BANNED

Default Connor McGregor VS The Late Mohammed Ali...IN TRASH TALK.

So, while some younger people who love epic fight build-ups tend to like McGregor-style marketing, they are forgetting that there was someone even better IMO: the late, but still The Greatest, Mohammed Ali!

SO.

Whose trash talk was better?

Whose trash talk worked better?

And.

Whose trash talk sold fight tickets better?

Discuss.

Ali was better in every respect.

He was genuinely intelligent and witty - and he didn't need to resort to swearing. He was also a MUCH bigger star and, therefore, a bigger draw whether he talked trash or not. Of course, the trash talk didn't do his fights any harm in terms of promotion...

Astonishing Member

Is this even a contest? Ali was a warrior poet, Connor's just a little kid scrawling obscenities on the wall of a public restroom by comparison.

The great Ali takes this, big time.

He had the balls to verbal smack the YS government trying to get him in Nam, And was still loved afterwards.

I do not even know the other guy.

Ali was and will always be the greatest, especially here.

I'd go with Ali considering he had lines like:

"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. His hands can't hit what his eyes can't see. Now you see me, now you don't. George thinks he will, but I know he won't."

"If you even dream about beating me, you better wake up and apologize!"

"I've wrestled with alligators. I've tussled with a whale. I done handcuffed lightning and throw thunder in jail. You know I'm bad, just last week I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick. I'm so mean, I make medicine sick."

Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    I'd go with Ali considering he had lines like:

"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. His hands can't hit what his eyes can't see. Now you see me, now you don't. George thinks he will, but I know he won't."

"If you even dream about beating me, you better wake up and apologize!"

"I've wrestled with alligators. I've tussled with a whale. I done handcuffed lightning and throw thunder in jail. You know I'm bad, just last week I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick. I'm so mean, I make medicine sick."
    Yeeep. This.

Connor is a good promoter by UFC standards. But compared to Ali, it's not that close.

This is coming from a huuuuge MMA fan.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Ali's trash talk is still being quoted decades later.

No contest.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Chou Lives View Post
    The great Ali takes this, big time.

He had the balls to verbal smack the YS government trying to get him in Nam, And was still loved afterwards.

I do not even know the other guy.

Ali was and will always be the greatest, especially here.
    i wouldn't say he was loved right after that issue was settled. well, he was in the black community but he caught a lot of **** for it back in the day.

but yeah. connor's trash talk is.........decent for modern MMA but compared to ali? nope.

i mean, ali's trash talk was so good, joe fraizer literally prayed to god to give him the strength to kill him.

reporter: i just saw sonny liston the other day....

ali: ain't he ugly? HE'S TOO UGLY TO BE WORLD CHAMPION! THE CHAMPION SHOULD BE PRETTY LIKE ME!

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    i wouldn't say he was loved right after that issue was settled. well, he was in the black community but he caught a lot of **** for it back in the day.

but yeah. connor's trash talk is.........decent for modern MMA but compared to ali? nope.

i mean, ali's trash talk was so good, joe fraizer literally prayed to god to give him the strength to kill him.

Eh, by MMA standards its more than decent. His promotion skills are among the elite in that world. Problem is, elite MMA promotion is like mid tier by Boxing and Pro Wrestling standards.

That said, maybe he wasn't quite as successful with his promotional skills, but god DAMN I still think Chael Sonnen talked the best trash we've seen in MMA.

I would much prefer he and Ali were squaring off. That dude was/is mega quotable.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Eh, by MMA standards its more than decent. His promotion skills are among the elite in that world. Problem is, elite MMA promotion is like mid tier by Boxing and Pro Wrestling standards.

That said, maybe he wasn't quite as successful with his promotional skills, but god DAMN I still think Chael Sonnen talked the best trash we've seen in MMA.

I would much prefer he and Ali were squaring off. That dude was/is mega quotable.
    meh. i was never impressed by connor's trash talk.

the only time i was interested was when he got into it with the man on twitter.

Astonishing Member

MMA's the wrong place to go looking for someone that could out trash-talk Ali. You'd probably need a pro-wrestler.