Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 286
  1. #1
    Mighty Member kurenai24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Essex, MD
    Posts
    1,932

    Default Naomi Appreciation 2019

    Considering how quickly appreciation threads were created for the New Age of Heroes books ...some before they were even released, I thought I'd do the same and create a thread for the last 2 comics that are in the Wonder Comics imprint line that still didn't have a thread.

    Screenshot_20181230-214408.jpg

    NAOMI #1
    written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS and DAVID F. WALKER
    art and cover by JAMAL CAMPBELL
    variant cover by TBD
    DC’s biggest, newest mystery starts here!
    When a fight between Superman and Mongul crashes into a small Northwestern town, Naomi (last name?) begins a quest to uncover the last time a super-powered person visited her home—and how that might tie into her own origins and adoption.
    Follow Naomi’s journey on a quest that will take her to the heart of the DC Universe and unfold a universe of ideas and stories that have never been seen before. Join writers Brian Michael Bendis, David Walker and breakout artist Jamal Campbell in Wonder Comics’ massively ambitious new series and star...NAOMI.
    ON SALE 01.23.19
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
    FC | RATED T+
    This issue will ship with two covers.
    Please see the order form for details.
    Includes a code for a free digital download of this issue.

    Screenshot_20181230-215416.jpg

    NAOMI #2
    written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS and DAVID F. WALKER
    art and cover by JAMAL CAMPBELL
    The most startling and intriguing mystery in the DC Universe continues as Naomi searches to uncover the secrets of her own origin. What do her small town’s oversized mechanic and the last time a super-powered person appeared in her hometown have to do with the day she was adopted? Big emotions, new characters and a last page cliffhanger that can’t be missed lead off this issue drawn by breakout sensation Jamal Campbell. Don’t miss your chance to meet the most exciting new character in the DC Universe!
    ON SALE 02.20.19
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
    FC | RATED T+

    Screenshot_20181230-215818.jpg

    NAOMI #3
    written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS and DAVID F. WALKER
    art and cover by JAMAL CAMPBELL
    A brand-new character in the DC Universe comes into focus as Naomi confronts the one person in her small town she is convinced knows the secret of her mysterious adoption and her obsession with Superman. The truth is going to change both her and the DC Universe forever. The secret of Naomi opens the door to an enormous reveal you will not want to miss. This exciting new mystery from the powerhouse creative team of writers Brian Michael Bendis (Jessica Jones, Spider-Man) and David F. Walker (Shaft, Cyborg) and new, amazing art talent Jamal Campbell.
    ON SALE 03.20.19
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
    FC | RATED T+

  2. #2
    Mighty Member kurenai24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Essex, MD
    Posts
    1,932

  3. #3

  4. #4
    Mighty Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Underneath the Brooklyn Bridge
    Posts
    1,178

    Default

    What is the selling point for this character? Based on the solicitations, all I get from her is that she is somehow, vaguely important. Not enough information to go on. I will probably pick up all of the titles under the Wonder Comics label, at least for the first two issues. Young Justice has the return of the nineties sidekicks as a focused collective again. Wonder Twins has the talented writing of Mark Russell. Dial H For Hero has the stunning art of Joe Quinones. What is the appeal of this character?
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 12-30-2018 at 10:24 PM.

  5. #5
    Mighty Member kurenai24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Essex, MD
    Posts
    1,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    What is the selling point for this character? Based on the solicitations, all I get from her is that she is somehow, vaguely important. Not enough information to go on. I will probably pick up all of the titles under the Wonder Comics label, at least for the first two issues. Young Justice has the return of the nineties sidekicks as a focused collective again. Wonder Twins has the talented writing of Mark Russell. Dial H For Hero has the stunning art of Joe Quinones. What is the appeal of this character?
    First I want to reiterate that this is an appreciation thread, I say this b/c I know what these types questions can start unleashing when everybody else wants to put their 2 cents in, that and the fact that this question (that could also be interpreted as why does this character exist) could have easily been stated in the Wonder Comics thread, but if this is a genuine question, ignore the hint of snarkiness.

    2. You're asking 2 things, the selling point and the appeal which do have a bit of crossover.

    You're saying Mark Russel being a writer for Wonder Twins and Joe Quinones being on art for Dial H for Hero are the selling point/appeal, but what does that have to do with the characters who star in those books; what is their appeal ...nolstagia?

    And if an artist and a writer can be the selling point/appeal for those books why can't that be the case for Naomi's book...

    3. The selling point/appeal of the character is that her adoption is tied into a secret of the dc universe that we've never seen. You're right there's not much to go on outside of that ...and we don't even know if she'll have abilities or just be a human or what her book will be about after her adoption storyline is revealed (although I remember Bendis hinting at something in the summer of 2019), the character's storyline supposedly revealing something new about the DC Universe is still an appeal to get people who maybe resistance to this book otherwise.

    4. I want to bring back my point in number 2 about how Naomi's creative team can be the selling point/appeal for the character. Bendis has created some mainstays at Marvel ...Jessica Jones, Maria Hill, Daisy Johnson/Quake, Miles Morales etc and whether you believe Bendis has pull or not, I think even the people who believe that new characters will eventually go straight into limbo have to take a pause and consider that maybe it wouldn't be a waste of time to invest in this new character. And whether you like Bendis or not, a writer is typically good at handling their own original characters than established ones so less chances for fans to blow a gasket there.

    5. This popped into my head some time ago but ignoring how the less astute people will say that Bendis is continuing his Ironheart run with Naomi, I think Naomi may be similar to Jessica Jones and her book (obviously without all the baggage and adult themes), I think this book will catch the eye of people who like mysteries and sleuthing, who like teen books, who like diveristy etc. The appeal/selling point is there ...is it enough for some people who knows.

    These are my observations and guesses tho, since Bendis said we'll be seeing things about Young Justice and Naomi after the holidays, I hope that means interviews that kind of talk about the book and the direction of it are coming out.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 12-31-2018 at 01:11 AM.

  6. #6
    Astonishing Member Korath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Toulouse, France
    Posts
    2,476

    Default

    I'm extremelly pumped up for Naomi. Since Rebirth, at the very least, I've found DC able to push really new interesting characters or revamp older concepts with great spins : Kong Kenan and the JLC, Bizarro and Artemis in RHatO, Duke Thomas, the NAOH books... The follow up may be weak, but for me it isn't a reason to not support new characters, especyalli those, like Naomi, which seems set to explore new or forgotten corners of the DCU without resorting only to nostalgia (hence why the Young Justice Comics isn't interesting me : I'm too afraid it'll be like the 90's one, where the humour was so characteristically US-based back then that I never managed to connect with the characters - quite the contrary, my attempt to read this series soured me on Tim Drake, Connor Kent and Bart Allen).

    Naomi's main selling point, to me, seems to be the exploration of very mundane questions (what does an adoptee kid feels, the search for his or her biological parents, etc.), but with a spin : Naomi may be tied to something huge in the DCU. How does one reconcile a mundane early life with such a sudden revelation, when one isn't a décades old character and thus free to evolve in bold new ways (I'm looking at you, Superman, who fits most of the same basic tropes as Naomi, apparently) ?

  7. #7
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,849

    Default

    This seems to be the only other Wonder Comics ongoing right now, other than Young Justice.

    I'm curious about this book. I think the mystery is part of the selling point. Naomi has questions about her past and her heritage, and her journey will be uncovering these mysteries. As she uncovers them, the reader does also.

  8. #8
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I'm extremelly pumped up for Naomi. Since Rebirth, at the very least, I've found DC able to push really new interesting characters or revamp older concepts with great spins : Kong Kenan and the JLC, Bizarro and Artemis in RHatO, Duke Thomas, the NAOH books... The follow up may be weak, but for me it isn't a reason to not support new characters, especyalli those, like Naomi, which seems set to explore new or forgotten corners of the DCU without resorting only to nostalgia (hence why the Young Justice Comics isn't interesting me : I'm too afraid it'll be like the 90's one, where the humour was so characteristically US-based back then that I never managed to connect with the characters - quite the contrary, my attempt to read this series soured me on Tim Drake, Connor Kent and Bart Allen).
    I appreciate the different perspective from a French comics fan reading US comics. It's always nice to hear informed opinions from an audience who wouldn't be considered a "typical" reader but who still enjoys the reading (most of the time) enough to stick around.

    If possible, would you elaborate on the style of humor that ended up being a turn-off and souring point for you with the OG Young Justice? (Part of me thinks I might understand what you mean, but I'd like to hear it from you in your words to fully understand and make sure.)

