Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Did George Perez help or hinder the WW mythos?..

I was looking back on George Perez’ run on WW and I have to say, I feel like he subtracted a lot from WW lore and simplified and complicated things at the same time. He’s the one who pretty much solidified the whole ‘blessings’ things with the Amazons, made them more primitive, aged up Steve and Etta and didn’t do much with them beyond that, etc. I know WW needed “updating” at that time but I think she also needs an update now. What do you guys think?

He did both. Cheetah was amazing but the Amazons did get harmed with that. He thought Diana could do without a relationship. He did however, give us great characters. So he did hinder some of her mythos but did also great things with given her news characters and some other great villains.

Perez was a shot in the arm for WW similar to Byrne for Supes or Miller for Bats, but the franchises have moved on past those interpretations in the case of Supes and Bats. Just like how Supes eventually got a bunch of Pre-Crisis material returned to him, I don’t see the problem with more Pre-Crisis Wondy stuff returning. At least bring the kangaroos back.

I'm about 60/40 in favor of helped over hindered.

Diana finally reached levels of power that were her birthright and the natural progression of her character as the most important superheroine in all of comicdom and the mythology elements were so epic that it was exciting. The reinterpretations Doctor Psycho and Cheetah and Circe were the best and most horrific they've ever been.

Unfortunately, it came at the cost of drastically stunting her love, romantic, and sex life and in some ways the start of avoiding most of her villains who were not mythologically based. (Not letting the Amazons be technologically advanced, scientists, etc., limited the genres she could operate in until much later in her Post-Crisis run too. It was way too narrow.)

Another con is that it changed her history and prominence in the founding of the Justice League... although I don't blame him for that. DC made some mistakes in not letting her initial stories, or something like Hawkworld, be Year One, Two, or Three story arcs for those characters.

Of course hindsight is 20/20. I loved the stories at the time and felt it was a breath of fresh air for the Amazing Amazon.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

As is the case with these reboots, he gave her some short term help that contributed to some long term problems. There is little doubt that his run was the shot in the arm she needed at the time, because her property had been mostly terrible since Marston's death and he saved us from some far worse proposals (like the infamous "she gets raped in Man's World" one). He wrote some good stories and some great stories, along with some "meh" ones. He invented a lot of new Amazon faces, Philippus especially was a great contribution. His Man's World cast was ok too, and ditching the Diana Prince identity was a good idea, as was giving her full blown Superman-style flight.

The problem? A lot of these things could have been done without rebooting continuity and messing up her history. She could have just decided to not hide behind a fake ID anymore. They could have advanced the Diana/Steve romance in a new direction like the Super books were doing with Lois and Clark, or they could have had her move on from the relationship. The new characters like the Kapatelis women, Ed Indelicato and Myndi could have lived in Washington D.C just as easily as Boston, it's not as if the latter location was in any way important. It's always easy to introduce new Amazon characters and revamp villains within the confines of an existing continuity. And while some may view her getting flight right out of the gate as a long overdue improvement, the Amazons technological advancements went away because the Invisible Plane was exiled from canon. YMMV, but I don't think that trade off was worth it. Better to give her flight after years of using the plane. And of course, Perez being unable to set his origin revamp in the past ROYALLY screwed up the JL's history with her as a founder and Donna's origin. Wonder Woman should not be a rookie emerging on the scene only when Batman is already on his second Robin and Barry Allen is dead.

Much like similar complaints with Byrne on Superman, I wish Perez had been brought in to do his overhaul of the mythos without rebooting the history. A lot of dead weight was lost, but so was most of the good stuff, even if we're just talking about Donna. It cannot be denied that his run is one of the major runs of the character and a fan favorite, but IMO it's also hard to deny that it contributed to her inconsistency problems. He pretty much ditched almost as much as Azzarello did: Hippolyta is the only constant supporting character in both reboots, Steve and Etta may as well have been new characters, her new cast was otherwise completely new and different, and some new characters got the names some old villains used. His individual changes are obviously not as noteworthy as the Zeus daddy reveal and the sex pirate Amazons, but they are still drastic compared to what came before.

In my opinion he did the best version of the Wonder Woman mythos - overall. He really put a lot of thought into the Amazons and why they were there. He understood the value of the intrinsically female-centric nature of Diana''s narrative - the origin, the relationships, everything else that stood out in contrast to the mainly male-centric focus of most mainstream superhero comics - and he incorporated it well, but without the overly pedantic "women are superior to men!" attitude of Marston in the original.

(There's a difference between saying "this story is going to be primarily about women because we have so few examples of such stories" and "this story is going to be about women because we want to show that women are better than men." He went with the former and did it well.)

As I've mentioned, I am not a power-monger when it comes to finding favorite characters, so it didn't bother me that the Amazons were not technologically advanced, and that the average Amazon wasn't near-Diana-level in power. I felt they were advanced over Man's World in some other areas, such as having access to some magic, and having a focus on both self-improvement and community that, over centuries, created a strong, thoughtful, supportive culture for themselves. (I like it when "hidden societies" are better in some ways and not better in others.) And I liked the relationship between the Amazons and their patron deities.

I also thought it was all very well-written and very well-drawn.

