Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I don't like the idea of Carmen being a hero. Villain driven series are becoming a dying breed outside horror.

She's still a professional and Master Thief, which is absolutely the most important definitive element.
    Her motives were stealing to see if she could get away with it, and about the chase, she even left clues so they could pursue her.
    Even still part of V.I.L.E, and pursued by ACME agents.
    She still gets to do that.
    The main dynamic is all there, that hasn't changed.
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-06-2019 at 08:08 AM.

there's been a fundamental shift from the old cartoons and video game tho that is undeniable.

Again I think this will do well I'm getting a strong Kim Possible vibe from this show
    The J-man

Ok, yet fundamentally she's still a professional Master Thief which is what maters.
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-08-2019 at 07:42 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

Probably more informed by the the actual gentleman thief Arsène Lupin created by Maurice Leblanc, not the anime knockoff descendent.
    And visually pulp characters like The Shadow, and of course Señorita Rio (Rita Farrar aka Consuela Maria Ascencion De Las Vegas, aka simply Consuela De Las Vegas)
    Don't forget Diabolik and Simon Templar (aka The Saint). As well as Gambit and most modern versions of Catwoman (can't believe those weren't thought of first on a comic book site). The current version of Super Sentai is using the idea with Lupinranger. There's also Fantomex who's kind of Grant Morrison's send up of that kind of character.

Anyway, the idea of the gentleman thief who's a rogue but not a villain and operates by their own sense of honor is an old crime fiction trope. A subset of the beloved "scoundrel with a heart of gold" trope. It seems like a potentially fun take and a way of setting the new series apart from the old versions. Instead of having Acme Crimenet agents traveling to various geographic locations to stop Carmen, have Carmen travel from place to place to steal stuff from villains who are worse than she is.

Ok, yet fundamentally she's still a professional Master Thief which is what maters.
    yes she's still a thief, mores Robin Hood or your heroic and altruistic outlaw than the past incarnation who was stealing for her own personal gain. And the player (you) were trying to catch her or the protagonists of the previous cartoon.

But yes if you want to ignore all that she is still a thief who steals from other thieves.
    The J-man

Might just be nostalgia, but that's what I liked about her as a kid. She was the mysterious and elusive criminal mastermind. The tv series gave her some heart of gold moments, which made me love her even more, but I thought still kept in line with the games.

I like the animation. Not as much sold on the song. I get what it's trying to be, but I'm lukewarm on it.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    Don't forget Diabolik and Simon Templar (aka The Saint). As well as Gambit and most modern versions of Catwoman (can't believe those weren't thought of first on a comic book site). The current version of Super Sentai is using the idea with Lupinranger. There's also Fantomex who's kind of Grant Morrison's send up of that kind of character.
    Yeah nobody forgot those; Diabolik, Catwoman the Saint. Arsène Lupin predates all of them, we're referencing influential Gentleman Thief theme going back to a few sources, not trying to list everything derivative influenced sense LOL!, and freakin Gambit LOL!
    And LOL Fantomex, Carmen Sandiego predates him, so how did he influence her creation? LOL!
    If you want to check the common influential Gentleman Thief trope Sandiego shares, it's not the derivative Fantomex, you look up Fantômas LOL.
    The whole show is a nod to the pulp /noir era which he influenced.
    And I also said visual, hence the Shadow, and Señorita Rio if you want to discuss classic comic specific influence on the character (look her up). One of the first Latina comic characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    ....And the player (you) were trying to catch her or the protagonists of the previous cartoon.

But yes if you want to ignore all that she is still a thief who steals from other thieves.
    Yeah looks like the "player" is still a part of it (look on the previous page he's being played by Finn Wolfhard) who said- "he provides really interesting exposition about the places and missions that Carmen gets into" (to those complaining it won't have an educational aspect). And I'm not ignoring anything, just focusing on what's fundamentally the most important thing; she's still a master thief, loaded with gadgets, still being pursued by authorities, who likely don't know why she's stealing. And she's likely still leaving clues for the chase, and still going around the world, with exposition about the places she goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lirica View Post
    Might just be nostalgia, but that's what I liked about her as a kid. She was the mysterious and elusive criminal mastermind. The tv series gave her some heart of gold moments, which made me love her even more, but I thought still kept in line with the games.

