Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    I didn't know a lot about the power of the Lasso.

In Heroes in Crisis 4, the lasso seems to have the ability to make a person tell the truth. However, the mind of Booster Gold is chaotic, so his truth is unreliable.

Would the Lasso of Truth work different in the past?
    Exactly.

It has never been something that gives Wonder Woman some "Third Person" view of the objective "Truth". All it can do is stop Booster from lying to them or hiding his intentions.

In that context, I could be convinced to buy it. Sadly though there's another issue here, and that's that I can't buy Booster's mind being chaotic. That was so pulled out of King's ass. Booster goes from not only being fine, but being the voice of reason to a time traveling Superman, to a few months later being nearly insane in Batman for absolutely no established reason.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Even Diana is pointing out that the story doesn't fit.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Exactly.

It has never been something that gives Wonder Woman some "Third Person" view of the objective "Truth". All it can do is stop Booster from lying to them or hiding his intentions.
    Except, even if you’re not lying you might not be telling the factual truth.

In other words, the lasso is useless. It can’t prove that your guilty, and it can’t prove that your innocent. According to the way King writes Wonder Woman in this issue, it can’t even prove that what Booster said he saw is reliable as fact.

So basically, there’s no point to even using it.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Except, even if your not lying you might not be telling the factual truth.

In other words, the lasso is useless. It can’t prove that your guilty, and it can’t prove that your innocent. According to the way King written Wonder Woman in this issue, it can’t even prove that what Booster said he saw is reliable as fact.

So basically, there’s no point to even using it.
    None of this is "Nerfing" it.

It is simply pointing out the realistic limit that it has always had.

BANNED

It never had that limit before. It always was the weapon that finds the truth no matter what.

Extraordinary Member

All you’re saying here is that it’s ALWAYS been pointless except for tying people up.

Which we know isn’t the case. If Boostets mind has convinced itself he didn’t do it, then that’s a lie that overlays a truth that he is aware of and simply denies. Actual hypotherapy can help retrieve repressed memories, and the lasso is supposed be and instrument of godly power. There is no way he could have consciously done it and the lasso not reveal it.

But this was always going to be a problem in a murder mystery with Wonder Woman investigating.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by starlight25 View Post
    It never had that limit before. It always was the weapon that finds the truth no matter what.
    Third person objective "Truth"?

All you’re saying here is that it’s ALWAYS been pointless except for tying people up.

Which we know isn’t the case. If Boostets mind has convinced itself he didn’t do it, then that’s a lie that overlays a truth that he is aware of and simply denies. Actual hypotherapy can help retrieve repressed memories, and the lasso is supposed be and instrument of godly power. There is no way he could have consciously done it and the lasso not reveal it.

But this was always going to be a problem in a murder mystery with Wonder Woman investigating.
    Again, you are avoiding the obvious to create some fanciful scenario which might not be the case.

Extraordinary Member

You don’t need it. You only need the facts of their own objective experience.

You don’t need it. You only need the facts of their own objective experience.
    Which are potentially useless in this scenario.

Extraordinary Member

Again, you are avoiding the obvious to create some fanciful scenario which might not be the case.
    I disagree. You are basing your argument on a flawed premise regarding how the lasso affects people. You might as well be telling me Superman can use his heat vision on water to freeze it.

BANNED

The facts of the objective experience lived by the people being held by the lasso. The lasso never failed at that before. And now in this issue it seems to fail there.

Extraordinary Member

Which are potentially useless in this scenario.
    Shouldn’t be if the lasso verifies them. A skilled operator with a mundane lie detector could sift the information, but Diana clearly dorsnt know how to use her own gear effectively.

I disagree. You are basing your argument on a flawed premise regarding how the lasso affects people. You might as well be telling me Superman can use his heat vision on water to freeze it.
    Wrong.

You are basing what you are saying on the assertion that Booster has done something and is not telling the truth about it by some means.

The "Obvious" is that he did not, and is telling something close to his "Objective" truth.