Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Forgot to post this but Jamal Campbell did a little AMA on his Instagram earlier this week since his power was out.

20190523_154208.jpg

So I guess depending on when they want to release season 2, Jamal might not be a sure thing like we assumed.

Screenshot_20190522-050314_Instagram.jpg

I posted this one b/c Bendis did talk about how they were doing seasonal thing to give Jamal a break so now we know what he's working on.

Got to sit down and read the full run up to the latest issue (5) just now. Thanks, Comixology, for having the issues I couldn't find in print at reasonable prices!

Anyway.

Damn, that was good. That was the Bendis I know and love, from way back in the day. And the art? Hot damn, easily some of the very best in the market.

I know everyone here has talked about the mysteries and questions endlessly and I'm not bringing them back up, but man, what a fantastic series this is turning out to be.

If the gods are good, this is just the beginning of her story. I'm all in.

But seriously, *no one* is ever going to make her look as awesome as Campbell here!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Really love how Bendis has focused on bringing more diversity into comics. Also love how Naomi feels like a classic DC character. By that I mean DC is known for their super powerful pantheon of god-heroes. So Naomi fits in well.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    But seriously, *no one* is ever going to make her look as awesome as Campbell here!
    She may be drawn reasonably well in guest appearances, though I do believe that it's true that when artists do their own inking and coloring, they do stuff that colorists alone can't really replicate. I'm thinking of the lights that form around Naomi. Campbell can do that stuff without having ever pencilled or inked a thing, just playing with streams of color.

But I'd agree that I can't imagine any artist taking over the title itself, or ever doing a fill-in issue. The overall art and atmosphere is just so unique to the style Jamal is employing. This is just his. And the books are a lot of work. They need a good lead time to put out 6 issues with no skipped months.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

It'll be interesting to see how other artists interpret Naomi when she starts appearing in the larger DCU, but I can't imagine anyone else but Jamal drawing her solo comic. Jamal is well over 50% of the reason for the character's success. Without this art, I don't know if this book would have worked as well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

That is a slight worry, My experience with Bishop is that a lot artists can't draw braids or locks well. And your statement goes from a complement of Campbell to something else.

Oh, I know. Her entire visual appeal, from the powers to the costume to her hair, facial expressions, body language......no one is going to be able to compete with Campbell here.

But she's his creation (visually), so of course no one is going to match him. But the fact that he's just so much damn better than so many artists just makes it stand out even more.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I agree with all the talk about Naomi and artists, this is why I am very interested in her future guest appearances in Action Comics and Young Justice b/c I can only assume that Jamal won't fill in for those. I already know those beautiful lights that surround her when her powers are activated will probably be forgotten, her eyes won't have that crest/symbol, her braids will probably look more like locs, so I'm wonder if she will still shine in those pages.

~~

3 things that popped into my head:

1a. That symbol/crest/family seal (that reminded people of the white and black lantern symbols) looks like a crescent moon with sun rays. Is Naomi's power possibly gonna involve solar and/or lunar abilities...

1b. Naomi's father used a lance and her mother had a double headed battle axe when fighting, will Naomi also get to carry a weapon or will she not need to...

2. Is it possible that the Rannians and Thanagarians could become more involved in Naomi's story outside of just what her adoptive father and D is...

There seems to be a lot of interest in Naomi : https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/05...ance-reorders/

I love how I'm only hearing good things when I come to this thread or hear about Naomi. It shows the excitement for the character and FORCES DC to be more thoughtful when dealing with the character (for now at least), which has become something they've struggled to do with their new characters; especially characters of color.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Naomi will apparently be appearing in Event: Leviathan at some point.

https://twitter.com/agentfitz777/sta...49799940669440

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post

Damn.

I'm both happy and wary, I can already see peoples screaming bloody murder.

"But X was better suited than her!"

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Damn.

I'm both happy and wary, I can already see peoples screaming bloody murder.

"But X was better suited than her!"
    I'm interested to see how she fits into things. I know Bendis had said she'd be in Action Comics, so maybe that is what he means here. It does seem like an odd fit to put her in the actual miniseries given what we know of the scope of it. Still, any broader exposure will be good to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    There seems to be a lot of interest in Naomi : https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/05...ance-reorders/
    I'm happy that there is but I am still surprised tbh, maybe it being a seasonal mini-series helps since the amount of spending is short term idk, I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. I'm happy that this means that Bendis could probably do even more things with the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post

I hope this a separate guest appearance from Action Comics but I guess this is what Bendis could have meant when he said Naomi was gonna be in Action since the Levithan story came from Action idk.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I am very curious to see how Naomi's introduction into the deep-end of the DCU will play out, particularly with Superman, who has been so important to her throughout her story.

I hope it's baby steps though, I don't want too much, too soon.