Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 47
  1. #16
    Queen of Disaster Magik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Limbo
    Posts
    471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Let's give IDW the X-Men. See if they can fix it.
    I was thinking the same lol

  2. #17
    Astonishing Member DragonsChi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    2,858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    As others have said, this is nothing new. Marvel probably makes more money licensing out something like this, which is not hard to imagine since they would probably lose money printing it.



    To be fair, I would have assumed the same thing. To be blunt, I wouldn't make that kind of joke (more like insult) without actually knowing. To be hypocritical, I never watched the video either. I did check out their Twitter timeline and it seems to be missing any reference to CG or SJW.
    This guy , from the research I did before posting the video, is neither comics gate or an social justice warrior from what I can tell. He is just a guy telling the news from his perspective.

    So those who are being somewhat dismissive should probably just avoid the thread an let those who want to discuss back and forth about it be.
    The Human Rocket Nova Prime Appreciation Thread: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...reciation-2019

    Explain The Appeal ~ Hawkman: http://community.comicbookresources....73#post3725173

    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

  3. #18
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,836

    Default

    Don't Marvel and DC outsource to other publishers for collections and GNs anyway? I guess there's panic since it's floppies now.

    On the other hand, there's stuff like this that has me thinking.

    DvOagB0X0AEAsDd.jpg

  4. #19
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    This guy , from the research I did before posting the video, is neither comics gate or an social justice warrior from what I can tell. He is just a guy telling the news from his perspective.

    So those who are being somewhat dismissive should probably just avoid the thread an let those who want to discuss back and forth about it be.
    Yeah. Clownfish and GeekySparkles aren't any of those weird internet titles people like to use. They just report on stuff they like.

  5. #20
    Astonishing Member DragonsChi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    2,858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Yeah. Clownfish and GeekySparkles aren't any of those weird internet titles people like to use. They just report on stuff they like.
    Thank you, I'm just recently learning what all this Comics Gate and Social Justice Warrior stuff is and I really don't have the patience for it.

    I'm just concerned about the facts.

    Fact Marvel/Disney is licensing out it's singles for the first time. (not Star Wars or any other sub-division but their mainline.)

    Fact Marvel Comic division lease is ending soon for their primary office.

    Fact a lot of big and some would say drastic changes have been made since Disney has bought out Marvel.

    Fact Disney has shown little interest in comic books in the past.

    Fact comics as a medium is loosing money more so then they have been profitable.


    The thread is about can/will Marvel change their profitability around, is it possible if they don't will we see more comics licensed out to companies like IDW and the general influence Disney may be having on the publishing side of Marvel.

    If you are interested in the Comics Gate and SJW stuff please don't bother. Those discussion are repetitive and overall unproductive.
    The Human Rocket Nova Prime Appreciation Thread: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...reciation-2019

    Explain The Appeal ~ Hawkman: http://community.comicbookresources....73#post3725173

    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

  6. #21
    Astonishing Member cranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,236

    Default

    http://www.kleefeldoncomics.com/2011...rvel-book.html I don't know how extensive the history described here is, but this is certainly a question that someone has asked before.

    I wouldn't be surprised if at some point someone at Disney takes a look at Marvel and just doesn't do to it what happened to Star Wars. While the gentler approach would be handing the license to another publisher and just having some oversight the way LucasFilm allowed books, comics and games to expand the story, the drastic approach would be to hand the license over to someone else and burn everything to the ground and restart a Marvel Universe based on the MCU with even more control from Disney approved overseers.

  7. #22
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    45,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Let's give IDW the X-Men. See if they can fix it.
    Where's my Marvel Action X-Men book ?

    (Oh wait, they don't have movies or cartoon versions...)

  8. #23
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    I'm just concerned about the facts.

    Fact Marvel/Disney is licensing out it's singles for the first time. (not Star Wars or any other sub-division but their mainline.)

    Fact Marvel Comic division lease is ending soon for their primary office.

    Fact a lot of big and some would say drastic changes have been made since Disney has bought out Marvel.

    Fact Disney has shown little interest in comic books in the past.

    Fact comics as a medium is loosing money more so then they have been profitable.
    Counter Facts:

    1. Marvel has licensed out their characters before. Not just in non comic media. The Heroes Reborn line was done outside Marvel editorial.
    2. Disney has a ďIf it ainít broke, donít fix itĒ mentality to their acquisitions in the past.
    3. The expense of mainting Marvel as a publisher is a small drop in the bucket for Disney. Shutting Marvel Publshing down would save very little. Itís the definition of penny wise, pound foolish.
    4 Marvel Publishing generates IP for Disney.
    5. Despite the historical trend in sales, Marvel is still profitable. They tend not to publish comics that lose money on an individual basis, let alone as a whole.
    6. IDW has worked with Marvel before on the Artist Editions, and presumably have a good working relationship with them.
    7. The All Ages lines tend to be the worst selling titles for Marvel. The reason they license these out is because there is little financial incentive to publish these titles directly.
    6. The all ages lines are to get visibility for the characters to readers at a young age with almost no impact to the main line. The 616 line remains with Marvel Publishing. 616 is what most readers care about, and where the most important stories and character development happen. The IDW deal changes nothing for that.

