Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

And that's enough of who is wearing more/posing provocatively when it comes to Lois and Clark.

That's a subject for the Superman forum.

This is about Wonder Woman in Heroes in Crisis, so let's stick to the topic, please
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    No drugs. Just PIS to serve Harley as DC'S new "it girl."

She manages to steal the Lasso right off Diana's hip. Bullet-deflecting reflexes? What are those?

She then uses the Lasso to take Batman hostage. God-level martial arts? What are those? She also used the Lasso to force him to tell her where he keeps his Kryptonite.

She then uses the Kryptonite to neutralize Superman, who (as usual) just stood there like a moron and just let this happen.

As Brett says, it ends with Harley leaving the Trinity in her dust, laughing all the way.
    What made it worse for me?

Diana...does...nothing.

Batman is caught in the lasso (stupid as that whole bit might have been)

Superman has kryptonite in his face (stupid as that whole bit might have been)

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, stopping Diana from acting - no lasso, no kryptonite, no nothing.

She just stood there while all this went on.

Awful writing.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    What made it worse for me?

Diana...does...nothing.

Batman is caught in the lasso (stupid as that whole bit might have been)

Superman has kryptonite in his face (stupid as that whole bit might have been)

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, stopping Diana from acting - no lasso, no kryptonite, no nothing.

She just stood there while all this went on.

Awful writing.
    Wasn't there some nonsensical thing about super speed potentially bringing down the building in which they were fighting? Because suddenly the laws of physics apply to super speed for the first time in the history of comics?

I feel like we need to invent a new word to describe this writing. "Awful" seems poor and inadequate to me.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Wasn't there some nonsensical thing about super speed potentially bringing down the building in which they were fighting? Because suddenly the laws of physics apply to super speed for the first time in the history of comics?

I feel like we need to invent a new word to describe this writing. "Awful" seems poor and inadequate to me.
    So no one is interested in the overall mystery, the subtle character revelations in the confessionals, the friendships tested, the tragic deaths or what the story is saying about ptsd and mental health?

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    So no one is interested in the overall mystery, the subtle character revelations in the confessionals, the friendships tested, the tragic deaths or what the story is saying about ptsd and mental health?
    Overall mystery? Meaning "Do I care about who is actually responsible for the latest over-the-top slaughter fest?" Not particularly. It'll either be a hero King has decided needs to be torn down or it'll be revealed that a villain was responsible for it all. Been there, done that.

Subtle character revelations? While superheroes engage in the most asinine form of psychotherapy ever devised because being a superhero absolutely MUST be portrayed as an endless parade of misery and despair? Nope. Quite bored with "realism" in my funny books about godlike beings who routinely do things that defy realism.

Friendships tested? Meaning "more grim dark realism?" See above.

Tragic deaths? It's been done to death. Superheroes being slaughtered lost its emotional impact at least a decade ago if not earlier.

PTSD and mental health? These are comic books. Not psychological texts. I read comics to get AWAY from this crappy world in which I'm forced to live. Not so I can wallow in all the things that makes it crappy even in my leisure time.
    Last edited by Vanguard-01; 01-03-2019 at 01:29 AM.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

The overall mystery could be interesting, if it was not told in such a disjointed manner and if we were actually shown the clues, rather than simply Batman and Barry!Flash declaring who the culprit is.

Subtle character revelations? We are not given enough time with the characters, and all too often King's interpretation of them comes out of the left field with no buildup (Wonder Woman bottling things up?!?). The only one booth session that really said something new and interesting was Superman's, but it has not been followed up in any meaningful manner in the rest of the narrative, including the rest of the booth sessions. Which friendships have been tested, since the characters barely act as friends?

As for tragic deaths, there are too many, shown with too little emotion, and with too little emotion from the survivors. And as for PTSD and mental health, the story isn't saying anything at all so far, because we are not shown characters dealing with PTSD or mental health.

Right now, all we have is a bunch of disjointed scenes in random order with little narrative tissue to connect them, and barely any of the characters so far have been acting with anything remotely close to agency outside of Batgirl and Blue Beetle. And that didn't happen until issue four!

Overall mystery? Meaning "Do I care about who is actually responsible for the latest over-the-top slaughter fest?" Not particularly. It'll either be a hero King has decided needs to be torn down or it'll be revealed that a villain was responsible for it all. Been there, done that.

Subtle character revelations? While superheroes engage in the most asinine form of psychotherapy ever devised because being a superhero absolutely MUST be portrayed as an endless parade of misery and despair? Nope. Quite bored with "realism" in my funny books about godlike beings who routinely do things that defy realism.

