Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    I am happy that there is a demand for Naomi but I will forever be surprised that there is such a demand that people can sell copies of this comic at a higher price on Ebay.
    Put it to you like this when was the last time Dc INVESTED in a black female? Or ANY POC?

Not fake investment or doing as LITTLE as you can or being held hostage by a tired storyline like we have seen with Duke, Wally, Cyborg & John Stewart.

Bendis is NOT going anywhere. If he does what he (and G Willow Wilson did with Ms Marvel) did with Miles-yeah you are going to want those early issues.

Because his track record says success. Even if you get a Naomi show on the DC app-that works.

Amazon

Naomi: Season One Hardcover – October 29, 2019
    (Preorders mind you)
    Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #100,393 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
    #257 in DC Comics & Graphic Novels
    #1004 in Superhero Comics & Graphic Novels

That is not a bad ranking for a hard cover and at $20??

Going into the holiday season?
    Where a certain book store loves to have buy one get one free DC trades.....

I bought her number 1 around release date to fill in my 5 for 20% off discount and found out that its going for like £50, i haven't been reading her stuff so can anyone give me the gist of things here and why is she really sought after.

Mainly interested because other older characters like Silencer and DC's new age characters haven't went up in price at all.
    Is it because of Bendis?

Port Oswego is mentioned in the Action Comics #1011, something about a video.

https://www.cbr.com/preview-action-c...unter-rebirth/

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I can see her picking a name in the final issue, perhaps on the last page... and that would then serve as the subtitle for season 2.

I hope she does. I don't want to see "still working on a name", which was pretty much Riri Williams's catchphrase before she finally chose "Ironheart". That would be Bendis repeating himself.
    Actually since the first official interview or announcement I believe we knew about Riri's superhero name being Ironheart, we certainly knew it before it was revealed in the actual comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Hopefully she'll have a superhero name soon, yes. I wonder what it'll be however. Do you think it'll sound like something cosmic (Starborn, etc.) or more down to Earth, considering her origins ?
    I was gonna post about how just thinking up superhero names for Naomi was hard and that I kept coming up with names that has 'star' in it and the bolded was one of them.

I expect the name to be cosmic with all those covers that seem to incorporate space and stars but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Put it to you like this when was the last time Dc INVESTED in a black female? Or ANY POC?

Not fake investment or doing as LITTLE as you can or being held hostage by a tired storyline like we have seen with Duke, Wally, Cyborg & John Stewart.

Bendis is NOT going anywhere. If he does what he (and G Willow Wilson did with Ms Marvel) did with Miles-yeah you are going to want those early issues.

Because his track record says success. Even if you get a Naomi show on the DC app-that works.
    Ok but is it really an investment; if Bendis were to leave tomorrow I don't think that DC would actually keep the character off the limbo shelf.

You are right tho, Bendis is not going anywhere and I don't think I'm wrong to say that Bendis is probably gonna spend the rest of his career with DC and so the character won't disappear and it helps that this is what DC Comics tasked Bendis to do when they hired him (i.e create stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Abductor View Post
    I bought her number 1 around release date to fill in my 5 for 20% off discount and found out that its going for like £50, i haven't been reading her stuff so can anyone give me the gist of things here and why is she really sought after.

Mainly interested because other older characters like Silencer and DC's new age characters haven't went up in price at all.
    Is it because of Bendis?
    Well the book was advertised as hiding a secret that's been a part of the DC universe or something like that, it doesn't hurt that it's already confirmed that the book would continue. The art is also amazing, and Bendis has not been shy about stating that DC comics essentially tasked him with creating new things.

Outside of that I have no idea why prices are going up or rather why people can get away with selling the comic at a higher price and people are actually buying it instead of waiting for another shipping or going to comixology.

With NAoH, it was advertised as spinning out of Dark Metal and than it was stated that it wasn't connected and then the artists were advertised as the selling point but most of the artists could only do 3 issues, so inconsistency would be a reason why maybe NAoH books never had their prices go up.

Screenshot_20190520-234455_Twitter.jpg

We knew that there would be something with Young Justice but she's gonna guest star in Action Comics too, I'm happy she'll get to meet her favorite hero. I also hope Naomi is guest starring in one of these books before 2020.

Screenshot_20190520-234455_Twitter.jpg

We knew that there would be something with Young Justice but she's gonna guest star in Action Comics too, I'm happy she'll get to meet her favorite hero. I also hope Naomi is guest starring in one of these books before 2020.
    Interesting. I suspect she'll meet Superman in the finale issue next month (she'll need help to deal with Zumbado, who knows his powers when she doesn't) and probably will then be trained by Superman a little in Action before being sent to YJ when they'll come back from their Multiverse trip. At least it's what I suspect.

