Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334 LastLast

Totally forgot to say it, but I got my hands on the Hardback of Naomi yesterday, and having Jamal's art in physical form for the first time makes it looks even better ! The paper may have taken some of its shining quality to me, but it's also gained in raw physicality, if it makes sense.

A New Interview

No definite date on season 2, but some interesting things mentioned here:

- Editorial called Bendis about something Naomi related.

- There will be other Naomi appearances in other books.

- Jenny Hex is getting a one-shot (I think that was known).

- Amethyst is getting/has her own book (which we already knew).

- A young justice character was recently pitched for their own book.

- The bat office are gonna do something with Tim and Stephanie.

-Naomi's guest appearance in Action Comics and Young Justice takes place over one night.

I just caught up on Naomi's appearance in Action Comics, and this was a nice introduction for people who didn't read about her and I'm glad we learned a but about her powers, that they're combustive and consumes a lot of her energy, and how she'll probably need to eat a protein rich diet b/c of that etc.

Which let me just say this, I appreciate that Naomi's superpowers are gonna (potentially) turn her into a juggernaut of a female character when it comes to her fighting ability ...once she learns how to fight and control them.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 10-30-2019 at 05:51 PM.

I've just now realized why we've gotten new interviews lol.

The things that stuck out to me in this interview were:

- Bendis confirming Naomi's gonna be a member of Young Justice ...whether that means she's in that book long term is another story.

- Bendis not giving a clear answer on how much time will have passed between season 1 of Naomi and season 2.

- Bendis talking about how fun it is creating a bad guy to unleash on the dc universe.

The last one in particular is interesting when you take the multiple DC rumors into consideration.

Bendis referred to Zumbado as a world burning threat, he's being referred to as a bad guy that is being unleashed on the dc universe, he's not just an arch nemesis for Naomi, he might be akin to a Darkseid or a Thanos. I feel like he's gonna be a threat that all heroes are gonna have to defeat not just Naomi.

I just don't see Zumbado appearing in season 2 of Naomi so that he and Naomi can have an epic battle, I think Naomi will face some of his lackeys first, as Bendis said, other threats are gonna be coming out that door, which means when it's time to really throw down it'll probably be a dc event.

There is a new rumored crisis event happening, I don't think it's Naomi related, it's very obvious that it's an extension/continuation of this big picture that Snyder and company has and is building towards, but after this crisis event there is gonna be a building towards this rumored 5g thing.

And yeah 5G may not be real, but if it is where does that leave Naomi... Jamal Campbell won't be done drawing Far Sector until the middle or close to the end of 2020, then he'll go on a hiatus to recharge, by the time Naomi season 2 comes out, 5G would be in place. Does that mean Naomi season 2 is gonna take place in G4 (the past) or G5 (the present)? How many weeks, months, years has taken place between season 1 and season 2 of Naomi? When it's finally time to really face Zumbado, is it gonna be a tale told from the past (G4) or a story that will play out in the present (G5)?

I know I'm talking about it as if 5G has been confirmed to be a thing but it's hard not to fall into the rabbit hole of speculation, so yeah that's my thoughts after reading this interview, and tbh I'm still thinking about the Newsrama interview where Bendis revealed editorial called him recently about something Naomi related... I'm very curious about her future with all these possible changes to the dc universe that's coming around the corner.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 11-01-2019 at 03:38 AM.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

I'm not sure about how I'd feel with a time-jump for Naomi. I want to see her grow into the powerhouse that she is, becoming a staple of the DCU as she so clearly deserve. Discovering her fully formed and in control become of a time-skip would make me a little sad, even if it meant that she wouldn't risk being belittled afterwards.

I think that for me, the ebst approach would be to keep her solo in the G4, and to either introduce a new series set in G5 or make her a very important player in a new "Justice League" team in G5. What I'm certain, however, is that Jamal Campbell must remains on art duty for her solo as of right now. It's not to sy that other artists wouldn't do a great job (such as David Marquez, and even the Action Comics artist who drew her in the books recently), but I think that Campbell's art is simply too great to be passed upon, especially since it'll only improve during and after Far Sector.

Yeah, I'm a bit conflicted about this as well, on the one hand if significant time has passed between season 1 and season 2 of Naomi then I mean at least we got to see her growth through her guest appearances and her being in Young Justice. On the other hand, I don't want her growth to seem rushed and I would have liked to see most have that growth in her book with her supporting cast.

I like your best case scenario idea, I'm hoping they go with that if this 5G comes to fruition.