  9. #24
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Counter Facts:

    1. Marvel has licensed out their characters before. Not just in non comic media. The Heroes Reborn line was done outside Marvel editorial.
    Marvel Knights was outsourced to Event Comics and that was a highly successful line.

  10. #25
    Astonishing Member DragonsChi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    2,858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Counter Facts:

    1. Marvel has licensed out their characters before. Not just in non comic media. The Heroes Reborn line was done outside Marvel editorial.
    2. Disney has a “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” mentality to their acquisitions in the past.
    3. The expense of mainting Marvel as a publisher is a small drop in the bucket for Disney. Shutting Marvel Publshing down would save very little. It’s the definition of penny wise, pound foolish.
    4 Marvel Publishing generates IP for Disney.
    5. Despite the historical trend in sales, Marvel is still profitable. They tend not to publish comics that lose money on an individual basis, let alone as a whole.
    6. IDW has worked with Marvel before on the Artist Editions, and presumably have a good working relationship with them.
    7. The All Ages lines tend to be the worst selling titles for Marvel. The reason they license these out is because there is little financial incentive to publish these titles directly.
    6. The all ages lines are to get visibility for the characters to readers at a young age with almost no impact to the main line. The 616 line remains with Marvel Publishing. 616 is what most readers care about, and where the most important stories and character development happen. The IDW deal changes nothing for that.
    Not really a counter just adding too.

    To be clear for everyone this is not a Me vs You thread. This is a discussion.
    The Human Rocket Nova Prime Appreciation Thread: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...reciation-2019

    Explain The Appeal ~ Hawkman: http://community.comicbookresources....73#post3725173

    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

  11. #26
    Ultimate Member Wiccan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    10,656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    This is a joke, right? Cause this guy mentioned none of that.
    I haven't watched the video tbh. But I looked at the comments, the one with the most likes is someone talking about SJWS ruining Marvel, and that seems to be the kind of opinion this channel caters to looking at their other videos. I can't take that seriously.

  12. #27
    Astonishing Member DragonsChi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    2,858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I haven't watched the video tbh. But I looked at the comments, the one with the most likes is someone talking about SJWS ruining Marvel, and that seems to be the kind of opinion this channel caters to looking at their other videos. I can't take that seriously.
    ...you based your opening comments on what someone else said and not the actual content/message in the video? I must ask after admitting this are you expecting to be taken seriously?

    It's not like the guy who created the video can control what other people comment on them.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 12-28-2018 at 11:13 AM.
    The Human Rocket Nova Prime Appreciation Thread: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...reciation-2019

    Explain The Appeal ~ Hawkman: http://community.comicbookresources....73#post3725173

    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

  13. #28
    Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    7,249

    Default

    Simpler answer: They didn't want to make the young reader books in-continuity because older readers would complain and it was clearer if they licensed the property - especially since Marvel makes the bulk of its money in the direct market and the direct market isn't going to buy a ton of young reader out of continuity Avengers stories.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

    I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

    Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

  14. #29
    Ultimate Member Wiccan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    10,656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    ...you based you opening comments on what someone else said and not the actual content/message in the video? I must ask after admitting this are you expecting to be taken seriously?

    It's not like the guy who created the video can control what other people comment on them.
    It's not about controlling what people comment. Is about comisgate people being on this kind of channel because it's made by one of them showing opinions they agree to. Giving a quick look at this channel, there are like 102937123 videos bashing the new She-Ra series or the new Doctor Who season with a female doctor. "She-Ra looks like a man", "More SJW cartoons reboot?", "The hypocrisy in SJW media", "Millennials OFFENDED by Monopoly!". Videos about comics creator blocking comicsgate people on twitter with mocking thumbnails. It's quite obvious.

    I'm not "expecting to be taken seriously" cause there's nothing serious about this whole topic. It's all a ridiculous conspiracy theory by someone who likes the idea that Marvel is failing and possibly dying, so I gave a snarky dismissive response.

  15. #30
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I'm not "expecting to be taken seriously" cause there's nothing serious about this whole topic. It's all a ridiculous conspiracy theory by someone who likes the idea that Marvel is failing and possibly dying, so I gave a snarky dismissive response.
    Yes, this is an absurd topic. It doesn't bear serious consideration.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Simpler answer: They didn't want to make the young reader books in-continuity because older readers would complain and it was clearer if they licensed the property - especially since Marvel makes the bulk of its money in the direct market and the direct market isn't going to buy a ton of young reader out of continuity Avengers stories.
    The simple, uncomplicated truth.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •