Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    It's not about controlling what people comment. Is about comisgate people being on this kind of channel because it's made by one of them showing opinions they agree to. Giving a quick look at this channel, there are like 102937123 videos bashing the new She-Ra series or the new Doctor Who season with a female doctor. "She-Ra looks like a man", "More SJW cartoons reboot?", "The hypocrisy in SJW media", "Millennials OFFENDED by Monopoly!". Videos about comics creator blocking comicsgate people on twitter with mocking thumbnails. It's quite obvious.

I'm not "expecting to be taken seriously" cause there's nothing serious about this whole topic. It's all a ridiculous conspiracy theory by someone who likes the idea that Marvel is failing and possibly dying, so I gave a snarky dismissive response.
    Again people can not control what other people say. I haven't watched his other videos but I did look at the titles of the others. He has a whole host of different area's in nerd culture that he hits on but you are cherry picking the ones that don't fit your stance. I personally can't even find the "More SJW cartoon reboots" . However, if you want to get into the Comics Gate and SJW non-sense please take it to another thread and allow this one to stay on topic.

If you want to discuss the topic please watch the video so you actually approach the discussion with the proper knowledge to actually bring value to it one way or the other.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 12-29-2018 at 05:06 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Again people can not control what other people say. I haven't watched his other videos but I did look at the titles of the others he has a whole host of different area's in nerd culture that he hits on but you are cherry picking the ones that don't fit your stance. I personally can't even find the "More SJW cartoon reboots" . However, if you want to get into the Comics Gate and SJW non-sense please take it to another thread and allow this one to stay on topic.

If you want to discuss the topic please watch the video so you actually approach the discussion with the proper knowledge to actually bring value to it one way or the other.
    Please watch a video of a guy talking nonsense out of his ass and then come back for a serious discussion!

Look, it's been explained simply and directly that Marvel licensing out characters to IDW is not any kind of calamitous situation for Marvel. It just isn't. It's a pretty innocuous move, actually.

So any discussion in the direction of trying to give actual consideration to what the future implications of Marvel allowing IDW to work with some of their characters might be, to the point of forecasting Marvel closing down its publishing division, is doing nothing but making mountains out of molehills. Also better known as "just making **** up."
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 12-28-2018 at 12:08 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

If you want people to discuss the video, summarize its arguments instead. This is a forum with posts that people write that contain words. While you can embed a video, it isn't reasonable to think everyone is able to watch the video.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    If you want people to discuss the video, summarize its arguments instead. This is a forum with posts that people write that contain words. While you can embed a video, it isn't reasonable to think everyone is able to watch the video.
    Hi Mike, the First post pretty much sums everything up. The extra CG and SJW chatter was brought in by others. Effectively derailing the topic.

Those who are unclear of what the topic is about after that should watch the video before posting or come back when they have the time.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Simpler answer: They didn't want to make the young reader books in-continuity because older readers would complain and it was clearer if they licensed the property - especially since Marvel makes the bulk of its money in the direct market and the direct market isn't going to buy a ton of young reader out of continuity Avengers stories.
    Well, they already have general all-ages or younger-aimed in-continuity books already, irregardless of fan complaints, I just think it's more that they haven't been able to make out-of-continuity all-ages books work and wanted to avoid another Spidey situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, they already have general all-ages or younger-aimed in-continuity books already, irregardless of fan complaints, I just think it's more that they haven't been able to make out-of-continuity all-ages books work and wanted to avoid another Spidey situation.
    They have in-continuity books, but they're usually side characters like Squirrel Girl, not the Avengers. The Avengers would be a pretty big ask for their audience.

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Ultimate Member

Simpler answer: They didn't want to make the young reader books in-continuity because older readers would complain and it was clearer if they licensed the property - especially since Marvel makes the bulk of its money in the direct market and the direct market isn't going to buy a ton of young reader out of continuity Avengers stories.
    Maybe this will sum it up-

http://www.comicsbeat.com/idw-moves-...-distribution/

Well now, this is interesting. IDW has moved its book distribution to Penguin Random House effective April 2017. But this really makes PRHPS, which also distributes DC, a powerhouse player in the GN field.

It’s one of a number of defections from Diamond to PRHPS over the years. IDW joins Archie and Dark Horse at PRHPS, while Diamond still distributes Image, Dynamite, Valiant, Oni and a number of smaller companies.
    Other companies at PRHPS include DC, Kodansha, Titan Books, Legendary and Vertical, according to ICv2.

And with a client roster that now includes five of the top ten comic publishers in the direct market, plus book channel powerhouse Kodansha, PRHPS may now be the biggest graphic novel distributor to the book channel, if it wasn’t already.
    Translated this is another venue to make sure those books get to where they need to be without Diamond getting in the way.
    This also explains why I see way more copies of DR Who in the libraries than a LOT of DC & Marvel books.