  9. #9
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7,732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Naomi's main selling point, to me, seems to be the exploration of very mundane questions (what does an adoptee kid feels, the search for his or her biological parents, etc.), but with a spin : Naomi may be tied to something huge in the DCU. How does one reconcile a mundane early life with such a sudden revelation, when one isn't a décades old character and thus free to evolve in bold new ways (I'm looking at you, Superman, who fits most of the same basic tropes as Naomi, apparently) ?
    Well if we were to read between the lines-looking at a certain show on SYfy & Supermen of other Earths-it's obvious who she might be linked to.

    If we are sticking to Superman family ONLY-she's linked to either Cliff Ellis or Val-Zod or someone from Krypton series. Meaning who ELSE came to Earth beside Superman & Supergirl. And how EARLY did they show up?
    If she has no powers-that would show that blood line got thinner over time or takes longer to start up in a person.

    If not Superman-who else? There are black Amazons-whose to say none of them left for man's world?

    John Stewart? Since Johns wiped out his family.

    XS from Flash? Steel? He did have a lot of family in his old book. We haven't seen his nephew and one was taken by villains before Priest took over.

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member Korath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Toulouse, France
    Posts
    2,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    I appreciate the different perspective from a French comics fan reading US comics. It's always nice to hear informed opinions from an audience who wouldn't be considered a "typical" reader but who still enjoys the reading (most of the time) enough to stick around.

    If possible, would you elaborate on the style of humor that ended up being a turn-off and souring point for you with the OG Young Justice? (Part of me thinks I might understand what you mean, but I'd like to hear it from you in your words to fully understand and make sure.)
    I'll try to do it today, but right now it's 2019 here and I'm kind of drunk already so I'm afraid it wouldn't be that coherent
    Happy New Year CBR !

  11. #11
    Mighty Member kurenai24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Essex, MD
    Posts
    1,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I'm extremelly pumped up for Naomi. Since Rebirth, at the very least, I've found DC able to push really new interesting characters or revamp older concepts with great spins : Kong Kenan and the JLC, Bizarro and Artemis in RHatO, Duke Thomas, the NAOH books... The follow up may be weak, but for me it isn't a reason to not support new characters, especyalli those, like Naomi, which seems set to explore new or forgotten corners of the DCU without resorting only to nostalgia (hence why the Young Justice Comics isn't interesting me : I'm too afraid it'll be like the 90's one, where the humour was so characteristically US-based back then that I never managed to connect with the characters - quite the contrary, my attempt to read this series soured me on Tim Drake, Connor Kent and Bart Allen).

    Naomi's main selling point, to me, seems to be the exploration of very mundane questions (what does an adoptee kid feels, the search for his or her biological parents, etc.), but with a spin : Naomi may be tied to something huge in the DCU. How does one reconcile a mundane early life with such a sudden revelation, when one isn't a décades old character and thus free to evolve in bold new ways (I'm looking at you, Superman, who fits most of the same basic tropes as Naomi, apparently) ?
    That would be vice versa, Naomi possibly fits the same basic tropes as Superman since he's existed longer lol, but that brings up a question. How much do the civilians of the dc universe know about Superman ...do they at the very least know that Superman was raised on earth then I guess Naomi must have found something that makes her think her situation is similar to Superman's. And outside of that, something that readers will only see is how similar Naomi may be to Superman in that they both love their adoptive parents and yet still want to know about where they came from and their biological parents ...I'm assuming in all his years of existence Superman has felt that way.

    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Well if we were to read between the lines-looking at a certain show on SYfy & Supermen of other Earths-it's obvious who she might be linked to.

    If we are sticking to Superman family ONLY-she's linked to either Cliff Ellis or Val-Zod or someone from Krypton series. Meaning who ELSE came to Earth beside Superman & Supergirl. And how EARLY did they show up?
    If she has no powers-that would show that blood line got thinner over time or takes longer to start up in a person.

    If not Superman-who else? There are black Amazons-whose to say none of them left for man's world?

    John Stewart? Since Johns wiped out his family.

    XS from Flash? Steel? He did have a lot of family in his old book. We haven't seen his nephew and one was taken by villains before Priest took over.
    I don't think I like the idea of her being related Superman or connected to his mythos, for one thing the superman family doesn't interact with each other as much as I'd like, second, I don't want to see more Bendis hate or Naomi hate for that matter, and last I don't think her being connected to Superman in any way opens up something new in the dc unverse.

