilogy. The Fantastic Four Atlantis Rising acetate cover was also quite unique.
    Me too. I love gimmick covers, and you've already mentioned a few of my favorites. Other favorites you haven't mentioned are Quesada's Ninjak #1, and the "Wanted: Dead or Alive" cover for Punisher #57.

    Another type of gimmick cover that you didn't mention was the embossed cover for Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #50 (with gold-foil). And don't forget the die-cut card-stock cover (my personal favorite is New Warriors #25).
    Last edited by K7P5V; 01-10-2019 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Added another title.

  10. #10
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    100

    Default

    The photo cover is a trap. Amazing Spiderman #262 tricked me into thinking that was a real show.

    It was a photo of a photographer flashing a photo of unmasked Spiderman in the middle of changing into Peter. And it was also my jumping on point into Marvel. Then there are those covers like Avengelyne...

    And I don’t want to talk about Ninjak. I have three copies.
    Last edited by koonfasa; 01-08-2019 at 06:30 AM.

  11. #11
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by koonfasa View Post
    Iím a fan of gimmick covers.
    I totally forgot about some of those!

    Some of the ones I remember include some of the Venom mini-series #1's would have foil or embossing, or glow-in-the-dark. I think one had his white eyes and teeth and probably the spider on the chest. X-Men had a view holograms and prism covers too.

    That makes me remember to add some favorite cover art for single issue purchases as well! For some reason, I always like Uncanny X-Men 335 cover for some reason (even despite the 'feral' wolverine look. But there are plenty of others I'll have to remember.

    I dont know much about Wildcat or Ninjak, I'll have to look into other Indy publications.

    Someone mentioned Avengelyne, which I'm only half ashamed to say I'd read those minis when i found them. Lady Death and Evil Ernie were also crazy into weird cover gimmicks too!

  12. #12
    TPB/HC Enthusiast JJ87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    247

    Default

    I rarely collect single issues, but I do have an almost complete set of every winner of the Best Single Issue/One-shot Eisner award.
    To me, it's interesting to ponder about what made that particular issue win the award: if it pushes the medium, if it's because of the art, the writing, if it's a milestone of a specific series, if it's just a damn good storyline, et cetera.

    I'm only missing both Batman Adventures Mad Love Special (1994) and Holiday Special (1995) and The Goon #1 (2004)

  13. #13
    Fantastic Member K7P5V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by koonfasa View Post
    The photo cover is a trap. Amazing Spiderman #262 tricked me into thinking that was a real show.

    It was a photo of a photographer flashing a photo of unmasked Spiderman in the middle of changing into Peter. And it was also my jumping on point into Marvel. Then there are those covers like Avengelyne...

    And I don’t want to talk about Ninjak. I have three copies.
    Awesome. I actually own Amazing Spider-Man #262. I remember buying it right off the rack at a local convenience store. When I saw the cover, I thought Marvel was celebrating fumetti month or something.

    And sorry to hear about your experience with Ninjak. But, so far, Ninjak #1 is the only chromium-covered comic I can remember ever enjoying.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 01-11-2019 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Corrected grammatical errors.

  14. #14
    007 girl.
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The world is my Garden
    Posts
    605

    Default

    I'd go with the comic book sized DC Special Series issues from the 70s.

    Each was a standalone issue with 68-80 pages.
    Kings 21:23
    And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •