Default Do you think Batman could be corrupted and not be aware of it?

So I've often thought about this do you think Batman could ever be corrupted by something and not realize it? By which I mean do you think if something like the symbiote from Marvel got hold of him do you think he'd be able to fight it or do you think he'd be taken over? I know what I am about to say is controversial but I do not think Batman would be able to fight a symbiote. I say this because he's a very dark person and well he broods so I think a symbiote would very easily corrupt him and make him dependent on it I mean Batman has the tale tell signs of a potential addict and or person with dependency abuse problems and it all stems from his parents death I think a symbiote would definitely be able to use his rage to manipulate and control him and he probably would not even realize it.

I mean I'm of the opinion that Peter Parker could beat the symbiote because he's got friends and family and a support system where as Batman his natural instinct is to distrust and keep people at arms length and I think that would work against Batman. Bruce and Peter also have opposite personalities as well. The symbiote is also not some mindless virus it bonds to a person and depending on what version we're talking the host might not even be aware of it until it's too late look how long it took Peter to realize something was wrong. Batman pushes boundaries all the time so it would be difficult for people to tell right off the bat if Bruce was being extra violent or extra anti social well Alfred would likely notice so I can see him being the one to reach out for help in a symbiote situation.
    Last edited by Castiel; 12-28-2018 at 02:05 AM.

Astonishing Member

Interesting. Without the influence of Alfred, a Robin or Selena around, I think you could well be right.

i think this mf doll nicknamed betty lead him out from himself

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

It depends on the writer, though ultimately he would overcome it since he's the protagonist.

I think that one comic where Batman gets addicted to Venom (the drug, not the symbiote, LOL) basically showcases what would happen. At first, he doesn't realize the problem, but the people around him (Alfred and Gordon) DO start to notice and, eventually, he is forced to admit something is wrong and face up to his problems.

So being Batman, he spoilers:
    locks himself in the cave for a month and tells Alfred not to let him out till he's sober again. Obviously, he could escape, but he uses shear willpower to avoid that AND after he's sober he resists several badguys trying to tempt him with Venom again. It's pretty badass, honestly.
    end of spoilers

Ultimately, I think he would just have a different way of dealing with the problem than Spiderman would, because of their different personalities. Batman's response would depend much more on his own strength of will (though I think his family would likely play a significant role in helping him realize something is wrong).

BANNED

I think he's corrupted by whoever's writing him.

Batman corrupts himself at times.

In Superman #200 he became addicted to Superman/Brainiac's drug and just let Gotham go to ruins.

BANNED

I think we need a run of books where Bruce sits in front of the TV for a few months, gets fat, and goes to pot.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Not when Morrison's writing him, but the others... yeah, sure, why not.

...Oh yeah, something like that kinda happens in Arkham Knight. Not a corruption, but... to put it simply, half of the depression he suffered... and the plot... won't happen if he just happened to have someone physically there to double check and say "Yo that **** ain't real". Alfred's on comms but he didn't see what he sees when his mind plays trick on him.