But I did say "overall." Things I did not like:

- Wonder Woman coming to Man's World and starting her career as a superhero years after Superman, Batman, the JLA, and the Teen Titans had been around. (Personally, I do not think this was Perez's decision, but I don't know the actual details.) It made her seem younger and less experienced than them, which I do not think serves her character and her place in the world. It meant she wasn't a founding member of the JLA; I like Black Canary quite a bit, but I thought the switch read like "hey, any two female characters are interchangeable."

And, of course, it completely blew Donna Troy's origin (such as it was), and her relationship with Diana, Hippolyta, and the Amazons, out of the water. This didn't happen to any of the other (male) Original Five Teen Titans. Donna was, in some ways, already running behind the other four, because she didn't have a decades-long publication history as a teenage hero in Man's World (or an actual on-page history with her mentor, Wonder Woman) that the others did. Instead of taking the opportunity of Crisis on Infinite Earths to solidify Donna's history, the completely changed it in a way that moved her further from the Wonder Woman mythos, and she has never recovered. I don't think this has been good for anyone.

- He aged Steve Trevor and Etta Candy and married them to each other. This completely changed the nature of her supporting cast. This opened up the way for new ideas, of course, but nothing has ever really stuck. When was the last time we saw Julia Kapatellis or Trevor Barnes? I think keeping Steve and Etta more the way that they had been, and then building on that with some new ideas, would have been a better way to go.

But in general? My favorite version of the Wonder Woman mythos, and one that could have been built on in much better ways than it was.

But that's just me.
    Last edited by Doctor Bifrost; 12-30-2018 at 07:55 PM.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Extraordinary Member

Helped. Definitely.

According to Comichron ( http://blog.comichron.com/2017/06/th...of-wonder.html ) his first year on the book had average sales of almost 120, 000 copies per month.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Helped. Definitely.

According to Comichron ( http://blog.comichron.com/2017/06/th...of-wonder.html ) his first year on the book had average sales of almost 120, 000 copies per month.
    End of thread right there. Ha!

Doctor Bifrost and SiegePerilous02 have already summed up a lot of my own thinking here, but in a lot of ways the issue was not so much with Pérez as with those who came after. (Granted, the way Pérez handled Steve Trevor and Etta Candy made it rather hard to retcon.) You could still do space and science adventures with Wonder Woman's revamped origin, and work in some of the older elements worth keeping (like how Wilson set out to regain Diana's connection with Themyscira).

Instead we got Messner-Loebs and Byrne.

I'd say helped. Most of the issues are either inconsequential (lack of secret identity, Steve and Etta dating) or weren't the fault of Perez himself (Donna's continuity).

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    In my opinion he did the best version of the Wonder Woman mythos - overall. He really put a lot of thought into the Amazons and why they were there. He understood the value of the intrinsically female-centric nature of Diana''s narrative - the origin, the relationships, everything else that stood out in contrast to the mainly male-centric focus of most mainstream superhero comics - and he incorporated it well, but without the overly pedantic "women are superior to men!" attitude of Marston in the original.

(There's a difference between saying "this story is going to be primarily about women because we have so few examples of such stories" and "this story is going to be about women because we want to show that women are better than men." He went with the former and did it well.)

As I've mentioned, I am not a power-monger when it comes to finding favorite characters, so it didn't bother me that the Amazons were not technologically advanced, and that the average Amazon wasn't near-Diana-level in power. I felt they were advanced over Man's World in some other areas, such as having access to some magic, and having a focus on both self-improvement and community that, over centuries, created a strong, thoughtful, supportive culture for themselves. (I like it when "hidden societies" are better in some ways and not better in others.) And I liked the relationship between the Amazons and their patron deities.

I also thought it was all very well-written and very well-drawn.

But I did say "overall." Things I did not like:

- Wonder Woman coming to Man's World and starting her career as a superhero years after Superman, Batman, the JLA, and the Teen Titans had been around. (Personally, I do not think this was Perez's decision, but I don't know the actual details.) It made her seem younger and less experienced than them, which I do not think serves her character and her place in the world. It meant she wasn't a founding member of the JLA; I like Black Canary quite a bit, but I thought the switch read like "hey, any two female characters are interchangeable."

And, of course, it completely blew Donna Troy's origin (such as it was), and her relationship with Diana, Hippolyta, and the Amazons, out of the water. This didn't happen to any of the other (male) Original Five Teen Titans. Donna was, in some ways, already running behind the other four, because she didn't have a decades-long publication history as a teenage hero in Man's World (or an actual on-page history with her mentor, Wonder Woman) that the others did. Instead of taking the opportunity of Crisis on Infinite Earths to solidify Donna's history, the completely changed it in a way that moved her further from the Wonder Woman mythos, and she has never recovered. I don't think this has been good for anyone.

- He aged Steve Trevor and Etta Candy and married them to each other. This completely changed the nature of her supporting cast. This opened up the way for new ideas, of course, but nothing has ever really stuck. When was the last time we saw Julia Kapatellis or Trevor Barnes? I think keeping Steve and Etta more the way that they had been, and then building on that with some new ideas, would have been a better way to go.

But in general? My favorite version of the Wonder Woman mythos, and one that could have been built on in much better ways than it was.

But that's just me.
    Excellent assessment and definitely reflects my thoughts as well.

I don't remember all the details. But I was never really interested in WW as a character before Perez. I loved that he made her mission explicit, even having her speaking before the U.N.
    Power with Girl is better.