Welp, it's what I expected from her appearance in YJ #10 since a Jinny Hex flashback was happening and yet I was still disappointed.

In any case I'm still thinking about that Newsrama interview, specifically this:

Nrama: Speaking of Action Comics, Naomi has appeared there and in Young Justice. Are there other titles we can expect her in?

Bendis: Yes, there are more, we can't say right now. But I actually got a pretty awesome request from editorial concerning her recently.
    I wonder where else she will pop up, I guess she hasn't appeared in Superman, and there is the Batman Universe comic and Legion but I don't think either of those appearances will happen tbh. I'm also curious about what editorial requested of the character.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

If I wasn't already buying Young Justice and I picked up the latest issue because Naomi is featured so prominently on the cover, I'd feel mighty pissed

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    If I wasn't already buying Young Justice and I picked up the latest issue because Naomi is featured so prominently on the cover, I'd feel mighty pissed
    That's apparently what Bendis does. When Jon showed up, he was on the last page, and was also on the cover.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I finally got around to reading the hardcover of "Season 1" and, man, what a great book and what a great character. It's very DC but it's also very Ultimate Spider-man and I mean that as a huge compliment. I first properly came across Naomi in Action Comics so it was great to read her origin story, which was a nice twist on a bunch of superhero tropes with loads of very fine character work. Also, where the hell has Jamal Campbell been hiding? His artwork is (sometimes literally) out of this world.

One thing, though: I don't know if it has been discussed over the past 33 pages of this thread but is Naomi supposed to be gay or bi? I wasn't entirely clear about her relationship with Anna but friends don't normally call each other "baby", do they? Though, I notice that "baby" is a term of affection that Bendis has had the characters he writes use quite a bit of late (Lois, in particular, has called both Clark and Jon, "baby") so maybe it's just that. They did seem even closer than usual for female best friends, though, even if there was nothing overtly sexual about their relationship as shown so far.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    I finally got around to reading the hardcover of "Season 1" and, man, what a great book and what a great character. It's very DC but it's also very Ultimate Spider-man and I mean that as a huge compliment. I first properly came across Naomi in Action Comics so it was great to read her origin story, which was a nice twist on a bunch of superhero tropes with loads of very fine character work. Also, where the hell has Jamal Campbell been hiding? His artwork is (sometimes literally) out of this world.

One thing, though: I don't know if it has been discussed over the past 33 pages of this thread but is Naomi supposed to be gay or bi? I wasn't entirely clear about her relationship with Anna but friends don't normally call each other "baby", do they? Though, I notice that "baby" is a term of affection that Bendis has had the characters he writes use quite a bit of late (Lois, in particular, has called both Clark and Jon, "baby") so maybe it's just that. They did seem even closer than usual for female best friends, though, even if there was nothing overtly sexual about their relationship as shown so far.
    I don't believe her sexuality was ever touched on, I never read her and Anna's relationship as anything romantic/sexual but who knows down the line. Honestly, I rarely say this but I don't think she needs to be queer, it would be cool for her to just be a straight cross-racially adopted black girl. I wouldn't necessarily say there's anything wrong her being gay/bi but i think we've seen an uptick in queer characters of color being introduced that feels more like them putting a hat on a hat to make the character (and by extension the company) feel more progressive; it could just be in my mind. I wouldn't like the character less if she came out as bi/gay but I think i'd prefer they just left that alone.

damn, not gonna lie, it feels kinda problematic to say tbh
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 11-11-2019 at 06:22 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Naomi and Anna's relationship never struck me as anything other than two BFF's, but nothing really says that Naomi is straight either; she never mentions any attraction to men, not even a "that boy is cute" type of comment (that I remember anyway) and we know nothing about her dating history, if she even has one. I got the feeling that dating and romance aren't high on her priority list.

So I suppose it could be possible that Naomi is bi or gay or something else. Though I don't think her and Anna are a thing; there was a lot of shared panel time between them and all they did was act like close friends.

It wouldn't be the worst thing if Naomi was gay of course, and it's not gonna hurt my feelings if she is, but I'm with Lemopeace in that I don't think its necessarily "needed" here.

Though if she is gay, that shoots down the "Jon Kent-Naomi McDuffie" pairing that some people on the Superman forums are theorizing about for 5G.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I think she's straight, although I didn't get the vibe that she swung any particular way when reading her series.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Yeah, it makes no difference to me either way. I was just wondering if maybe I missed something. Good to see that I (probably) didn't.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.