Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Which is honestly a model I endorse. I think it may be the way to generate and sustain hype for a new character in the long run, or even revitalize older and lesser known characters. Think about how the NAoH books could have fared with the artists had been able to do a six-issue arc, thing though toward the next one, and returned ?
    Yeah, I'm a big proponent of that model. I totally agree it's a far better way to keep new and lesser known characters books sustainable. There are so many characters that will never really sustain a solo book, particularly in this market, but would have no problem with a six or so issue series every year or so. It seems to be the model for all the Wonder Comics books with the exception of Young Justice. I hope it is successful and expands across the line. Fits with DC's effort to streamline their line as well.
    And it is especially important for a book like Naomi where the book is really starting to generate a lot of buzz and it's pretty clear that this team is really meshing well together and that's a massive part if its success.

Actually, not to get too far off topic, but I think Marvel's new model for like Jessica Jones is great too. A double sized digital issue for three months. Followed by a trade collection and a hiatus then repeating that.

So we've seen Naomi in costume just by the covers of issue #5 and issue #6, so she's gonna do the superhero thing either way, but she's either an alien or she's not, she either has abilities or she doesn't...

I wonder what Bendis is gonna choose after revealing what he did in issue #3, I'm also wondering how these reveals coincide with that image Naomi has when she close her eyes in issue 2...

I hope this was vague enough where I didn't need spoiler tags ...someone let me know.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 03-22-2019 at 03:40 PM.

I can see her suit being alien tech from her adoptive father, but that she doesn't actually have powers without it. Issue 4 should sort out this confusion.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    So we've seen Naomi in costume just by the covers of issue #5 and issue #6, so she's gonna do the superhero thing either way, but she's either an alien or she's not, she either has abilities or she doesn't...

I wonder what Bendis is gonna choose after revealing what he did in issue #3, I'm also wondering how these reveals coincide with that image Naomi has when she close her eyes in issue 2...

I hope this was vague enough where I didn't need spoilers ...someone let me know.
    I'm thinking with the reveal from this issue the whole town may be alien or multiversal refugees or something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I'm thinking with the reveal from this issue the whole town may be alien or multiversal refugees or something similar.
    That would be pretty cool, actually.

Astonishing Member

Which is honestly a model I endorse. I think it may be the way to generate and sustain hype for a new character in the long run, or even revitalize older and lesser known characters. Think about how the NAoH books could have fared with the artists had been able to do a six-issue arc, thing though toward the next one, and returned ?
    I think it would depends upon how long of a delay is there between the next arc. Unless you're game of thrones lol, taking too long can be problematic as the hype behind the series disappear.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Naomi is really suprising me. It's infinitely better than I expected. This series really deserves all the success it can get. However, i glimpsed through Comichron for February and apparently the second issue of Naomi, sold a mere 15,000 units. A great deal of Bendis's Jinxworld books are selling sub-10,000 so I worry about the future of this series selling in the 8,000 - 9,000 range akin to Vertigo or Sandman Universe.

I think in retrospect this comic should have been published as an original graphic novel under the DC Zoom or DC Ink line for younger readers.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I think in retrospect this comic should have been published as an original graphic novel under the DC Zoom or DC Ink line for younger readers.
    She will be connected to YJ at some point, though. So i think they can save her even if her book sells subpar.

And all Wonder-Comics books seem to be aiming at the trade market, anyway.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Just read issue 4 and, you guessed it, it was awesome. The plot is definitively mocing forward toward a very huge revelation -next month, sadly ! But honestly, the quality of the story and art and how humans all those characters are makes me feel attached to them in a way I wouldn't be if they weren't explored as they are. Issue 5 will be explosive, I'm betting on it.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Just read issue 4 and, you guessed it, it was awesome. The plot is definitively mocing forward toward a very huge revelation -next month, sadly ! But honestly, the quality of the story and art and how humans all those characters are makes me feel attached to them in a way I wouldn't be if they weren't explored as they are. Issue 5 will be explosive, I'm betting on it.
    I’m enjoying it but will be happy to be done with this arc and the constant teasing. The reveals this issue weren’t that exciting and with all the buildup, I was expecting more

Astonishing Member

Agreed, it's amazing that this series has quickly became my top 3 comic book series in comics, and I do believe the in depth exploration of the characters is a large portion of that. The family dynamic feels perhaps the most authentic and real that I've seen in a long time. Bendis is really on his A game with this series.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Agreed, it's amazing that this series has quickly became my top 3 comic book series in comics, and I do believe the in depth exploration of the characters is a large portion of that. The family dynamic feels perhaps the most authentic and real that I've seen in a long time. Bendis is really on his A game with this series.
    Amazing what happens when you hire a writer no one at Dc can't punk. Or allow a writer to do his job in the case of David Walker-who did not get that when he did Cyborg.

On the one hand I started reading this story to find out about Naomi's origin and very little of that is actually happening, on the other hand we're learning about other characters and that's revealing little things about Naomi's origin.

Not only that but the synopsis and the cover for issue 4 made me expect more in regards to Naomi's origin and that's not what I got although we did learn more did we did before.

These aren't negatives tho, I'm just impatient as hell, and it's reminding me of manga where for example a big battle is happening with the protagonist and the main villain and instead of getting that full battle, readers keep being interrupted by side battles with the supporting characters in different chapters.

I just know this book will be a great trade read tho.

As for the context in the book, either Naomi is really important spoilers:
    (as in she comes from a "royal" line) and that's why those people were after her or she's not of an important family but those bad guys wanted to wipe out the whole clan/family of their enemy.
    end of spoilers

Also congrats to this book for going to a second printing with all 4 issues (so far), I feel like retailers are under-ordering but if a person from eBay can sell over 300 copies for 20 dollars that should ring some bells

Mighty Member

Ok. The first issue was magnificent, and still the best issue of the run so far. The second issue was awful, mind numbing and virtually a complete waste of pages. But the third issue was showing signs of life...

And issue four may have finally landed on solid ground. This was quite good, but not great. Naomi is too much a passenger in this story, being told rather than getting to experience anything. Still, I really liked the way they developed her dad, and had it fit with Dee's background.

Ok, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the White Lantern symbol? Like, what? I'm really curious where Walker and Bendis are going with this one. Despite my distaste for issue 2, this series is looking like a keeper. Hopefully the wait for the second volume isn't too long.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Ok. The first issue was magnificent, and still the best issue of the run so far. The second issue was awful, mind numbing and virtually a complete waste of pages. But the third issue was showing signs of life...

And issue four may have finally landed on solid ground. This was quite good, but not great. Naomi is too much a passenger in this story, being told rather than getting to experience anything. Still, I really liked the way they developed her dad, and had it fit with Dee's background.

Ok, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the White Lantern symbol? Like, what? I'm really curious where Walker and Bendis are going with this one. Despite my distaste for issue 2, this series is looking like a keeper. Hopefully the wait for the second volume isn't too long.
    It looks VERY similar but it's not exactly the White Lantern symbol. The giveaway is the lines, there are only 5 lines here but the White Lantern has 7 (for each color of the spectrum); it's close enough that it could just be a mistake but I'm mostly certain it's not the same symbol.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."