Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Bendis linked the cover of isssue 6 :

Same plot as Ironheart in Bendis's Iron Man I wonder? All the teams want her?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Naomi 6 will be the last issue of the first volume because Jamal Campbell needs a break. It'll return with Amethyst in the second wave of Wonder Comics.

BENDIS: So many questions! I'll stick with the first one.

Issue six wraps the first NAOMI run. We're going to do it HELLBOY style because Jamal needs to take a break! David and I will be building the next part, but by issue four of this series you will see EXACTLY how different.

NAOMI 2 joins AMETHYST as a previously announced Wonder Comics season 2 book!

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post

Two things about this cover: 1. I like how it’s basically Bendis going yes this is canon and set within the current comics. 2. I thought Swamp Thing looked like a really rough looking Aquaman for a second until I saw Arthur to the right. Not really important just wanted to say that.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Her look reminds me of Starbrand from Marvel.
    I just looked at and yeah they're both rocking that crescent symbol.

She's standing amongst her people, also I would like to thank Jamal for including Vixen in this cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Same plot as Ironheart in Bendis's Iron Man I wonder? All the teams want her?
    Hmm, I think this is showing that Naomi is a part of the world she kind of always wanted to be a part of.

Naomi 6 will be the last issue of the first volume because Jamal Campbell needs a break. It'll return with Amethyst in the second wave of Wonder Comics.
    Hopefully I don't have to wait until 2020 for the second wave of Wonder Comics.

September or October would be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Two things about this cover: 1. I like how it’s basically Bendis going yes this is canon and set within the current comics. 2. I thought Swamp Thing looked like a really rough looking Aquaman for a second until I saw Arthur to the right. Not really important just wanted to say that.
    Swamp Thing really does look like a rough looking Aquaman, why does Swamp Thing look like an old man....
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Hopefully I don't have to wait until 2020 for the second wave of Wonder Comics.

September or October would be ideal.
    If Jamal is taking a break I would expect early 2020. Unless they have the next arc already done or near completion for a September launch.

I would go with 2020 as to give time for that trade to be out. If it can do what Duke Thomas's did-it's in good shape. Duke's trade came out in August and was in my public library by the end of September. That NEVER happens unless there is a huge demand for it.

If issue 6 is in June. A trade should be July or August-that should let her piggy back on Moon Girl & Ironheart's trades (if hers comes out in August) and get those buyers too.
    If new series starts in December-it can piggy back with Shuri volume 2 and Moon Girl's 50th issue.

If you are wondering why I mention those three-it's because whoever buys those two books and trades will be more than willing to buy Naomi too. At the same time.

I just read issue 2 of Naomi.

It's really, really great.

We start to learn more about her, her past, and Dee's.

I can't see just yet where Bendis and Walker and Campbell are going, but I can't wait to learn more !

Astonishing Member

I can't see just yet where Bendis and Walker and Campbell are going, but I can't wait to learn more !

It wasn't just great, it was absolutely fantastic. I was literally on the edge of my seat the entire time I was reading it. The art was awesome and the panel scene from when spoilers:
    she went inside dee's house.
    end of spoilers was so well done it was like a movie.
    Have to say this is probably my top 3 favorite book at DC currently.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    It wasn't just great, it was absolutely fantastic. I was literally on the edge of my seat the entire time I was reading it. The art was awesome and the panel scene from when spoilers:
    she went inside dee's house.
    end of spoilers was so well done it was like a movie.
    Have to say this is probably my top 3 favorite book at DC currently.
    I think reading it on comixology takes a little bit of the pleasure for me. But It'll save some trees and allow me to read it first thing in the morning when it's released.

But I definitively know I'll buy the trade when it'll come out.

My theory after #2 is that Dee is Big Sir. That would explain him being in Iron Heights, and Big Sir’s “civilian” first name is Dufus. (I know, right?)
    Cheers - CL

Mighty Member

To each their own, this was by far the most boring comic I read this week.

Literally, and I do mean literally nothing happens. You could skip this issue in it's entirety and not lose anything at all from the story, in any way. The start of issue 3 picks up from the end of the issue 1 for all intents and purposes. A complete waste of pages and dollars.

That said, the art remains beautiful. I was curious about this series after the first issue was so strong. But this issue has completely undermined any interest I may have had. There's slow burn and there is wasting your customer's time and money just because you can. This is the latter, in every way. I won't be back for issue 3.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Literally, and I do mean literally nothing happens. You could skip this issue in it's entirety and not lose anything at all from the story, in any way. The start of issue 3 picks up from the end of the issue 1 for all intents and purposes. A complete waste of pages and dollars.
    Quite the contrary. A lot happened.

At the end of issue 1, and at the start of this one, Naomi is confused, even lost. Yes, she wants to know more about what Dee knows about her... but she can't act upon it. The way she's thrown away by him, and is unable to prevent him contrast deeply with the last page, where she is unfazed by his outburst and tells him that he better be ready to spill the beans now.

And those changes come from her interaction with her parents, because what Dee said to her deeply unnerved her and it could have meant that her whole life was a lie. It isn't without reason that what her parents are talking about are divorce and peoples hiding stuff, dirty or sick stuff, even. The divorce hint at Naomi's own fear that the world she knows and love could end badly, and the mention of someone hiding deeply disturbing stuff or at least looking/acting creepy, hint at the secret she may have stumbled upon being corrosive and sick.

But when her parents reassure her that she is loved, that they don't hide things from her and that she can digest it with her friend, she now has the mental fortitude and determination to act.

The first issue introduced the town and the event leading to the changes in her. This issue introduced Naomi the character, with her frailties and her resolve, while hinting at her true mother and her past. And it's necessary. You can't just have Dee revealing that he knows the day she was adopted and then reveal everything like that. There is a need for at least some build-up and thought from the MC.

At least, it's how I interpreted this issue.

Also, a new interview, mainly about Naomi : https://deadline.com/2019/02/brian-m...se-1202560195/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    To each their own, this was by far the most boring comic I read this week.

That said, the art remains beautiful. I was curious about this series after the first issue was so strong. But this issue has completely undermined any interest I may have had. There's slow burn and there is wasting your customer's time and money just because you can. This is the latter, in every way. I won't be back for issue 3.
    You do know this is an appreciation thread right? If you have an issue you can save your posts for a review thread when it's posted. An appreciation thread is meant for those that "appreciate" the character.

I haven't gotten myself a physical copy of issue #2 yet so I don't know what happened but I was on Bendis twitter and he said something about secrets start flying on issue #3 and then his recent interview with Deadline has him and Walker basically saying that issue #4 is when the book takes off, so I figured nothing substantial was revealed yet and that more world building happened, maybe the reveal of Naomi's adopted parents, a little background on Dee, another cameo from Superman and the cliffhanger mentioned in the synopsis. So now I don't feel like missed a big secret which mean I don't need to rush to get the issue like I was trying to do yesterday.