View Poll Results: What did you think of this issue?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll

3 15.00%

10 50.00%

5 25.00%

2 10.00%

0 0%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by starlight25 View Post
    She has one of the most common sets of powers. Flight, super speed, super strength, durability. That is the base of her powers. They are not difficult to understand at all.
    And so far Wilson has demonstrated a combo of super speed and strength, super reflexes, flying, and bullets and bracelets. Not so much with superpowered compassion yet, but I expect it to come later on, and it's still early days.

And perhaps more importantly, she has really set out to have Diana do stunts with her lasso. Wilson shows that she is willing to think about one set of Diana's powers and use it creatively; that makes me hopeful she will continue with exploring many more.

So I'm not understanding any point of Diana being nerfed in any way in Wilson's run. I can understand her not getting Diana's voice yet, but it's improving, and fast, and if the art had been better it could probably have papered over a lot of those cracks.

And like SiegePerilous02 points out, all superpowered heroes adapt their power use to the circumstances, and arguably Diana does it more so than most anyone else. Battling Ares is a different context from protecting a family targeted by a couple of soldiers. If she can do things without using all of her powers, she won't use all of her powers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    And so far Wilson has demonstrated a combo of super speed and strength, super reflexes, flying, and bullets and bracelets. Not so much with superpowered compassion yet, but I expect it to come later on, and it's still early days.

And perhaps more importantly, she has really set out to have Diana do stunts with her lasso. Wilson shows that she is willing to think about one set of Diana's powers and use it creatively; that makes me hopeful she will continue with exploring many more.

So I'm not understanding any point of Diana being nerfed in any way in Wilson's run. I can understand her not getting Diana's voice yet, but it's improving, and fast, and if the art had been better it could probably have papered over a lot of those cracks.

And like SiegePerilous02 points out, all superpowered heroes adapt their power use to the circumstances, and arguably Diana does it more so than most anyone else. Battling Ares is a different context from protecting a family targeted by a couple of soldiers. If she can do things without using all of her powers, she won't use all of her powers.
    So far gww has shown those powers in a nerfed way. Reacting to bullets and lifting a plane shouldn't be the top level of her speed and strength, not even close. When she is supposed to have God like speed and strength. I'm complaining because i'm tired of all the descriptions about her powers, and then nothing to actually show it. And for us fans to enjoy by looking at it. She has Godly powers running through her veins and fights Gods. Yet speeding bullets and lifting planes are the best? For a book featuring so many Gods. It doesn't feel very God like. And it has been that way for years.

Astonishing Member

She has one of the most common sets of powers. Flight, super speed, super strength, durability. That is the base of her powers. They are not difficult to understand at all.

There is not a rule that says you can't have a good story without nerfing a character. That is ridiculous. She is a character with a rogue gallery filled with Gods, Avatars, etc. Aka opponents that are supposed to be powerful. And she is supposed to be powerful enough to face them.

Writers that need to nerf characters to proceed with a story is in my opinion, an evidence that those writers lack imagination, creativity and that they are lazy.
    I would say Wilson needs a not so strong Wonder Woman for the story she wants to tell.

Her moment saving the kids is great, but the scene would lose its impact if she could do it pretty easily.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    I would say Wilson needs a not so strong Wonder Woman for the story she wants to tell.

Her moment saving the kids is great, but the scene would lose its impact if she could do it pretty easily.
    That is not true. The story doesn't need to lose its meaning or strength because of WW's power. I don't see other powerhouses having to go through this as much as WW. WW fights Gods. Saving 2 kids should be easy for somebody that is supposed to be God level powerful.

Astonishing Member

That is not true. The story doesn't need to lose its meaning or strength because of WW's power. I don't see other powerhouses having to go through this as much as WW. WW fights Gods. Saving 2 kids should be easy for somebody that is supposed to be God level powerful.
    I mean the story that Wilson wants to tell needs a not so strong Wonder Woman to preserve its impact.

I don't think they can put other powerhouse is this story without reduce their powers either.

I'm pretty sure there are other stories where Wonder Woman can be a total powerhouse without the story los its impact.

Would you say the same thing if it were Superman?

Or the Flash?

Diana is up there in speed, and Flash has literally evacuated thousands in seconds.

This is the sort of thing I was referring to - lowering Diana's speed for the sake of a story.

In my opinion, if you need Diana to be slower or more vulnerable in order to give a scene impact, then you're not writing the character correctly.

Diana is a powerhouse and shouldn't be shown to be less than that in order to provide emotional impact. Plenty of other top tier characters have lots of impact and emotion without being written as less than what they should be.

BANNED

I mean the story that Wilson wants to tell needs a not so strong Wonder Woman to preserve its impact.

I don't think they can put other powerhouse is this story without reduce their powers either.

I'm pretty sure there are other stories where Wonder Woman can be a total powerhouse without the story los its impact.
    What impact? The meaning of the story is not lost because of WW's powers. How is that possible? A message about war and saving lives will be less effective because WW can easily save 2 kids from a battlefield? She is supposed to be capable of more than that after all, isn't she? And i see other powerhouses saving people from a battlefield all the time without a struggle. Or are all the Gods and villains she fights weak, and as a result having powers from many Gods is actually not a big deal?

What story will have WW as a powerhouse? She has been nerfed since 2011 and never recovered.

And i don't want power levels that fluctuate depending on the story. That is lazy and poor writing of massive proportions. I want consistency. Character development and great power. As a long term fan i expect to see both.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post

Or the Flash?
    I'm not sure if I understand your question.