...you based you opening comments on what someone else said and not the actual content/message in the video? I must ask after admitting this are you expecting to be taken seriously?
    Can't take them seriously because they don't read the book and love to make up stuff. Like this guy.

http://shawnsjames.blogspot.com/2018...quidators.html

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    http://www.kleefeldoncomics.com/2011...rvel-book.html I don't know how extensive the history described here is, but this is certainly a question that someone has asked before.

I wouldn't be surprised if at some point someone at Disney takes a look at Marvel and just doesn't do to it what happened to Star Wars. While the gentler approach would be handing the license to another publisher and just having some oversight the way LucasFilm allowed books, comics and games to expand the story, the drastic approach would be to hand the license over to someone else and burn everything to the ground and restart a Marvel Universe based on the MCU with even more control from Disney approved overseers.
    This part in particular is interesting
    Sometime around 1999, Marvel switched from being a comic book publisher to a character licensing company. These days comics comprise less than a third of Marvel's overall revenue and they make most of their money from letting people OTHER than Marvel do stuff with their characters. Though this is typically in the form single images -- shirts, toys, games, candy, etc.

Extraordinary Member

This part in particular is interesting
    It happened earlier than that. I think the 80s the dream was to get into toys and in the early 90s they wanted to get into movies.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

I'm with you here. I feel like they wanted a young line of comics, that aren't connected to 616, that would be easier for the kid to pick up and read. If I recall, IDW has a history of doing well in the kids market, and they may have more success at doing a line like that.

And based on that Spider cover alone, they seem to want to pick up kids who likes the Spidervise movie, and a cover like that would do it haha.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

I think some may not understand the very nature of Marvel outsourcing this "younger direct" titles to another company is directly competing with the younger content they are already producing or attempting to produce. This type of move shows in a lot of ways that Marvel feels that the publisher may do a better job then they can( the supposed industry leader) in producing that type of content. While it also is telling that they are already loosing money on it and they are under the belief that IDW can reverse that.

If neither of those points where not the case the motivation to make the jump to IDW would not be there simply because overall it be more profitable to keep in house. This one move shows that the overall line maybe in trouble Sales wise.

Why is it necessarily more profitable to do it in-house? There is zero risk to licensing a property because it's profit without expense. Also, does a young reader Avengers book necessarily directly compete with Squirrel Girl? Maybe they feel the audience is somewhat different - or that the audience can grow rather than compete.

Why is it necessarily more profitable to do it in-house? There is zero risk to licensing a property because it's profit without expense. Also, does a young reader Avengers book necessarily directly compete with Squirrel Girl? Maybe they feel the audience is somewhat different - or that the audience can grow rather than compete.
    There a risk in licensing a property. There are several in fact. It's also cuts in to the profits that Marvel Publishing as a company would make if they did it themselves. For the simple fact that they are sharing those profits with someone else.

I would argue yes. Marvel Adventure (or whatever they are calling it) can and does in fact compete with characters already in Marvels wheel house. The whole "Marvel Rising" thing that is about to come about would potentially be a direct competitor to it. They are both in the same market and are relatively trying to capture the same demographics with minor variations. This could very well be a test as to see what sells better and where it sells better between the Marvel Rising(characters like Squirrel Girl, Ms. Marvel and so on) and Marvel Adventure. The time and placement of all of this hints to that from a business perspective.

If it goes well with IDW who is to say that Disney may not want to siphon off more properties to other companies.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

I think some may not understand the very nature of Marvel outsourcing this "younger direct" titles to another company is directly competing with the younger content they are already producing or attempting to produce. This type of move shows in a lot of ways that Marvel feels that the publisher may do a better job then they can( the supposed industry leader) in producing that type of content. While it also is telling that they are already loosing money on it and they are under the belief that IDW can reverse that.

If neither of those points where not the case the motivation to make the jump to IDW would not be there simply because overall it be more profitable to keep in house. This one move shows that the overall line maybe in trouble Sales wise.
    What other "kid" like book do they have other then SG haha? I honest can't think of another one. And I did also say they may want a line that's not connected to 616, so kids don't have all that history and crossovers. I mean SG had Kraven in it, it may have been a light tone, but it's still the 616 one haha.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    What other "kid" like book do they have other then SG haha? I honest can't think of another one. And I did also say they may want a line that's not connected to 616, so kids don't have all that history and crossovers. I mean SG had Kraven in it, it may have been a light tone, but it's still the 616 one haha.
    Marvel has been trying to publish non-616 all-ages books for a while.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Adventures