Friendships tested? Meaning "more grim dark realism?" See above.

Tragic deaths? It's been done to death. Superheroes being slaughtered lost its emotional impact at least a decade ago if not earlier.

PTSD and mental health? These are comic books. Not psychological texts. I read comics to get AWAY from this crappy world in which I'm forced to live. Not so I can wallow in all the things that makes it crappy even in my leisure time.
    This is not the only title on the racks.

DC is absolutely providing the sort of options you might be talking about wanting.

Edit:

Come to think of it, this one is just baffling.

If it's not getting too "Into Your Business...", did they somehow catch you completely unaware with this title or something? I'm honestly curious.

I can't think of the last time that I felt like a publisher was this up front about where a title was going to be going.

I can totally get a title not being for a reader. I'm just confused about how this one even made it from the rack to the register.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 01-03-2019 at 04:24 AM.

I wouldn't say "No One..."

I'm perfectly fine with this title.

As for Diana in the title, I do think that it is interesting that she is the lone member of the big three who seems to be second guessing anything.

I admit, I'm not. I'd *like* to be, but I don't see anything subtle in what comes across to me as such an incredibly forced story framework as the 'confessional' booth. I more get the impression that the writing is trying to be clever but instead comes across as pretentious to me. Donna's 'meta' confession in particular made me roll my eyes.

More importantly, though, I'm tired of crossovers and mini-series that warp character personalities and abilities to shoehorn them into a story. There is no rational scenario, for example, where Harley Quinn should be able to take on Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman and skip away laughing. She's a normal human being without armor, utility belt, or super powers of any kind, but for this weird mystery story to work, the writer felt she had to so he concocted a ridiculous scene that took me right out of the story.

And that's the problem - when you get a scene like this, it disrupts the flow of the plot and turns it from an interesting mystery into a story where the writer is prepared to pull anything out of a hat in order to make the story work.

I've lost interest, but since my comics are ordered 3 months in advance, I'll see it through.

Extraordinary Member

I admit, I'm not. I'd *like* to be, but I don't see anything subtle in what comes across to me as such an incredibly forced story framework as the 'confessional' booth. I more get the impression that the writing is trying to be clever but instead comes across as pretentious to me. Donna's 'meta' confession in particular made me roll my eyes.

More importantly, though, I'm tired of crossovers and mini-series that warp character personalities and abilities to shoehorn them into a story. There is no rational scenario, for example, where Harley Quinn should be able to take on Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman and skip away laughing. She's a normal human being without armor, utility belt, or super powers of any kind, but for this weird mystery story to work, the writer felt she had to so he concocted a ridiculous scene that took me right out of the story.

And that's the problem - when you get a scene like this, it disrupts the flow of the plot and turns it from an interesting mystery into a story where the writer is prepared to pull anything out of a hat in order to make the story work.

I've lost interest, but since my comics are ordered 3 months in advance, I'll see it through.
    Not me.

My comics are ordered two months in advance too, Gael, but people committing to a book they don't really want to see it through is exactly what I think DC banks on.

So - no. I've been caught like that before. I'd rather skip the last three issues, save $23.50 AUD and read a wikipedia synopsis after. Judging by how incredibly thin the content of each issue is I don't think I will be missing much.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Not me.

My comics are ordered two months in advance too, Gael, but people committing to a book they don't really want to see it through is exactly what I think DC banks on.

So - no. I've been caught like that before. I'd rather skip the last three issues, save $23.50 AUD and read a wikipedia synopsis after. Judging by how incredibly thin the content of each issue is I don't think I will be missing much.
    For me, it's a matter of a small LCS that I don't want to stick with the books. The owner is a friend of mine, and I feel that if I order it, I should get it rather than leave him holding the bill.

For me, it's a matter of a small LCS that I don't want to stick with the books. The owner is a friend of mine, and I feel that if I order it, I should get it rather than leave him holding the bill.
    Make up for it by changing your order to something else?

Gaelforce please take this down if you don't think it belongs here, but Professor Bill can explain my feelings without a lot of typing. He's a nice guy I normally agree with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGeqJ1NO7i4&t=
    Last edited by Gaelforce; 01-03-2019 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Replaced video with link

Gaelforce please take this down if you don't think it belongs here, but Professor Bill can explain my feelings without a lot of typing. He's a nice guy I normally agree with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGeqJ1NO7i4&t=
    I switched it from an embedded video to a link to the site. There are copyright issues as well as monetary issues for the youtube channel.
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!