If Superman or Flash appear with all his power to save the kids pretty easily, I think the moment will lose its impact too. The scene looks great, because she's struggling.

I wouldn't have problem if they reduce the power of Superman for benefit of the story. It would be weird if they reduce the speed of Flash, since it's his thing.

That said, I agree it's a problem that DC reduce the power of Wonder Woman, while the other characters mantain their powers (relatively) constant.
    Last edited by Konja7; 01-04-2019 at 12:18 PM.

BANNED

I'm not sure if I understand your question.

If Superman or Flash appear with all his power to save the kids pretty easily, I think the moment will lose its impact too. The scene looks great, becausebshe's struggling.

I wouldn't have problem if they reduce the power of Superman for benefit of the story. It would be weird if they reduce the speed of Flash, since it's his thing.

That said, I agree it's a problem that DC reduce the power of Wonder Woman, while the other characters mantain their powers (relatively) constant.
    What impact of the story would be lost? WW is there to save lives and save the day. Like a superhero is supposed to. But if she can save those kids easily, the meaning of the message is lost and it means nothing anymore? Sorry but i can't agree with that.

And consistency is an essential part of a good run. Consistency in the portrayal of the characters, from their personalities to their power levels. Comic writers are spoiled. They are allowed to literally make characters lose some of their powers in the middle of a fight just for the sake of the plot. Look at an even worse case in heros in crisis, where harly owned Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman at the same time. What is the point? If writers can't be consistent. If they can't create emotional scenes without nerfing characters depending on the story, that is not good writing in my book. And they don't derserve to be called profesionals. Because you have to be consistently good at your job, in order to be a real profesional.
    Last edited by starlight25; 01-04-2019 at 12:14 PM.

Astonishing Member

What impact? The meaning of the story is not lost because of WW's powers. How is that possible? A message about war and saving lives will be less effective because WW can easily save 2 kids from a battlefield? She is supposed to be capable of more than that after all, isn't she? And i see other powerhouses saving people from a battlefield all the time without a struggle. Or are all the Gods and villains she fights weak, and as a result having powers from many Gods is actually not a big deal?

What story will have WW as a powerhouse? She has been nerfed since 2011 and never recovered.

And i don't want power levels that fluctuate depending on the story. That is lazy and poor writing of massive proportions. I want consistency. Character development and great power. As a long term fan i expect to see both.
    My point is that the scene looks great, because she is struggling. If Wonder Woman (or any other superhero) would rescue the kids with extreme ease, the scene would lose its impact.

I have seen other superheroes in other comics saving kids in battlefield with ease, the scenes do not usually generate me that impact.
    Last edited by Konja7; 01-04-2019 at 12:40 PM.

BANNED

My point is that the scene looks good because she is struggling. If Wonder Woman (or any other superhero) would rescue the children with extreme ease, the scene would lose its impact.

I have seen other superheroes in other comics saving kids in battlefield with ease, the scenes do not usually generate that impact.
    Why? Because she a woman that is supposed to be far, far above human level can/should do something like that easily? But that is the point. Isn't she called Wonder Woman? Stronger than Hercules, faster than Hermes. That was the original introduction. I would expect her to be capable of saving 2 kids easily. And the story shouln't lose its impact. For struggles you have all the powerful magical creatures, Avatars and Gods that she has in her rogue gallery.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post

Or the Flash?

Diana is up there in speed, and Flash has literally evacuated thousands in seconds.

This is the sort of thing I was referring to - lowering Diana's speed for the sake of a story.

In my opinion, if you need Diana to be slower or more vulnerable in order to give a scene impact, then you're not writing the character correctly.

Diana is a powerhouse and shouldn't be shown to be less than that in order to provide emotional impact. Plenty of other top tier characters have lots of impact and emotion without being written as less than what they should be.
    Very well said.

Astonishing Member

Why? Because she a woman that is supposed to be far, far above human level can do something easily? Isn't she called Wonder Woman? Stronger than Hercules, faster than Hermes. That was the original introduction. I would expect her to be capable of saving 2 kids easily. And the story shouln't lose its impact. For struggles you have all the powerful magical creatures, Avatars and Gods that she has in her rogue gallery.
    Wonder Woman should save the kids pretty easily. However, the scene of she saving the kids will lose its impact for me (it will lost its impact with any other superhero too).

Of course, they can put the other situations (like fighting against Gods), where she can be a total powerhouse, but still struggling.

I just don't think Wilson wants to tell that story.
    Last edited by Konja7; 01-04-2019 at 12:28 PM.

BANNED

Wonder Woman should save the kids pretty easily. However, the scene of she saving the kids will lose its impact for me (it will lost its impact with any other superhero too).

Of course, they can put the other situations (like fighting against Gods), where she can be a total powerhouse, but still struggling.

I don't think her saving the kids easily shoukd make the story lose its impact. And it'd be nice to see WW again, doing something without going uhh! making it sound like she is always at her limits doing anything.

If wilson don't want a powerhouse WW. She shouldn't be using Ares, A GOD in her story. And honetly, she shouldn't have accepted the job if she doesn't want a powerhouse WW. Because a powerhouse is what she was created to be since day one.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

If you wanna show Wonder Woman struggling, ramp up the scale of the conflict, bring out the heavy artillery, give Wonder Woman a challenge that's commensurate with her power, it's not that hard…instead of 2 kids, make it 20