Mighty Member

Default league of extraordinary gentlemen jubilee edition vs TPBs

Anyone got league of extraordinary gentlemen jubilee edition? Thoughts? Heard the binding is tight. Are the more wordy parts of black dossier readable? --No text which dissapears into the gutter?

Been thinking of getting it. But I'm a bit worried about gutter loss. Better getting vol 1 -2 and black dossier as trades?
    Last edited by borntohula; 07-24-2019 at 12:58 AM.

I got it but actually haven't even opened it yet cause reading other stuff. I'll open it later tonight and look through it to answer your questions if nobody else beats me to it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Hank View Post
    I got it but actually haven't even opened it yet cause reading other stuff. I'll open it later tonight and look through it to answer your questions if nobody else beats me to it.
    Thank you very much

I'm mostly worried about the "crazy wide forever" story. I think just after Alan and Mina has left the air port in an automated aircraft. I remember the text filling up the whole pages. Also Campion Bond's writing.

Fingers crossed it's okay

"crazy wide forever"

Well whoever said the binding is tight ain't lying. I flipped through 5 or 6 times to let it breathe, even though it lays flat open in the middle, the first and last thirds sure don't. Maybe after some reading time it'll loosen a little.

I don't know if there's any gutter "loss" per se, I could still see everything pretty well and it's not a huge omni at least. I'm currently reading the latest Death and Return of Superman omni and that thing is so thick that it actually creates some gutter loss cause the pages can only lay down so flat. No problem with that here.

I looked through the parts you specified and I could read all the text but the right-hand page is tougher because it's the shallow end of the book and it won't lay flat. So you'll have to hold it open to read it near the gutter. Not ideal for sure. Not sure when I'll start in on this one...maybe I'll use it as a "break" from the other stuff I'm plowing through. I forgot how much prose material there is in LoEG but I love it all.

Can't say I'm disappointed with the omni cause it's a nice step up from my softcover version. The paper especially I really like. That said, if they reprint the Absolute editions I'll jump on them at once. Hope this helps, sorry I have no where to post pictures to.

Mighty Member

Thank you very much for taking your time checking it for me. I've now asked my comic book shop to put one aside for me. Gonna pick it up first thing Monday

I've owned LOEG v 1-3 and Nemo as trade HC, but sold them off half way through Tempest. After reading the last issue I felt myself missing books 1-2 and Black Dossier. Having them in one book is too good to pass up. Those three are the high marks for me. Has the ending I prefer as well.

That said, I wouldn'd mind it if there'd be a similar collection of v 3-4 plus Nemo. Collected as dlx, in chronological order.

No problem, glad you decided to grab one. I love parts 1&2, Moore did a great job at constructing these stories around classic literature, really blew me away. I haven't read the Black Dossier yet so this omni was a no brainer for me.

Mighty Member

Gave the book a look just now. While it doesn't stay open during the first and last 100 or so of pages, it doesn't look too bad.

Hope you like it. I just flipped through it's last pages (in their glorious 3d) and I think I much prefer the send off to the one in Tempest. To me Tempest felt like a bitter comment on todays story telling, while Black dossier has it's characters more or less escaping into imagination, which is hailed as one of the most important things there is.

Also, vol 1-2 and BD are not as relient on me having to google a bunch of stuff. For example one doesn't need to know who James Bond is in order to figure out the point of his inclusion in Black Dossier. But -which was my case- not having read or watched Harry Potter makes for quite a bit of confusion when reading vol 3 Century.
    Last edited by borntohula; 07-30-2019 at 04:00 AM.