Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Whether she's stronger than Hulk or Thor isn't really relevant for the purposes of defeating Thanos, since he has all the Infinity Stones. The plan can't just be to outpunch him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    Thor failed because he didn’t stop Thanos from snapping his fingers and destroying half the universe but physically he showed he was more than capable of killing Thanos in a one on one confrontation so Danvers doesn’t necessarily have to be stronger or more powerful than Thor to put an end to Thanos. Just needs a better battle plan than Thor.
    Well I see it as more so Thor caught Thanos off guard, similar to how hulk initially got some hits in, but had that fight actually went longer and Thanos composed himself, I don't think it would if been an easy fight, and it could very well go either way

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Well I see it as more so Thor caught Thanos off guard, similar to how hulk initially got some hits in, but had that fight actually went longer and Thanos composed himself, I don't think it would if been an easy fight, and it could very well go either way
    Because Thanos had the Infinity stones, I'm certain it would not have been an easy fight had Thor not taken him by surprise. Thor almost certainly would have lost.

But gems aside, it's a very different fight than the one with Hulk because Thor has a lot more options options offensively than Hulk has. And MCU Thanos without the stones hasn't demonstrated quite as many abilities as the comic version. If THanos hypotheticlaly didn't have the gems and Thor kept his distance, Thor might actually have the advantage. But Thor being Thor probably would try to fight hand to hand, and he likely wouldn't get better results than Hulk did.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    i hope she is not going to be an invincible Mary Sue that makes my man Thor look like an incompetent buffoon
    Unfortunately, I expect exactly this to be the case.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    Unfortunately, I expect exactly this to be the case.
    If this hypothetically will be the last run for Cap, Iron Man and Thor (and we don't know for sure it will for all 3 of them), then honestly I'm expecting the last Avengers movie to be a tribute the them. The movie HAS to establish Carol if she's going to fill that void, but I don't think it'll be at the expense of the Avengers big 3.

I don't really have an issue with her being more powerful myself, or having the potential to be the most powerful.

She's similar to the Hulk in that regard, at her base she's one of the strongest people on Earth, but given the right push she's a cosmic level powerhouse.

Plus the power levels in comics are always up and down, right now she'd lose in a pure fist fight to Hulk, but could still take him on for a while, and she'd likely demolish the current Thor. Whereas 5 years ago Thor would have beaten them both, and 5 years before that Hulk was on a rampage, and then 10 years before that she'd have tossed them into the sun. Etc.

who knows she might be. its the movies. separate from the comics. I leave it at that.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I don't mind the Binary stuff. It makes sense that certain characters who are energy based have the ability to increase their power levels by absorbing more energy.

And I think her being Binary permanently frankly makes her a bit over powered UNLESS she's more a cosmic character as opposed to an earth bound one. Giving her the ability to scale under the right circumstances makes her a more usable character.
    It makes sense for some characters, but not all energy based characters. Some should have natural, scientific limitations. In the way that a match stick has limitations as to how much heat and light it can create, so too should most energy beings. And even if you add a matchstick to a bigger flame, it's consumed entirely, absorbed by the much larger conflagration. That's how it should work. Carol's ability to absorb should be capped, just like Hulk's rage x-factor should be capped. Limitless should not be in either of their potential. Carol in particular should be deathly afraid of going to Binary mode, because she's no longer Binary, mistress of the "white hole." Approaching those levels should pose the risk of her being completely lost forever to the power of the twin suns.

To your second point, yes, writers prefer much more manageable power levels for their characters, especially when the character's main focus is Earth-based issues. Making Carol have Binary levels of power all of the time will trigger their fear of jobber plots and inconsistencies in resolutions. Moreover, it would push them to research, learn, and actually be creative when it comes to how they defeat those abilities, or present credible countermeasures. They just don't want the hassle of having to deal with that. I get it.

Still, my opinion remains. Either make Carol Binary all of the time (my preference), or limit her as Captain Marvel without the Binary option. It's a convenient (read: lazy) plot device. And frankly, with a guy running around who has the power of a billion suns coursing through him, or another character who can get so mad that when he walks, he destroys planets, or another guy who is one of the most powerful gods in most pantheons combined getting a mystical nigh-all powerful hammer, letting Carol have full Binary powers all of the time seems like such a silly, inconsequential ask. I mean seriously, what if the situation arises that there's no way for her to "boost up" to Binary level on her own? Then what? Why make the woman work for something that the most powerful cosmic men have all along with promise of even greater heights that they can achieve on their own?
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member

Check this video out.
    It talks about carol's binary powers.
    Grudge Match 71: Supergirl vs Captain Marvel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7azGBoPReQ
    Last edited by mace11; 12-30-2018 at 01:38 PM.

Extraordinary Member

The REAL Reason Why Stormbreaker Overpowered the Infinity Gauntlet - INFINITY WAR EXPLAINED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wf-UwBi16w

Extraordinary Member

Thor & Stormbreaker the Key to Defeat Thanos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcBXnXAGk_o

I can't see her being stronger . She is strong and powerful but I suspect her greatest contribution will come from her knowing something the others don't.

Sure she will get in her smacks but I don't think they will be punching Thanos into submission.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's probably going to be like Hulk where the madder he gets, the stronger he gets.

Baseline Carol is probably on par with Thor and baseline Hulk, but she's much stronger when she absorbs a lot of energy and goes Binary.

But that was true in the comics to begin with.
    In comics, Carol is only at their level when she goes Binary.

In film, I doubt baseline Carol will be in the Thor and Hulk range. I would guess she has to go Binary in order to surpass them.

I think Infinity War made Hulk look too weak -- he gave up way too easily.

Hulk's stronger than either of them. They might have energy blasts and magic and all that but when it comes to dishing out and taking punishment Hulk is ahead of either of them.

Especially then latter.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by catbellysqueezer View Post
    I was hoping Ant Man would be the one to kick Thanos's ass but if not, she will have to be stronger than Thor and Hulk because they already failed.
    Only Bendis would do something as stupid as Thanos getting punked by Ant-Man. The Russo Bros. are smarter than Bendis.