Default "The Empty Chair" LJ story in Hellboy Winter Special 2018

Couple of quick questions regarding this story (by Tonci Zonjic):

* The story is datelined "New York City, 1930".

The five-issue Lobster Johnson series "The Burning Hand" starts with a newspaper dated "February 6, 1932".

What other stories (if any) are there that have taken place prior to February 1932?

* At the end of "The Empty Chair", there's a note that the Lobster killed "P.B. 'Pretty Boy' Calory" in Spring 1932.

Has "Pretty Boy" previously been in any stories, and has a story where he died appeared yet?

Has "Pretty Boy" previously been in any stories, and has a story where he died appeared yet?
    I think it's just a part of joke. and it was funny one.

I laughed, but I don't think it was an actual reference to material already out there. Nice research though.

Quote Originally Posted by KROENEN View Post
    I laughed, but I don't think it was an actual reference to material already out there. Nice research though.
    Thanks.

I've read the Lobster Johnson comics (in tpb collections for the early ones, and as single issues for "Get the Lobster" and later), but didn't know if he could have been referenced anywhere else (even in a throwaway line in a B.P.R.D. story or something).

I think they need to do another BPRD/Hellboy companion, especially after BPRD: The Devil You Know wraps up, and update it to include a longer active history for Lobster Johnson (starting in 1930?). And I really hope to someday find out what Mignola was referring to when he said there was a Lobster Johnson family tree that nobody will believe but it's been there for a while for writers.

. . . And I really hope to someday find out what Mignola was referring to when he said there was a Lobster Johnson family tree that nobody will believe but it's been there for a while for writers.
    Maybe it goes back to the days of pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Maybe it goes back to the days of pirates.
    I wouldn't be surprised at all. It would seem appropriate even given the pulp Phantom-like template of the character.

I wouldn't be surprised at all. It would seem appropriate even given the pulp Phantom-like template of the character.
    Also seems like a good possibility to me because of this arc:

For sure, I'm going to have to re-read that arc. Rumor is Lobster Johnson will show up in the new reboot movie in some fashion. I'm hoping so!

Something else I hadn't realized before.
    When I was looking through my tpb copy Hellboy: Conqueror Worm to see if there was a more specific date reference to the Lobster and Hunte Castle, Austria than just the year (1939), I noticed this a few pages later:

And when trying to Google "Vinny the String" and Lobster Johnson, I found a reference to the Hellboy Winter Special for 2018 and the story "The Empty Chair"
    So going back to the original post for this thread,
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Couple of quick questions regarding this story (by Tonci Zonjic):

* The story is datelined "New York City, 1930".
    And those guys at the table were identified in the following panel as:
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 04-02-2019 at 01:39 PM.

All-New Member

I was wondering why I knew the names of those gangsters. Thanks for posting this