I like the animation. Not as much sold on the song. I get what it's trying to be, but I'm lukewarm on it.
    New music theme is not great, although it perfectly conveys the spy/espionage thriller plus some latin castanets and guitar flavor thrown in.
    I do however, absolutely love the way this looks.
    And f-yeah the final hang-glider escape!
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-12-2019 at 08:58 PM.

Astonishing Member

Yeah nobody forgot those; Diabolik, Catwoman the Saint. Arsène Lupin predates all of them, we're referencing influential Gentleman Thief theme going back to a few sources, not trying to list everything derivative influenced sense LOL!, and freakin Gambit LOL!
    And I said visual, hence the Shadow, and Señorita Rio if you want to discuss classic comic specific influence on the character (look her up). One of the first Latina pulp/comic characters.
    And LOL Carmen Sandiego predates Fantomex, so how did he influence her creation? LOL!
    If you want to check the common influential Gentleman Thief trope Sandiego shares, it's not the derivative Fantomex, you look up Fantômas LOL.
    I just meant that people usually go for the most familiar or recent examples first. For example, in the YouTube comments for that trailer, a whole bunch of people are saying that they turned her into Sly Cooper because of the "thief who steals from other thieves" line. Considering how many gamers there are on YouTube, it makes sense. This wasn't a "who influenced who's creation" thing. I was just naming other uses of the trope that I could remember. I could have listed Tuxedo Mask from Sailor Moon too, because in the earliest episodes they had him stealing stuff and his look is very much the way anime always dresses Lupin and other "phantom thieves". I'm pretty sure that was intentional. I don't know Senorita Rio, so I'll have to look her up.

Oh, and Fantomas was no gentleman. He was a villain and straight up murderer. I believe the real lead of those stories is a policeman named Juve who's devoted to catching Fantomas. Fantomex I only know a little about honestly, so forgive me if I'm wrong. But I believe he was named after Fantomas but visually designed to resemble Diabolik. And Morrison created him because he hated the character of Gambit, so he designed another character that could be a takedown of that particular character type. Not particularly interesting, so why he lasted as long as he did, I'll never know. It's really that he just popped into my mind first.

I just meant that people usually go for the most familiar or recent examples first. For example, in the YouTube comments
    Sounds like that's what you are doing, and Youtube comments? Ok whatever, not sure why you quoted me then? .

Anyway, really love the noir/pulp (somewhat airbrushed) look of this.
    Awesome trip round the world...

?

Japan...
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-12-2019 at 04:53 PM.

Brooklyn Bridge, NY...Pisa, Italy

Teotichuacan, Mexico City? (or more likely Chichén Itzá}

Arabia...
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-12-2019 at 05:29 PM.

Astonishing Member

Sounds like that's what you are doing, and Youtube comments? Ok whatever, not sure why you quoted me then?
    Because you started talking about character type first. I wasn't rebutting you or topping you or correcting you. I was trying to continue a line of thought. I would have referenced Lupin first if you hadn't. I just read this book a couple of months ago:
    Lupin.jpg

You know what? Whatever. Screw this.

You said...
    Don't forget Diabolik and Simon Templar (aka The Saint). As well as Gambit and most modern versions of Catwoman (can't believe those weren't thought of first on a comic book site). .
    First, before what?

Anyway, continued...

Rome...

Agra, India ...

Paris...
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-12-2019 at 04:51 PM.

London...

NY...

Egypt...
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-12-2019 at 04:50 PM.

New music theme is not great, although it perfectly conveys the spy/espionage thriller plus some latin castanets and guitar flavor thrown in.
    I'm kind of reminded of Havana by Camila Cabello.