Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Based on the word of Brisson: it was to clean up loose ends. It was getting rid of the O5 doppelgangers. It was cleaning up Cable's story by introducing a younger, less complicated version. It was killing of Bloodstorm so that Storm wouldn't have a doppelganger. It was resetting Rachel back to factory settings. It was bringing X-Force back together in a way that justified a version of the original team being on a team with one another.

Mimic's death was unnecessary but well handled. Otherwise, it was just putting the toys back in the box.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Based on the word of Brisson: it was to clean up loose ends. It was getting rid of the O5 doppelgangers. It was cleaning up Cable's story by introducing a younger, less complicated version. It was killing of Bloodstorm so that Storm wouldn't have a doppelganger. It was resetting Rachel back to factory settings. It was bringing X-Force back together in a way that justified a version of the original team being on a team with one another.

Mimic's death was unnecessary but well handled. Otherwise, it was just putting the toys back in the box.
    Agreed. Everything is on reset mode now it seems so we can reboot & start from whatever point they wanna start from. lol We've been getting it for a min. We're mainly in a LONG transition period from the Alonso / Paniccia years, which was predicted that most of 018 would be having this.

* Psylocke is back to original form.
    * Rachel is back to hound form
    * 05 have left the building
    * Cable seems to be getting a do-over
    * Havok is back to normal after AXIS.
    * Sabretooth has been reset
    * Jubilee is de-vamped and back with her powers
    * Graydon Creed is back.

Jordan D. White stated last week that the old era before him has ended. All the books and plots that started before his reign have ended, now we are officially in his era of the X-years.

So far, I have no complaints about some things getting fixed because what was going on wasn't development, so much as unneeded crap. But Sabretooth & Rachel's resets are the disheartening ones, because they actually were undergoing development that could take them in new & better directions. Whereas nothing good is waiting for them going back where they came from. Least nothing good for their fans, so likely.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 12-29-2018 at 10:29 PM.

More:

Bishop is back being to being a good soldier.
    Archangel is back to being an angry monster.
    Magneto is back to being an antagonist.
    White Queen is back at the Hellfire Club.
    Various New Mutants are getting thier powers back via transmode virus.
    Younger generations of mutants are choosing their own path.

Actually, scratch that. The point of Extermination was to piss me off specifically.

The only recent X-Men retrosnorting backtracking nostalgiahumping development that's good is Magneto going back to being a baddie, because it was earned by half a decade of Cullen Bunn stuff. It's the only one of his plotlines he actually got to conclude properly.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Lol, you guys complaining that Extermination was pointless probably didn't read the 3 Issue miniseries, Typhoid Fever.

The dumpster trash fire that really had no point except to use the X-mens popularity to promote Typhoid Mary, while making the X-men look like complete idiots. After reading stuff like that, it's hard for me to complain about Extermination being pointless.

You may not like the things it did (killing cable, bringing nu cable, Rachel Permanently a hound, Ahab operating in our timeline for the time being, giving real o5 teen 05 powers and memories), but they did happen.

I think it was a fitting ending to the O5 saga, will probably go back and read through it all again.
    All new X-men vol
    Battle of the Atom
    Cyclops solo
    Black Vortex
    All new X-men vol 2
    X-men Blue
    Venomized
    Jean grey solo
    Extermination

Champions too. Waid's run, that is.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Champions too. Waid's run, that is.
    True, for Cyclops adventures, I didn't actually read that, maybe an issue or two here and there, I wasn't really a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Based on the word of Brisson:

- It was cleaning up Cable's story by introducing a younger, less complicated version.
    I’ll be interested to see how it does that exactly. If this is the same version who was raised by Redd and Slymm in the future and who grew up in the Askani cult and its teachings, what did it really simplify exactly? I suppose now he doesn’t have the baggage of having raised Hope in the future for 17 years but, let’s be honest, that was like the least complicated part of his backstory. Ha.

So killing OG Cable and replacing with Baby Cable seems damn pointless. We’ll see I suppose. Maybe Brisson can make it make sense down the line when we dive into his backstory in X-Force issue #5 in March.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I’ll be interested to see how it does that exactly. If this is the same version who was raised by Redd and Slymm in the future and who grew up in the Askani cult and its teachings, what did it really simplify exactly? I suppose now he doesn’t have the baggage of having raised Hope in the future for 17 years but, let’s be honest, that was like the least complicated part of his backstory. Ha.

So killing OG Cable and replacing with Baby Cable seems damn pointless. We’ll see I suppose. Maybe Brisson can make it make sense down the line when we dive into his backstory in X-Force issue #5 in March.
    Well, at least I won't have to worry about tracking down what Cable has been in when I'm out of the loop, or buying marvel comics any more (Cable appearances was it for marvel from me anyway, so it's not like they've lost much, hehe, only me ).

He’ll be back. I don’t think Kid Cable is all that long for this world. Part of Cable’s appeal was his grizzled soldier persona and merc background. Without those things he comes across as Cable Lite, figuratively and literally. They’ll bring the real deal back at some point. And I’m betting it won’t be long because I don’t think this new X-Force is going to sell very well. The art is too polarizing and Kid Cable sucks as a concept almost as bad as Jimmy Hudson. Or Kid Lobo. It actually kind of feels like that fiasco all over again to me. SMDH.

Kid Cable simplifies Cable's story as much as the time travelling O5 simplified the story of the adult 05 i.e. not very much

To give us some pretty gorgeous art an group shots?

BANNED

Yeah, there's nothing that simplifies Cable with bringing a younger version of him to the books. Might as well just say "we thought the concept of a teen Cable in the present was cool and ran with it". I remember people saying it was because of synergy with Deadpool, which makes even less sense as Brolin was also an old man in Deadpool 2. Oh well, let's see what happens.

Brolin was 48 when he filmed Deadpool 2. Not an old man. But also not a kid. Not by a long shot!

Quote Originally Posted by QuinnFillory View Post
    Now that the event involving the O5 is over, I am left wondering what the real point of the whole thing was? Was it really necessary to make an event surrounding the O5 finally going home? And, why did the original Cable need to die? Also, how does all of this connect to the reveal at the end?

I am so confused.
    You answered your own question and yes it was. Close thread

Brolin was 48 when he filmed Deadpool 2. Not an old man. But also not a kid. Not by a long shot!
    Josh Brolin may have been 48, but that doesnt mean his Cable was. The hair and makeup on that film did him up to look older than he is as an actor.
    Last edited by Havok83; 12-30-2018 at 06:04 PM.