Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Heroes in Crisis #4 spoilers

Once again we play " nerf the lasso".

Brought to the hall of Justice, Booster is bound with the lasso and reveals how he was innocent of the murders, and was attacked by Harley and knocked out.

A few pages later he tells Ted Lord (isn't he dead?) how he can't trust that because it might only be what he BELIEVES happened.

Once again, the lasso is rendered effectively useless in its major power because the writer needs it be for the plot (which is progressing with agonizing slowness)

We also get a splash page with Lois saying six words while she poses in her underwear.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post

Brought to the hall of Justice, Booster is bound with the lasso and reveals how he was innocent of the murders, and was attacked by Harley and knocked out.

A few pages later he tells Ted Lord (isn't he dead?) how he can't trust that because it might only be what he BELIEVES happened.

Once again, the lasso is rendered effectively useless in its major power because the writer needs it be for the plot (which is progressing with agonizing slowness)

We also get a splash page with Lois saying six words while she poses in her underwear.
    Ted Kord was brought back in Final Crisis, he was last seen mentoring Jaime Reyes, I believe.

Heroes in Crisis thus far has been all about being loose with the rules of the verse to the point of unbelievability. Mostly involving Harley Quinn but its absolutely no surprise the lasso gets a nerfing. The whole series has been the Deathstroke scene in Identity Crisis, only throughout all four issues to date.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Pretend to be shocked. DC hates Wonder Woman being useful.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Heroes in Crisis thus far has been all about being loose with the rules of the verse to the point of unbelievability. Mostly involving Harley Quinn but its absolutely no surprise the lasso gets a nerfing. The whole series has been the Deathstroke scene in Identity Crisis, only throughout all four issues to date.
    Pretty much. Batgirl takes down Harley after the whole Trinity fails.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Mostly involving Harley Quinn but its absolutely no surprise the lasso gets a nerfing. The whole series has been the Deathstroke scene in Identity Crisis, only throughout all four issues to date.
    That was exactly the comparison I was thinking of!
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

BANNED

This is the second instance of that happening in a King story, it happened during that double-date with Bruce and Selina in Batman too when she and Selina switched outfits.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 12-31-2018 at 01:54 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    This is the second instance of that happening in a King story, it happened during that double-date with Bruce and Selina in Batman too when she and Selina switched outfits.
    I notice in the Batcave, Clay Mann also takes the opportunity to slip in a shot of Diana’s ass cheeks.

Unless that is not what's happening, and you are overlooking an incredibly obvious possibility.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Unless that is not what's happening, and you are overlooking an incredibly obvious possibility.
    That the plot isn’t as slow as I think?

No, it is.

But if you think I’ve missed something, the polite thing to do would be to explain it. It might be you’re thinking Booster didn’t do it (seems likely) but even in that regard the lasso is not able to be used definitively.

This is the spessence of the problem. I’ve used the argument myself with regard to Max Lords killing, that the subject states what they believe. Fair enough, but the problem here is in how the person is questioned.

Boosters statement, barring some pretty amazing mind control, should be factual. For the lasso to be credible it should cut through things like hyponosis or false memories and get to the underlying facts that the subject has stored in their mind.

Otherwise it’s basically just a really strong shiny rope.
    Last edited by brettc1; 12-31-2018 at 09:48 PM.

That the plot isn’t as slow as I think?

No, it is.

But if you think I’ve missed something, the polite thing to do would be to explain it.
    Politely, there's not really anything to explain.

It's working just fine. The "Obvious" possibility.

Extraordinary Member

Politely, there's not really anything to explain.

It's working just fine. The "Obvious" possibility.
    See above. The lasso working isn’t much use if people aren’t able to base decisions on what it reveals because they think there are loopholes.

See above. The lasso working isn’t much use if people aren’t able to base decisions on what it reveals.
    That's one reader's take.

In this instance, there are obvious holes in the timeline that no amount of "Truth" would divine. It is impossible to "Know" what you were not there for. That's why he doesn't say that Harley murdered anyone.

The lasso is working fine, but it cannot draw a truth out of Booster that he does not know. If you do not "Know", you are going on what you "Believe" is the case.

Pretty simple.

Extraordinary Member

That's one reader's take.

In this instance, there are obvious holes in the timeline that no amount of "Truth" would divine. It is impossible to "Know" what you were not there for. That's why he doesn't say that Harley murdered anyone.

The lasso is working fine, but it cannot draw a truth out of Booster that he does not know. If you do now "Know", you are going on what you "Believe" is the case.

Pretty simple.
    Too simple, in fact.

The problem is not what Booster doesn’t know, it’s that he thinks there are things he doesn’t remember that the lasso hasn’t revealed. He actively questions whether he committed the murders but doesn’t remember.

That should not be an issue. What’s more, Booster tells Beetle that Wonder Woman TOLD HIM that maybe he just believes his innocence. Again, this is nerfing the lasso. It’s not like Max Lord giving an opinion about what WILL happen because of how great he thinks his his mind control is. If Booster saw what DID happen he would know it. If he doesn’t remember it can only be because he wasn’t responsible, and Diana should certainly not be saying otherwise.
    Last edited by brettc1; 12-31-2018 at 10:04 PM.

Matter of fact, let's just go "Simplest Terms Possible..."

- Booster says he didn't murder anyone with the Lasso on.
    - The only other survivor(far as Booster knows) has said she didn't kill anyone.
    - Has the reader seen that person deny being the murderer with the lasso on?

Once you know even two out of those three, there is no reason to just accept that there could be more to it.