Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

IIRC, it detected him when Radditz specifically stood a few feet away from the guy and told it to analyze him. So it's really a question of at what point the thing would be programmed to have an alert, which we have no real basis for knowing. Someone with a power level that low is functionally incapable of doing Radditz physical harm without an ability like Kitty's, so I suspect he wouldn't have it set up that way anymore than you'd want your phone to tell you when a fruit fly gets to close to your head. He might have it set up that way or he might not, anyway.

Nevertheless, it's all rather moot, as it only comes up if the match starts like, with Radditz sleeping and wearing earmuffs.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Maybe? I mean, getting the drop on someone with superhuman senses, super speed, and a tool that allows them to detect life energy on a global scale would be tricky, and there's a possibility that the whole "power levels allow people to ignore esoterics from people who aren't at least comparable in power to themselves" thing might come into play, but if she can let go of a brick after phasing it into his brain, that should be a rather good game winner right there.
    The esoterics thing I think only kicks in with some of the major super powers of the series.

Kitty has phased Thor and Hulk before. Both of which are class 100 with various examples of esoteric resistance themselves.

She also phased a city sized bullet through the planet before. Pretty sure if it's not the Arena, she could find a way to eventually get close to the guy and drag him into the bedrock.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Extraordinary Member

Depends on the arena. Someone like Dr. Strange, Blink, or Magik could probably take him out if they didn't have to get close. Teleport him into the sun or teleport his head off. Or transform him into something harmless like Buu liked to do.

Any telepath worth his salt should be able to ko him without having to be there.

And if worse comes to worse, just have Spider-Man jump around with his spidey-sense while hitting Radditz with his 2-ton punches over and over. (Joke, but this is what Marvel would do if they were given the chance to write this sort of matchup).

I think Thor has the sort of speed feats necessary, but most of those who are fast enough aren't strong enough and vice versa.

That moment when you realize Yamcha is stronger than most of the Marvel Universe - since he was able to beat the Saibaman before it went all kamikaze.

Thor is not fast enough
    None of the others mentioned either, Raditz is far too quick for any of them to try anything esoteric

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    That moment when you realize Yamcha is stronger than most of the Marvel Universe - since he was able to beat the Saibaman before it went all kamikaze.
    I'm tellin' you, a flying brick with both an inferiority complex and a streak of envy in the world of Marvel would be fun to read. Like the Sentry, but not nearly as powerful and wayyy more likable.

BANNED

Miss America Chavez.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    The esoterics thing I think only kicks in with some of the major super powers of the series.

Kitty has phased Thor and Hulk before. Both of which are class 100 with various examples of esoteric resistance themselves.

She also phased a city sized bullet through the planet before. Pretty sure if it's not the Arena, she could find a way to eventually get close to the guy and drag him into the bedrock.
    I mean, even hand-waving phasing working on Radditz, doing anything that would involve her phasing Radditz is the absolute worst idea, since, IIRC, phasing other people means that they can touch her while she is phased, which means that her internal organs would be spread across three timezones the millisecond after she touched Radditz.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    I mean, even hand-waving phasing working on Radditz, doing anything that would involve her phasing Radditz is the absolute worst idea, since, IIRC, phasing other people means that they can touch her while she is phased, which means that her internal organs would be spread across three timezones the millisecond after she touched Radditz.
    Is that how it works?

I mean, it would have required some non-arena style scenario shenanigans to even be viable in the first place. Now it's even less likely.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Is that how it works?

I mean, it would have required some non-arena style scenario shenanigans to even be viable in the first place. Now it's even less likely.
    I *think* that's how Magneto managed to shock her. She came in (with the intent to kill!) and tried to phase a thick icicle into his gut. But the instant she tried to solidify and impale him, his body sensed the new solid molecules; at the speed of thought, he sent an electric shock through direct body contact up the icicle's water molecules, both electrocuting her and phasing her against her will so that he was de-stabbed/un-stabbed/whatever.

Of course, this was the 90s when Magneto was arguably at the height of his powers AND at the height of comic book physics. Realistically (for lack of a better term) he still should've been somewhat stabbed, but IIRC he came out just fine, as if he was never impaled at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I *think* that's how Magneto managed to shock her. She came in (with the intent to kill!) and tried to phase a thick icicle into his gut. But the instant she tried to solidify and impale him, his body sensed the new solid molecules; at the speed of thought, he sent an electric shock through direct body contact up the icicle's water molecules, both electrocuting her and phasing her against her will so that he was de-stabbed/un-stabbed/whatever.

Of course, this was the 90s when Magneto was arguably at the height of his powers AND at the height of comic book physics. Realistically (for lack of a better term) he still should've been somewhat stabbed, but IIRC he came out just fine, as if he was never impaled at all.
    Magneto: "MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGNNNEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!"

*Kitty turns into a shrub*

Xavier: "I want to complain about how that has nothing to do with magnetism, but on the other hand, I don't want to be turned into a shrub."

Anyway, I don't recall that Kitty phasing people means they can touch her while she's phased unless there was some example of that. The Magneto thing was less that and more Magneto just generally reversing crap onto people by screaming Magnets a lot and just basically breaking reality, as I recall it.

Can we get some clarification on what type of shrub? I feel like Ficus is appropriate.

Im just wondering if its worth taking the shrub home after the battle.
    - big_adventure

Hahaha, I checked the comic, god. So, okay, what happens is basically that she tries to solidify the ice chunk inside him, but apparently in the moment it starts to solidify or... something, it's not really clear honestly whether he did it while it was still intangible or while it solidified or whatever, he disperses it to hydrogen and oxygen within his chest, while conducting an "electrostatic charge" through it, which takes out Kitty. So basically first he disperses the ice chunk inside him from being able to do anything, then he sends a charge up the rest of it to take Kitty out.

MAGNETS!

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

Fuckin magnets, how do they work?
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Apparently however Magneto says they work.