Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Another thought but I'm having a hard time thinking of preexisting characters who would guest (outside of Superman) in her book, I can think of some for the other wonder comics book but for Naomi ...I'm drawing a blank.

Would having guest appearances help or hinder her book?

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Okay so, I'm incredibly drunk (more than ever before in my life) but I want to expand on why Naomi speaks to me.

I'm White and French by birth, but I'm half-spaniard and half briton (from britany) and I've felt for some years this urge to reconnect with those parts of my background. But in France, it isn't how it's work.

We are supposed to be blind to religious and ethnic backgrounds. It isn't the case, of course, but as a white half-foreign youth, I can't help but roots for those comics characters who tries to find their place in spite of the obstacles put by life un their pace. And I think it's why I love Duke Thomas, Cassandra Cain or Naomi :

They seek their place in the world but don't fit in neat boxes.

Feel free to disregard this post as the rambling of a drunk 27 y.o. kid, but that's really how I feel about them.

As for the sobering me in a few hours : don't edit this post, because you are frank with your self for once !
    I can understand that and once Naomi's adoption is revealed, hopefully whatever that new thing is that's connected to the DC universe doesn't overshadow Naomi dealing with and exploring who she is.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    She can be connected and still open doors.

If she is linked to Kryton and have no powers-that opens doors because how does that happen?

The line of villains (& Batman) trying to find out how she is powerless could get you a LONG running series because everyone wants to know if it can be used to take out Superman.

If she does a new power that the others don't like Miles Morales-more doors open.

Heck for all we know she might be linked to Hotspot and his Titans as they were part alien too and they first appeared in a Superman book.
    You bring up some good points, then I guess the only thing that would still make me resist the idea is the backlash/hate.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 01-01-2019 at 05:22 PM.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Don't worry, I'm fine

Concerning Young Justice original comics, to me it was simply too American. To give a little context, here's how most French people my generation grew up with this vision of what the average American is :

Basically, kind of unrefined, brutes who only care about themselves. Plus, I grew up under Bush, basically, who was seen as an absolutely terrible president over here, believed to be dumber than a sack of bricks.

And, well, I really felt that the 1998 YJ comics was the epitome of this representation, be it with the art style, the tone, the personalities of the characters...
    Yikes! Although I can see some resemblances, to be completely fair. And only a certain section cared for Bush, and I think a number of them got weary of him after a fashion.

It really is interesting to learn of this, though, especially with how it pertains to the OG Young Justice book and their portrayals. Whether they carry that with them in this new book remains to be seen. But like you said, they are banking on the nostalgia factor, so who can say until its said and done.

I’m intrigued and will be giving it a try (3-4 issues.)

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Would having guest appearances help or hinder her book?
    It would depend on how they are utilized.

A little write up from Portland Monthly

The plot: A brown-skinned girl has her world turned upside down when Superman bounces through town, a predominantly white place that seems a lot like real-life Lake O. His turbo-charged drop-in leads her to question the events surrounding her adoption, setting her on a quest that will ultimately transform the entire DC universe.

Meet Naomi, a new character created by Portland writers Brian Michael Bendis and David Walker. She makes her debut in the eponymous comic in January on Bendis’s new young adult–oriented DC imprint, Wonder Comics. If her story seems personal to Bendis, who is white with two adopted daughters of color, and Walker, who is biracial, that’s because it is.

“DC gave us this incredible opportunity to basically go nuts,” says Bendis. “So we sat down and thought about what we should do with that opportunity [to put] new stuff into the DC universe. And putting in stuff that’s so personal to myself and David and [artist Jamal Campbell] was the answer.”

Naomi is a fresh addition to a world already densely populated with superheroes and bound by the logic of its 80-year history (if you count from the birth of Superman). But even the Man of Steel’s sacrosanct universe needs new blood. “Both Marvel and DC need new characters,” says Bendis. “New people need to walk in, take a look around, and show us something that even Batman couldn’t show us.”

Naomi is one of a number of new characters who break with the old traditions of white male superheroes—Miles Morales, the Afro-Latino Spider-Man appeared first in 2011 (also created by Bendis); Ironheart, a young black female engineering genius, stepped into the Marvel universe in 2016—and Walker is grateful. “I’ve hit a point in my life where, not just as a creator but as a fan, I find the old-school heroes have become a little boring to me. I don’t need to see another white guy saving the day, or another man saving the day.”

Still, according to Bendis, there’s a place for the OG superhero even now.

“I never would have guessed what a therapeutic, lovely place it is just to sit in Superman’s head,” he says. “You can’t spend all day pretending to be Superman in a story and then go out and start fighting with people at Fred Meyer. I find myself being more helpful than I was before.”

A little interview from Comicbook.com

Most American mass entertainment takes place in big cities, unless being in a small town is part of its DNA -- and DC Comics's upcoming Naomi, due out in late January from writers Brian Michael Bendis and David Walker with artist Jamal Campbell, is no exception.

The series is kicked off when Superman and Mongul battle their way through a small town, destroying quite a bit in a brief period of time and putting the home of the titular heroine on the map for the first time.

"Our first instance was to take her story into a place that you don't normally see in the DC Universe, or you know exists," Bendis told ComicBook.com during a recent interview. "This came from my deep reading last year of the whole history of the DC Comics and all the big storylines. And when you read them in a row you'll find out, "Oh, this happened in Metropolis, Gotham, Metropolis, Gotham, Star City, Metropolis, Gotham, Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City.' And so there's all these places that the story still has yet to go because the main places of the DC Universe are so fun and so exciting to be, right?"

