Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Good tv shows with an unrealistic character

Are there any tv shows that are well-written and entertaining but seem to have a character that's just plain unrealistic? Even if the character is funny, interesting or entertaining, everything just doesn't add up with them.

Extraordinary Member

Monica Gellar on Friends

Listen, I loved Monica and I started watching Friends because of Courtney Cox...

...but no way did this character behave like someone who used to be obese. Sure, she had some odd behavior issues - like being a clean freak. But she had no real food issues.

Dawn Summers from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Buffy was hardly a realistic show but the creation of Dawn took the unrealism to a whole new level, The show in a way never recovered.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Johnny Lawrence in Cobra Kai. I get that his character never grew out of the 80s but the show takes it to ridiculous levels. Not knowing how to use a computer, unaware of the internet, not knowing about the military enlisting women. He's oblivious to every major technological, social and political advancement of the past 30 years. Did Kreese chokehold put him a coma and he just woke up by the time the show start?

Cobra Kai is not an otherwise realistic show. It is just loads of fun.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Cobra Kai is not an otherwise realistic show. It is just loads of fun.
    I watched the first season and I thought parts of it were indeed fun, but boy were large parts of it not. I never watched season 2.

I'd go with Kramer from SEINFELD.

He definitely exists in his own little corner of the universe.

This was amplified in later seasons where he bought the old set from the Merv Griffin Show and put it in his apartment.

Or when he turned his chest of drawers set into beds for Japanese businessmen.

Of course, as the series wore on, MANY of the Seinfeld plots became wackier and wackier. Fortunately, the great cast and intricate plotting structure made you want to go along for the ride.

Ultimate Member

For me, Sheriff Hood in Banshee.

Get past that, and damn amazing show.

Mighty Member

Family Matters. Steve Urkel. Nuff Said.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    Dawn Summers from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Buffy was hardly a realistic show but the creation of Dawn took the unrealism to a whole new level, The show in a way never recovered.
    Show about magic and the supernatural uses magic to enact a major plot point, which it then spends an entire season unraveling and exploring. Whomever would have guessed. This falls more under the heading of "characters you don't like."

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Show about magic and the supernatural uses magic to enact a major plot point, which it then spends an entire season unraveling and exploring. Whomever would have guessed. This falls more under the heading of "characters you don't like."
    More like it's their opinion and you shouldn't take it so personal.

Quote Originally Posted by BushidoBlade2 View Post
    More like it's their opinion and you shouldn't take it so personal.
    I agree with Zero. Pointing out a character as unrealistic in a show about vampires, witches, demons and monsters doesn't really fit with the threads theme. How is Dawn more unrealistic than Anya or Lorne?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Johnny Lawrence in Cobra Kai. I get that his character never grew out of the 80s but the show takes it to ridiculous levels. Not knowing how to use a computer, unaware of the internet, not knowing about the military enlisting women. He's oblivious to every major technological, social and political advancement of the past 30 years. Did Kreese chokehold put him a coma and he just woke up by the time the show start?
    Johnny is somewhat realistic. Now Stingray on the other hand....

Cobra Kai takes place in the mythical land of Reseda, California, where the 80s never died, where the All Valley Karate Championship is a big deal, where there are only two car dealerships, where full contact karate between children is allowed and 70 year old men can still whip ass.
    This is no way stops it from being tremendously enjoyable.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Johnny is somewhat realistic. Now Stingray on the other hand....
    I found Stingray more believable. I can see a manchild with no adult friends or life wanting to be around high schoolers. It's great he got jailed for assaulting minors.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I agree with Zero. Pointing out a character as unrealistic in a show about vampires, witches, demons and monsters doesn't really fit with the threads theme. How is Dawn more unrealistic than Anya or Lorne?
    Doesn't matter, it's their opinion and you two shouldn't take it so personal.