Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man ongoing announced by Tom Taylor and Juan Cabal

At New York Comic Con, Marvel announced a new Spider-Man ongoing series: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-man by Tom Taylor and Juan Cabal.

The creative team had worked before on All-New Wolverine. Taylor's other work includes Injustice, Superior Iron Man, and various Star Wars projects.

This was mentioned in the NY Comic Con thread, but a new title deserves its own discussion.

Any thoughts?

I've liked what I've seen of Cabal's art, and enjoyed Taylor's work on Injustice, but I'm skeptical of the prospects of any Spider-Man satellite.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Well, I'll just repeat what I said in the other thread:

Isn't Spectacular already a small-scale version of ASM? Why do we need another? I would have liked a more unique take on Spider-Man if we were to get another Spider-Man satellite title.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Well, I'll just repeat what I said in the other thread:

Isn't Spectacular already a small-scale version of ASM? Why do we need another? I would have liked a more unique take on Spider-Man if we were to get another Spider-Man satellite title.
    Someone already answered that it looks like spectacular will become more of a team up book.

Anyways, I am estatic, really enjoy tom's writing, I don't care much about it being a literal story about peter in his neighborhood, but I guess it can be interesting.

I could be wrong, but would this be the first time since 2007 when there have been 3 solo 616 Peter books going on at once? Back then was Amazing, Sensational, and Friendly Neighbourhood.

I'm a big fan of Taylor's work, and I loved him and Cabal working together on All-New Wolverine so I'm very excited to see his take on the character and where he goes.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Count me in for this, and hell, I'll admit it --- I'm looking forward to the eventual Spidey/Laura Kinney team-up I'm damned sure Taylor is going to write in at some point. Even better would be if the team-up happened because Laura needed someone to babysit Gabby for her while she went on an X-Men mission or something.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Peter and Gabby will probably be just as good as Wade and Gabby

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Someone already answered that it looks like spectacular will become more of a team up book.
    Where did you hear that? We don't know about Spec beyond the Spider-Geddon tie-in do we? With Zdarsky done and the tie-in not being by a big name writer, I figured that series was done.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Hmm, future issue of Spider-Man/Deadpool, maybe?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I'm down for this. I think Tom Taylor will be a good fit for Spider-Man and I'm cool with a smaller-scale, Friendly Neighborhood, Spidey book .

I'm curious if the focus on Peter's "neighborhood" will focus on more classic supporting characters or OC neighbors Peter lives around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Count me in for this, and hell, I'll admit it --- I'm looking forward to the eventual Spidey/Laura Kinney team-up I'm damned sure Taylor is going to write in at some point. Even better would be if the team-up happened because Laura needed someone to babysit Gabby for her while she went on an X-Men mission or something.
    I want to see Peter and Logan reunite, but I guess Taylor is probably more likely to write-in his favorites .
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Where did you hear that? We don't know about Spec beyond the Spider-Geddon tie-in do we? With Zdarsky done and the tie-in not being by a big name writer, I figured that series was done.
    Apparently there's going to be a Miles and Peter story afterwards, hence the thought behind the book becoming a team-up series.

Granted, Tom Taylor himself also does a lot of team-ups...

Same as I said in other thread, Taylor's work on X-Men: Red doesn't inspire much hope. Gabby's eventual shoehorning will be annoying as hell as usual.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Gabby's eventual shoehorning will be annoying as hell as usual.
    Yeah but we want that to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post

Fantastic Member

I like Taylor's work so I'm excited to see him on a spider-man book.
    I do hope spectacuar spider-man sticks around too since peter parker is my favourite comic character of all time i'll buy as many solo spidey books as i can get my hands on, hell if i could i'd bring back sensationl, web of and adjectiveless too lol
    plus since he's marvel most popular character it makes sense to have more than 1 book in case people who love the character dont like 1 writers work then they can get another.

its why i'm glad we have lots of batman books cause detective comics is awesome while tom king's batman is a huge hit or miss and id ropped it after the wedding debacle.

so the more spidey the merrier for me
    DC: Action Comics, Batman, Batman/Superman, Batman and Robin, Batman Off World, Detective Comics, Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, JG: Flash, JL vs. Godzilla, JSA, Nightwing, Shazam, Superman, Titans, Beast World

Marvel: Amazing Spider-Man, Fall of the House of X, Fantastic Four, Resurrection of Magneto, Spectacular Spider-Men, Ultimate Spider-Man, WolverineL Madripoor Knights, X-Men

BANNED

Please... PLEASE, Marvel, don't ditch Spec again! It's a title with equal importance to Spider-Man as Amazing ever was.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I wonder if this will have stories something like the side missions in Spider-Man ps4?

Incredible Member

During my glory years of Spider-Reading, there was at least three regular Spider-Titles, at one point, six Spider-Titles running simultaneously.

During periods I did not care for the stories, mood, direction Amazing Spider-Man was going, I found alternative refuge with the classic familiarity of Kurt Busiek / Pat Oliffe's Untold Tales of Spider-Man, the unexpectedly wacky super villains (Jack O' Lantern, Chameleon, Grizzly, Gibbon, Spot, Kangaroo, Kraven, White Rabbit, Conundrum) of DeMatteis' second trip of Spectacular Spider-Man, the slices of life of Paul Jenkins' Peter Parker Spider-Man, and deeper character-driven characterizations of Peter David's Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man.