Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

I think it would make a good proto-Nightwing design for Dick when he was working out what kind of suit he wanted.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by dropkickjake View Post
    If Tim taking up Nightwing gave us Grayson again, I'd take it.
    True, I'd sacrifice the Nightwing name and identity in a heartbeat if it gets Dick out of Bludhaven. Tim can then be the one with that anchor around his neck.

Every time I come to this thread I like the design even more. I really want Dick to have a rotation of suits. We never see multiple outfits. (outside of the current arc on people who aren't Dick)
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Every time I come to this thread I like the design even more. I really want Dick to have a rotation of suits. We never see multiple outfits. (outside of the current arc on people who aren't Dick)
    I remember listening to a podcast somewhere in which Jimmy Palmiotti mentioned that one of the plans for his, Justin Gray and Amanda Conner's Power Girl run was for her to have different costumes but it never seemed to come into play. I'm sure the reasoning is that a singular visual makes the character more distinct, marketable and overall recognizable.

I really enjoyed Grayson too, but I think that I prefer it having a strong finish instead of limping toward it. Dick works best as Nightwing, but DC has to be willing to let the character grow outside of Batman's shadow and they're unwilling to do so. That wouldn't change if he was Tim Drake. I honestly don't see how that's in any way a good move for either of them. Dick loses yet another identity to his successors, one that he forged for himself as a way of getting away from Batman and Robin, and Tim gets to follow in his shoes again.

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post

Travis Moore's art is pure beauty. And I like the design. It's different from Dick's costumes but still catches the "lightness" aspect of them.
    I'd like to see a colored version by Moore, since black and blue isn't a color scheme that has been used on Tim before. I know there is a reason why a lot of characters have a fixed color scheme (and basically a fixed costume design) but sometimes it's like a breath of fresh air when artists go "a little crazy".

So this thread is about a comic artist's fan art off of an idea that got shot down, and then three pages of everyone complaining about how horrible an idea it is and acting like this is the end for Dick even though said idea was shot down? Yep, it's the internet alright. Picture looks good and the costume's pretty well designed.

I saw @byrd156 colouring, and decided to try myself. I haven't coloured something digital for a while (half a year), which means it took me a few hours to finish it. But here it is. I wasn't sure about colouring someone else's art, but I guess it's not a bad thing to do? And the drawing was pretty: I just fell to temptation.

https://imgur.com/LMEZuJG
    Last edited by Zaresh; 12-29-2018 at 01:19 PM.

BANNED

It looks better in cobalt blue than it does in pale blue, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    It looks better in cobalt blue than it does in pale blue, I think.
    I tried cobalt, like @byrd did (Tim wears darker colours than Dick in his costumes), but for whatever reason it clashed with the black too much, I'm afraid. It was a mess of dark and electric. That's why I used pale blue, and then tried to add a more electric colour in the details. Maybe someone more skilled can make it work.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 12-29-2018 at 03:24 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    I trieds cobalt, like @byrd did (Tim wears darker colours than Dick in his costumes), but for whatever reason it clashed with the black too much, I'm afraid. It was a mess of dark and electric. That's why I used pale blue, and then tried to add a more electric colour in the details. Maybe someone more skilled can make it work.
    You used a darker blue than Dick’s usual Nightwing trim and I think it looks really good too. I was having visions of that pale pale blue.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    You used a darker blue than Dick’s usual Nightwing trim and I think it looks really good too. I was having visions of that pale pale blue.
    Well, just for comparison, I changed the pale colour into something more cobalt-ish (I'm tuning up my rusty skills again, it seems. Thanks Photoshop, for existing for these short fixes).

https://imgur.com/a/fAOi1dX
    Last edited by Zaresh; 12-29-2018 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    I trieds cobalt, like @byrd did (Tim wears darker colours than Dick in his costumes), but for whatever reason it clashed with the black too much, I'm afraid. It was a mess of dark and electric. That's why I used pale blue, and then tried to add a more electric colour in the details. Maybe someone more skilled can make it work.
    I agree, I like the contrast better with the pale blue against the black. Great job btw!

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    True, I'd sacrifice the Nightwing name and identity in a heartbeat if it gets Dick out of Bludhaven. Tim can then be the one with that anchor around his neck.
    I dont think the problem DC/Didio have with Dick is his codename or his costume. The problem seems to be that TPTB have no idea what to do with the entire Dick/Roy/Donna/Wally generation.

Dick could pass the Nightwing name down to someone else but that won't change the fact that DC can't seem to figure out how to utilize the generations they have and Didio has it out for Dick in particular.

Dick losing the name to a well established and popular character like Tim could very well be the final nail that Didio needs to seal the coffin.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by babybats View Post
    I agree, I like the contrast better with the pale blue against the black. Great job btw!
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Zaresh; 12-29-2018 at 03:23 PM. Reason: I somehow quoted myself. My own self! I'm helpless

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I dont think the problem DC/Didio have with Dick is his codename or his costume. The problem seems to be that TPTB have no idea what to do with the entire Dick/Roy/Donna/Wally generation.

Dick could pass the Nightwing name down to someone else but that won't change the fact that DC can't seem to figure out how to utilize the generations they have and Didio has it out for Dick in particular.

Dick losing the name to a well established and popular character like Tim could very well be the final nail that Didio needs to seal the coffin.
    I mean I agree about no one knowing what to do (though I think it is more like no one cares) with Dick's generation anymore at DC, and Didio not caring for his generation in particular, but if the Nightwing identity is tied to a dead end like Bludhaven and Dick can't escape that then I'd give up the Nightwing name and identity in an instant if it gets Dick away from Bludhaven. I'm willing to risk Dick going off on his own again like in Grayson if it removed the Bludhaven anchor around his neck. I have enough faith in the character and enough faith that writers would be more interested in writing him if he was free of that setting too.