View Poll Results: What did you think of this issue?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll

3 15.00%

10 50.00%

5 25.00%

2 10.00%

0 0%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Its definitely the best issue of the run by far, though I think its telling that as soon as Wonder Woman is introduced I found myself getting bored, maybe, I just don't like Wonder Woman as a character?
    Last edited by Pinsir; 01-13-2019 at 07:09 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Its definitely the best issue of the run by far, though I think its telling that as soon as Wonder Woman is introduce I found myself getting bored, maybe, I just don't like Wonder Woman as a character?
    I had to come to this conclusion a while ago....

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    I had to come to this conclusion a while ago....
    Why is that?

Extraordinary Member

Its definitely the best issue of the run by far, though I think its telling that as soon as Wonder Woman is introduced I found myself getting bored, maybe, I just don't like Wonder Woman as a character?
    Or maybe you just don’t like the way she’s written here.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Or maybe you just don’t like the way she’s written here.
    Probably, but the WW's characterization here and the problems that I have with it are consistent with the character has been portrayed for years now.

Going through this comic again, here are a couple of things that irk me about her personality:
    >>> Wonder Woman going to some undisclosed third world nation to do politics (Its not really a terrific example here, since Ares is what drew WW here in the first place...I think, I can't remember exactly what the set up was. Anyway, this became a WW trope especially after 9/11 and I absolutely hate it. I'm not saying you cannot 100% do this, but these stories almost always take an approach that is very simplistic and can make the author come off as ignorant and simplifies conflicts, often painting both sides as being simply 'victims of human nature'. There is an episode of JLU with Hawk and Dove that is a classic example of this, in fact, Ares in the main bad guy of that episode too!)

>>> Wonder Woman kneeling to Aphrodite as soon as she learns her identity. (This comes from George Perez btw and it also doesn't match at all with her new origin story, since she's essentially worshipping a family member. I may not like the Zeus-daddy origin, but I liked how Wonder Woman treated the other gods in Azzarello's run.

>>> I think Wonder Woman works better as enigmatic character that speaks very little (aka, how Azzarello and Rucka wrote her, this is also how she's written in the movie). I find the work most tedious when WW spouts several lines of dialogue, such as "Are we really Gods? Your Gods are made of stone , but I am made of flesh and blood. What does it mean when we are of flesh and blood?" What does that statement even mean? It just comes off as needless philosophical circle jerking.

I don't want to come off as too critical though, since the author herself has admitted she didn't really capture WW in these early issues, so I would like to say I found Aphrodite's character very interesting. I'm certain that a lot of her character may have been inspired by how the Azzarello wrote his pantheon. I gave the comic 3 stars based on the art and the Aphrodite stuff alone, so I'm a lot more invested now than I was previously.

BANNED

Probably, but the WW's characterization here and the problems that I have with it are consistent with the character has been portrayed for years now.

Going through this comic again, here are a couple of things that irk me about her personality:
    >>> Wonder Woman going to some undisclosed third world nation to do politics (Its not really a terrific example here, since Ares is what drew WW here in the first place...I think, I can't remember exactly what the set up was. Anyway, this became a WW trope especially after 9/11 and I absolutely hate it. I'm not saying you cannot 100% do this, but these stories almost always take an approach that is very simplistic and can make the author come off as ignorant and simplifies conflicts, often painting both sides as being simply 'victims of human nature'. There is an episode of JLU with Hawk and Dove that is a classic example of this, in fact, Ares in the main bad guy of that episode too!)

>>> Wonder Woman kneeling to Aphrodite as soon as she learns her identity. (This comes from George Perez btw and it also doesn't match at all with her new origin story, since she's essentially worshipping a family member. I may not like the Zeus-daddy origin, but I liked how Wonder Woman treated the other gods in Azzarello's run.

>>> I think Wonder Woman works better as enigmatic character that speaks very little (aka, how Azzarello and Rucka wrote her, this is also how she's written in the movie). I find the work most tedious when WW spouts several lines of dialogue, such as "Are we really Gods? Your Gods are made of stone , but I am made of flesh and blood. What does it mean when we are of flesh and blood?" What does that statement even mean? It just comes off as needless philosophical circle jerking.

I don't want to come off as too critical though, since the author herself has admitted she didn't really capture WW in these early issues, so I would like to say I found Aphrodite's character very interesting. I'm certain that a lot of her character may have been inspired by how the Azzarello wrote his pantheon. I gave the comic 3 stars based on the art and the Aphrodite stuff alone, so I'm a lot more invested now than I was previously.
    What's wrong with WW talking? You don't want her to talk and express herself in her title, film, etc? She has a personality, a point of view about things. And i would believe anybody that likes the character would want to know about these things. She is not supposed to just be there to look pretty.

And imo azz should be ignored. You were talking about WW mythos being damaged by Perez. Well azz damaged them way more.

Quote Originally Posted by starlight25 View Post
    What's wrong with WW talking? You don't want her to talk and express herself in her title, film, etc? She has a personality, a point of view about things. And i would believe anybody that likes the character would want to know about these things. She is not supposed to just be there to look pretty.

And imo azz should be ignored. You were talking about WW mythos being damaged by Perez. Well azz damaged them way more.
    Its more of an issue of presentation than content. For example, here's a line from this issue; "Stay behind my shield! Keep your head down and put your feet where I put mine!" Its rather wordy and confusing considering the context (they are under my fire). I would just have her say something like, "Follow my lead!" or "Keep close!" Something quick that matches the pace of the panel which occupies an entire page, though the content of her words is the exact same.

EDIT: The statement I'm citing would be better for a younger, more immature character in a setting that is a lot more comical...so something like Ms. Marvel.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 01-14-2019 at 05:09 PM.

Incredible Member

A couple of people also said they don't care much for Wonder Woman in another thread. I wonder what needs to be fixed for her to be more likable.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    A couple of people also said they don't care much for Wonder Woman in another thread. I wonder what needs to be fixed for her to be more likable.
    I like her personality just fine, but I do like her best when she talks like a normal person. This is a bad example because everyone hated Robinson so much, but one thing I enjoyed was his Diana speaking with contractions, being self aware and using sarcasm to make her point. That's something she almost never does (unless she's talking to Circe for some reason). She's self righteous, pure as the driven snow, infinitely nice and always right, I can see how all that could be annoying to some people.