    I also don't think she's connected to the Flash, John Stewart, or Steel or is related to any Amazons.

    I do think there is a possibility that's she's an alien, for 3 issue covers that don't show much they all have space and stars in them as if to say she's not of this world.

    And 2 of those covers have red strings which made me think of the red string of fate, and even though in the first cover issue all she's doing is essentially connecting the dots, it' showing constellations as stars and with a space background.

    So many questions tbh...
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

    ~~

    Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.


    ~~

    Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

  12. #12
    Astonishing Member Korath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Toulouse, France
    Posts
    2,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    That would be vice versa, Naomi possibly fits the same basic tropes as Superman since he's existed longer lol, but that brings up a question. How much do the civilians of the dc universe know about Superman ...do they at the very least know that Superman was raised on earth then I guess Naomi must have found something that makes her think her situation is similar to Superman's. And outside of that, something that readers will only see is how similar Naomi may be to Superman in that they both love their adoptive parents and yet still want to know about where they came from and their biological parents ...I'm assuming in all his years of existence Superman has felt that way.



    I don't think I like the idea of her being related Superman or connected to his mythos, for one thing the superman family doesn't interact with each other as much as I'd like, second, I don't want to see more Bendis hate or Naomi hate for that matter, and last I don't think her being connected to Superman in any way opens up something new in the dc unverse.
    Okay so, I'm incredibly drunk (more than ever before in my life) but I want to expand on why Naomi speaks to me.

    I'm White and French by birth, but I'm half-spaniard and half briton (from britany) and I've felt for some years this urge to reconnect with those parts of my background. But in France, it isn't how it's work.

    We are supposed to be blind to religious and ethnic backgrounds. It isn't the case, of course, but as a white half-foreign youth, I can't help but roots for those comics characters who tries to find their place in spite of the obstacles put by life un their pace. And I think it's why I love Duke Thomas, Cassandra Cain or Naomi :

    They seek their place in the world but don't fit in neat boxes.

    Feel free to disregard this post as the rambling of a drunk 27 y.o. kid, but that's really how I feel about them.

    As for the sobering me in a few hours : don't edit this post, because you are frank with your self for once !

  13. #13
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7,732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    I don't think I like the idea of her being related Superman or connected to his mythos, for one thing the superman family doesn't interact with each other as much as I'd like, second, I don't want to see more Bendis hate or Naomi hate for that matter, and last I don't think her being connected to Superman in any way opens up something new in the dc unverse.

    I also don't think she's connected to the Flash, John Stewart, or Steel or is related to any Amazons.

    I do think there is a possibility that's she's an alien, for 3 issue covers that don't show much they all have space and stars in them as if to say she's not of this world.

    And 2 of those covers have red strings which made me think of the red string of fate, and even though in the first cover issue all she's doing is essentially connecting the dots, it' showing constellations as stars and with a space background.

    So many questions tbh...
    She can be connected and still open doors.

    If she is linked to Kryton and have no powers-that opens doors because how does that happen?

    The line of villains (& Batman) trying to find out how she is powerless could get you a LONG running series because everyone wants to know if it can be used to take out Superman.

    If she does a new power that the others don't like Miles Morales-more doors open.

    Heck for all we know she might be linked to Hotspot and his Titans as they were part alien too and they first appeared in a Superman book.

  14. #14
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I'll try to do it today, but right now it's 2019 here and I'm kind of drunk already so I'm afraid it wouldn't be that coherent
    Happy New Year CBR !
    Eeep! And also Happy New Year to you, too!

    I'll wait for when your ready about my question. You be safe, okay.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 01-01-2019 at 01:17 AM.

  15. #15
    Astonishing Member Korath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Toulouse, France
    Posts
    2,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Eeep! And also Happy New Year to you, too!

    I'll wait for when your ready about my question. You be safe, okay.
    Don't worry, I'm fine

    Concerning Young Justice original comics, to me it was simply too American. To give a little context, here's how most French people my generation grew up with this vision of what the average American is :



    Basically, kind of unrefined, brutes who only care about themselves. Plus, I grew up under Bush, basically, who was seen as an absolutely terrible president over here, believed to be dumber than a sack of bricks.


    And, well, I really felt that the 1998 YJ comics was the epitome of this representation, be it with the art style, the tone, the personalities of the characters...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •