Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dial H for Hero Appreciation 2019

Considering how quickly appreciation threads were created for the New Age of Heroes books ...some before they were even released, I thought I'd do the same and create a thread for the last 2 comics that are in the Wonder Comics imprint line that still didn't have a thread.

Screenshot_20181230-213217.jpg

DIAL H FOR HERO #1
    written by SAM HUMPHRIES
    art and cover by JOE QUINONES
    variant cover by NICK DERINGTON
    Miguel, a teen daredevil, becomes the newest wielder of the Hero Dial—a rotary phone-like device that grants the user superpowers for one hour when they dial H-E-R-O. Will he rise as a new hero in the DC Universe or crumble under the weight of responsibility the dial thrusts upon him? This blistering new six-issue miniseries joins the Wonder Comics lineup with
    stories by award-winning fan favorite Sam Humphries (HARLEY QUINN) and art by Joe Quinones (Howard the Duck).
    ON SALE 03.27.19
    $3.99 US | 1 of 6 | 32 PAGES
    FC | RATED T
    This issue will ship with two covers.
    Please see the order form for details.
    Includes a code for a free digital download of this issue.

Screenshot_20181230-220840.jpg

Source for tweet and pics.

Screenshot_20181230-221743.jpg

Source

Are you limiting this to just the new Wonder Comics imprint series, or are you also embracing the previous runs of "Dial H"?

Astonishing Member

Looking forward to this. I'm kinda bummed this (and The Wonder Twins) will only be just a mini. Even with what little we know, I'm quite endeared by Miguel's character. I want to see what he'll do with the Dial's power. And I don't want the Dial concept to be limbo-ed a mere 6 months after being reintroduced.

Someone mentioned that he'll be taking the Dial to Superman because that's the first thing that he thinks to do with it. It makes some sense, and it at least it isn't Batman again, but I kinda wish it didn't feel like such a default choice or action. Still, it looks like it'll be fun, one way or the other!

Superman and Batman do seem like obvious default choices, but I do like how a previous Dial H holder will also be a part of this and maybe in the end the Dial will stay with them ...if they're not evil or anything lile that now.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Are you limiting this to just the new Wonder Comics imprint series, or are you also embracing the previous runs of "Dial H"?
    Well since no one made a thread even when the Wonder Comics imprint was announced to talk about past and future incarnations like it was done with the Wonder Twins thread, I thought nobody cared enough about the past incarnations.

But if people want to talk about all things past, present, and future about Dial H, they can do that here.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 12-31-2018 at 03:47 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Superman and Batman do seem like obvious default choices, but I do like how a previous Dial H holder will also be a part of this and maybe in the end the Dial will stay with them ...if they're not evil or anything lile that now.
    Woah, I hadn't realized a previous Dial-H holder would be apart of this new series. If so, I hope it will be the most recent one from the New 52 series, since that would make for some sweet acknowledgement.

Also, it'd be a big shocking swerve if Miguel turned out evil, so I doubt it. Everything we know and can see of him indicates he's a daredevil teen with a heart of gold. After all, getting the Dial to Superman appears to be his first inclination upon realizing its power (hope he still gets to keep it once his journey to Supes ends, though). While circumstances could change or evolve, I'd say that alone is enough to warrant Miguel's good heart.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Glad you posted this i forgot the book was coming out. Enjoyed the last run. I noticed Krarion was in a recent issue of Suicide Squad Black, where he mentions a magic wheel called a hero dial.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Woah, I hadn't realized a previous Dial-H holder would be apart of this new series. If so, I hope it will be the most recent one from the New 52 series, since that would make for some sweet acknowledgement.

Also, it'd be a big shocking swerve if Miguel turned out evil, so I doubt it. Everything we know and can see of him indicates he's a daredevil teen with a heart of gold. After all, getting the Dial to Superman appears to be his first inclination upon realizing its power (hope he still gets to keep it once his journey to Supes ends, though). While circumstances could change or evolve, I'd say that alone is enough to warrant Miguel's good heart.
    No I meant the previous Dial H holder could instead keep the Dial H for safe keeping if they're not evil ...not that Miguel is possibly evil.

I was thinking that maybe Superman would think it's best if someone who has knowledge and experience using the Dial H be the one in charge overseeing it's safe keeping and since the previous holder is gonna pop up in the series it would be who ever that was but maybe the previous holder is evil now ...and of course that was all speculation.

I'm gonna try to see if I can find the article where it mentions the dial h previous holder being a part of the series.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Ok so here's a liveblog of Bendis talking about the Wonder Comics books and for Dial H for Hero he mentioned a Robby surprise.

Now, this is just a guess but when the character designs for this book came out, I automatically assumed the older gentleman was Robby Reed.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Astonishing Member

Ok so here's a liveblog of Bendis talking about the Wonder Comics books and for Dial H for Hero he mentioned a Robby surprise.

Now, this is just a guess but when the character designs for this book came out, I automatically assumed the older gentleman was Robby Reed.
    I'm not as up to date with my Dial-H as I'd liked to be. Which wielder was he again?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Don't forget this one from 2003:

153978.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    I'm not as up to date with my Dial-H as I'd liked to be. Which wielder was he again?
    The original one I believe.

Astonishing Member

The original one I believe.
    Ah, okay. Makes sense, given the nostalgia angle of the entire line, though I still'd like some acknowledgement of the New 52 series within this one.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I first found out about Dial H in New 52.

DIG056637_2._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

My first reaction was... this is so random, who is this for? The character design isn't appealing for young people, so I guessed it was for the older crowd. It turned out to be really good, apparently, but I didn't pick it up because there's already so many to follow.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

'the New 52' series was terrific, and that's what I'd like to see. This newest incarnation, not so much... at least, not yet.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet