Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

America is indisputably the breakout character of Gillen and McKelvie's Baby Vengies.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

First, thanks.

Second:

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Avengers Academy's breakout is probably actually Hazmat.
    I had to look her up. I didn't see it mentioned, but she is Radioative Man's duaghter, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    And the title says "Superhero teams break out characters", so I assumed it just meant a character that started on a certain team, not that the breakout had to happen on that team's run exactly. Maybe OP meant it like you're saying, but that's not clear.
    Hadn't really thought that. Originally I was going for the break out from the original team, but just for my "Marvel-education" people can bring up either.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    You could make a case for Vision as the breakout of the Avengers...He was considered enough of a breakout character that in the '70s he represented the comic in its corner box.

Hawkeye is as good a choice as any, though, considering that he got to star in the comic's first big spinoff (West Coast Avengers).
    Hawkeye also got a mini-series too. Good points though. Hawkeye did also get a mini-series before WCA. I was also going by the fact I seem to remember Hawkeye topping a poll or two back in the day about how people's favorite Avengers were.

Plus, I think Vision is more like Martian Manhunter is the the JLA, more of a representation then a "breakout star". For now I'm gonna stick with Clint.

Although, due to such a long flowing history, it may be impossible to pick just one Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    For Defenders, Valkyrie is one who has had a ton of staying power and recognition and pretty much wasn't a character before the Defenders. I think Hellcat came into her own in that book, but that's a more complicated choice.
    I'm thinking, like Avengers, The Defenders might have too much history and, more importantly, changes not just to who was on the team, but what the team was too. Avengers is always "Earth's Mightiest Heroes", while The Defenders changes what it is as often as it changes line-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    X-Factor: Madrox
    Oh! Forgot X-factor. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    America is indisputably the breakout character of Gillen and McKelvie's Baby Vengies.
    I kind of consider her the breakout character of Teen Brigade II since she is THE ONLY ONE who wnt on to anything else.

And finally, her is what I've got so far from both thinking more on my own, and reading everything you guys wrote.

Thanks again!

Agents of Atlas: Gorilla Man
    Big Hero Six: Baymax
    Fantastic Four: Thing
    Avengers: Hawkeye
    Avengers Academy: Hazmat
    Eternals: Thanos
    Exiles: Blink
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Rocket and Groot
    Imperial Guard: Gladiator
    Nextwave: Elsa Bloodstone
    Runaways: Nico Minoru/Sister Grimm
    Secret Warriors: Quake
    Teen Brigade: America Chavez
    Thunderbolts: Songbird
    X-Factor: Madrox
    X-Force: Cable (unless Deadpool counts)
    X-Men: Wolverine
    X-Statix: Doop

Alpha/Beta/Omega Flight: Puck or Northstar?
    Champions: Viv Vison?
    Excaliber: Pete Wisdom?
    Future Foundation: ?
    Great Lakes Avengers: Squirrel Girl and maybe Mr. I before her?
    Hereos for Hire: Misty Knight?
    Inhumans: Lockjaw?
    Invaders: Winter Soldier?
    New Mutants: Magik? Cannonball?
    New Warriors: Night Thrasher? Justice? Firestar? Speedball?
    Power Pack: Julie Power AKA Lightspeed?
    Slingers: Dusk?
    West Caost Avengers/Force Works: Wonder Man or Julia Carpenter?
    Young Avengers: Wiccan or Kate Bishop?

Avengers Initiative: ?
    The Crew: ?
    Defenders: ?
    Loners: ?
    New X-men: ?
    Squadron Supreme: ?
    Help a fellow fan out and check out my writing, please:
    My Cage comic strip:
    Re-Runs: https://www.webtoons.com/en/challeng...itle_no=539047
    New: https://www.patreon.com/mycage
    Thanks!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by edpower View Post
    Power Pack: Julie Power AKA Lightspeed?
    Her brother, Alex Power, can be considered a breakout character considering he joined the New Warriors during the 90s after stealing his siblings' powers. Later, he went on to join and, as of Slott's run, lead the Future Foundation.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edpower View Post
    I'm thinking, like Avengers, The Defenders might have too much history and, more importantly, changes not just to who was on the team, but what the team was too. Avengers is always "Earth's Mightiest Heroes", while The Defenders changes what it is as often as it changes line-ups.
    Defenders had a consistent lineup for a very long time of Doctor Strange, the Hulk, Nighthawk, and Valkyrie.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Not every series has a breakout character. In fact, I'd argue that most of these teams listed don't/didn't. Perhaps that's why people have differing opinions on who the breakout character is. The right answer may be "no-one" in a lot of cases.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Ok. I'll admit. I'm still fascinated by this (maybe because I like Marvels lesser known heroes more then their bigger name heroes).

Maybe if I define it better:

Which hero, if any, was either a bit player in the Marvel universe who joined an Marvel superhero team, or who debuted as a member of a Marvel team, then had a burst in popularity that caused them to have an increased presence in the Marvel universe, to include such things as increased appearances in other Marvel books, a mini-series or regular series, and/or memberships on other Marvel teams to a greater extend then the other members of the team they started on.

Huh. I can see why I short-handed that now.

Well, let's see what happens. ☺

Thanks in advance!
    Help a fellow fan out and check out my writing, please:
    My Cage comic strip:
    Re-Runs: https://www.webtoons.com/en/challeng...itle_no=539047
    New: https://www.patreon.com/mycage
    Thanks!

Magik is probably the breakout character of the New Mutants. She's the most popular of them, the most prominent, and the new 2019 series has her front and center with the most variants, and she wasn't even a founder. Of course, her bad girl sex appeal probably has a lot to do with it.

That said, she hasn't gotten a ton of exposure outside of comics thanks to the whole Marvel-Fox feud, but we'll see how that changes after the buyout.