The result is, to some extent, a series like Marvels, Kurt Busiek and Alex Ross's acclaimed miniseries that saw the Marvel Universe through the eyes of an everyday reporter over a number of years. To ordinary people within the DC Universe, the superheroes are not the shining, inspirational figures they are to readers or the everyday men and women they are to their peers, but something else.

"We said, 'Well what happens if Superman bounces into a sleepy town in the Pacific Northwest where it would be the biggest thing that ever happened?'" Bendis continued. "And almost like a billiard ball effect, what happens if you just bounce Superman into a little town for one second? You see this, in communities or neighborhoods or small towns, where the slightest alteration spins everybody into a tizzy."

The decision to relocate the story was similar to the one Justin Jordan made last year when he set The Curse of Brimstone in a small town, although with the added dimension of race and class that is less prevalent in Brimstone.

"Part of what we were talking about and trying to do was, in a much broader sense, this story is about inclusion in the hero and all of us, and we wanted to get across what it's like to be an outsider, a stranger in a strange land, and all those sort of things," Campbell added. "But also, we move it from a place where something exciting happens, you know? I mean, you live in New York City or Metropolis or Gotham City, and there's always something exciting going on. But if you live in a relatively small town, it sort of feels like the world passes you by. And then when you throw into that that you're somebody who's maybe marginalized or underrepresented, not only are you in a place where the world is passing you by, you also sometimes have a feeling like you're in a world where you don't belong. And that's a lot of what we wanted to really start to explore within this story."

Naomi #1 will be available in stores and online on January 23, 2019.

Some thoughts from Bleeding Cool on Naomi #1, in the article it mentions the issue launching this week ...I think they meant this month.

There are no spoilers in this article.

Naomi is the second comic from DC’s Wonder Comics line, launching this week with Young Justice #1. And just as Young Justice #1 is all about Metropolis suffering an absence of Superman, and nature abhorring a vacuum, so Naomi #1 is the opposite of that – a place without any superheroes, getting a brief flyby for a Superman-Mongul fight. Hell, maybe this is where he was during Young Justice #1. Connective tissue?

A brand-new character, and a black female lead to boot, one might expect orders from your standard conservative retailer bunch to be on the low side. Which is why DC Comics has made the comic book entirely returnable. Comic stores can order high, safe in the knowledge that they can return any unsold copies to DC Comics.

I’ve managed to get a sneak peek at a little of the first issue, and I can let you know that despite being written by Brian Michael Bendis and David F Walker, it really reads like a What-If-Bendis-Wrote-Damage Control. Lots of vox pops with population reacting to events, the superhero action happening above and beyond the people, who are left to clear up the mess it makes – and gossip about Superman, about what it all means and – in Naomi’s case – getting rather annoyed that she missed it all.

You can probably picture the small panel grids for reactions, the long double-spread wide panels for discussion, and plenty of people talking over and interrupting each other, and Jamal Campbell on full art duties gives that approach something what you might expect someone like Chris Bachalo, Sara Pichelli or David Marquez to supply, a fully realised and detailed world, with just enough of a cartoony approach to keep it all fun and kinetic.

It’s the Damage Control aspect that appeals to me and I’ve always been a sucker for the superhero and sci-fi stories that give voice to the little people affected by the big decisions. And turns out that they may not be little people at all. And that’s why Naomi works for me – and is leagues ahead of something like Young Justice and, frankly, quite a lot of Brian Bendis’ work, who has been doing this sort of thing since the AKA Goldfish days. And the final pages of the first issue suggest it will be taking that approach and spreading it far wider than her hometown.

And also, because it eschews most of the standard superhero comic book concentration on the fight, it does give you a lot more… stuff to read. And you get something closer to Giant Days, Strangers In Paradise or Bingo Love.

Of course, you could just read Giant Days, Strangers In Paradise or Bingo Love. But this one has a Superman/Mongul blowup in the middle. See, I quite like those too.

We also learn that in the DC Universe, they don’t have the dame Superman complex as you do in our psychiatric diagnosis. First named as such by Dr Frederick Wertham, author of the discredited Seduction Of The Innocent, it describes an unhealthy sense of responsibility, or the belief that everyone else lacks the capacity to successfully perform one or more tasks and that such a person may feel a constant need to “save” others.’ Bendis and Walker redefine this in the DC Universe as the fantasy of a child that they were adopted and their true identity is something special…

Naomi may be about to realise that if she does think that then maybe, just maybe, she might have a point.

I wonder what her surname is?

Some thoughts from Bleeding Cool on Naomi #1, in the article it mentions the issue launching this week ...I think they meant this month.
    No they did mean this week. They come out Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnighter View Post
    No they did mean this week. They come out Wednesday.
    I know Young Justice launches this week, but DC comics website says the 23rd for Naomi.

I'm very confused.

Spectacular Member

I'm excited to check it out. I always find it nice to get a new character that isn't part of a legacy and can have their own identity.

The more I read about it, the more I'm liking Naomi. Perhaps I'm over hyping myself, but I can't wait to have the issues in hand (well, computer, since I'm switching to digital, but still).

Astonishing Member

Awesome interviews, @kurenai24! It nice to finally get some perspective on what Naomi is gonna be about!

I'd hold off on the guest appearances for a while. I rather Naomi get her feet wet first and build a following before you start bringing in guest stars. Granted Naomi's core conceit lends itself to a wide range of guest stars popping in/out from the get-go so guest stars would feel natural.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-08-2019 at 01:53 PM.

So, I don't know if any of you read the preview for Naomi in the back issues of today's comics, but the art is simply stunning and I really like the voice of the characters seen there, even in the background. I can't wait to get my hands on this book !

Incredible Member

There are no spoilers in this article.
    Wonder Comics is launching this week with Young Justice. Naomi later in the month.