@Kurenai24
    Hmm, thanks for all the insightful stuff, guess it can't hurt too much to read a little into her stuff to see what's all speculation is about.
    Buying the other floppies is out of the question, so i'll just have settle for the digital stuff for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Abductor View Post

Is it because of Bendis?
    It is speculator market driving up price. I think 3 things is causing that

1. Potential to be next big thing ala Miles or Captain Marvel
    2. Proven pedigree on the title Bendis
    3. Comic book movie properties are hot right now anything that has potential to show up in them will go up in price . For example Agents of Atlas which is the first appearance of couple asian characters has a jump in cost. Simple on the fact the could show up in the MCU.

All the signs point to maybe Naomi could be big, DC doesn't have original prominent break out minority character. Comic book companies are slow realizing fans want to see characters that look like them.Those two thing combined with Bendis pushes Naomi to the front of the list. Naomi story(so far) feels like it could be adapted into a good movie and she could be DC's "Captain Marvel"( that sentence was so fun to type). Her books are going up in price because she has the look of something bigger. And it even seems like DC is on board with appearances in Superman and Young Justice. If this was Marvel book I would easily go hunting for issue 1 but given DC track record with minority characters and failing things that should be easy success like Cyborg and Static Shock. I have faith in DC to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I want to be wrong though

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Interesting. I suspect she'll meet Superman in the finale issue next month (she'll need help to deal with Zumbado, who knows his powers when she doesn't) and probably will then be trained by Superman a little in Action before being sent to YJ when they'll come back from their Multiverse trip. At least it's what I suspect.
    Hmm, I don't know if Superman is gonna appear in the last issue but it would be a nice surprise.

I wonder what video came out of Port Oswego and who recorded it.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Does Silencer count in your mind?

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Does Silencer count in your mind?
    I don't know which question you're referring to so I'll answer both.

Silencer is not a black female character but a polynesian one so skyvolt is not wrong about DC not investing in black female part.

And Silencer no longer has a book, right now she will guest star in Bendis Event Leviathan book but after that we will have to see if DC pushes the character and invests in her so skyvolt might have been premature in regards to that.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 05-22-2019 at 12:35 AM.

Actually since the first official interview or announcement I believe we knew about Riri's superhero name being Ironheart, we certainly knew it before it was revealed in the actual comic.
    Well, that'll be because when she took over Iron Man's book, her name was on the cover. It was several more issues before she actually adopted the name in-story, which happened when her red and gold armor debuted.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I don't know which question you're referring to so I'll answer both.

Silencer is not a black female character but a polynesian one so skyvolt is not wrong about DC not investing in black female part.

And Silencer no longer has a book, right now she will guest star in Bendis Event Leviathan book but after that we will have to see if DC pushes the character and invests in her so skyvolt might have been premature in regards to that.
    I was referring to the second part since she is definitely a person of color.

Well, that'll be because when she took over Iron Man's book, her name was on the cover. It was several more issues before she actually adopted the name in-story, which happened when her red and gold armor debuted.
    Hmm, I don't remember that, I could have sworn the name on the cover was Invincible Iron Man and as soon as she said in story what she wanted to be called that was close to when Marvel relaunched the books to number one's again and then her book was called Ironheart, but since Riri's introduction we knew what her superhero name would be b/c of Bendis.

I guess the technicalities of the whole Riri situation doesn't really matter as it's over but the original point I was making was that I'm sure Bendis has everything thought up, whether he reveals it is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I was referring to the second part since she is definitely a person of color.
    Well there are still people who don't know the background of Silencer so I like to be sure especially with what Arrow did.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 05-22-2019 at 12:58 PM.

Hmm, I don't remember that, I could have sworn the name on the cover was Invincible Iron Man and as soon as she said in story what she wanted to be called that was close to when Marvel relaunched the books to number one's again and then her book was called Ironheart, but since Riri's introduction we knew what her superhero name would be b/c of Bendis.
    The book was called Invincible Iron Man, yes, but Ironheart was named on the cover. She didn't actually give herself the name until issue 3. She only got a book actually called Ironheart when Bendis left Marvel.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The book was called Invincible Iron Man, yes, but Ironheart was named on the cover. She didn't actually give herself the name until issue 3. She only got a book actually called Ironheart when Bendis left Marvel.
    Ok, it's kind of coming back to me, thank you for the example.

This also makes me believe that Bendis probably does have a superhero name for Naomi already if she is going to go by one that is.