Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Preview for the finale (T-T) issue of Naomi's season 1 : https://www.newsarama.com/45902-naomi-6-preview.html

I did NOT see that coming.
    Last edited by Korath; 07-08-2019 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Preview for the finale (T-T) issue of Naomi's season 1 : https://www.newsarama.com/45902-naomi-6-preview.html

I did NOT see that coming.
    What ...what's going on, is he not evil, is he not working alone... I am so ready to read this.

In regards to this latest issue, all I will say is no wonder Bendis and Walker can plan out a trilogy...

Will my finishing statement be positive or negative, we shall see tomorrow.

I'll really need to re-read the whole isxth issue over and over again. I'm so damn hyped and frustrated in the same time !

Is this the first time we learn her last name? If it holds the meaning/context that I think it does, then that's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    Is this the first time we learn her last name? If it holds the meaning/context that I think it does, then that's awesome.
    That's a first.

I didn't get the reference however, care to enlighten me ?

That's a first.

I didn't get the reference however, care to enlighten me ?
    spoilers:
    I'm assuming in honor of Dwayne McDuffie https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwayne_McDuffie
    end of spoilers

Naomi McDuffie!? that clenches it for me, this is the breakout comic character of the year for me! I loved the finale of this season and i especially love the end tag "to be continued in the pages of DC comics" that's how to launch a character with purpose. it's a shame it takes a creator that is too big to be interfered with to do it themselves for DC to launch a new character so competently. I'm excited for whatever comes next for Naomi wherever she goes next.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 07-11-2019 at 01:36 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Naomi spoilers:
    McDuffie
    end of spoilers!? that clenches it for me, this is the breakout comic character of the year for me! I loved the finale of this season and i especially love the end tag "to be continued in the pages of DC comics" that's how to launch a character with purpose. it's a shame it takes a creator that is too big to be interfered with to do it themselves for DC to launch a new character so competently. I'm excited for whatever comes next for Naomi wherever she goes next.
    So true. That's why its my wish that he take a run at Cyborg.

BANNED

After reading Naomi, Event Leviathan, Superman and Action Comics I think that I have figure out Bendis' writing style. He seems to write a character around an event in that moment. He writes in the moment. His stories are very muched decompressed. I think this works well for more established well know characters that are fan favorites like Batman but I'm not sure if this type of storytelling works well for newer characters like Naomi. I would have liked to learned a bit more about who this character is like when she was in the first issue with her counselor.

But I really do like Bendis' writing style. I'm glad I had a open mind and didn't listen to the haters.
    Last edited by Wakeneuron; 07-10-2019 at 12:08 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Naomi spoilers:
    McDuffie
    end of spoilers!? that clenches it for me, this is the breakout comic character of the year for me! I loved the finale of this season and i especially love the end tag "to be continued in the pages of DC comics" that's how to launch a character with purpose. it's a shame it takes a creator that is too big to be interfered with to do it themselves for DC to launch a new character so competently. I'm excited for whatever comes next for Naomi wherever she goes next.
    I absolutely agree. Two people (I'm including Campbell) have done something in a few months that DC couldn't do to Cyborg in years. Naomi still has a long way to go, but this is a great start to building the character and lore of a completely new non-legacy character. Plus the last name honor is really nice. She almost feels like she could be from his comics.

So my statement yesterday (technically early morning) was No wonder Bendis and Walker can plan out a trilogy and my finishing statement for today is b/c questions were not answered.

It's not really a positive or a negative but yeah...

Ok so spoilers:
    we know about Zumbado's breath (heh), but when he walks he seems to also secrete black smoke as well. He's been on other earths but it's not clear if he destroyed them but being on those other earth's may have altered him. What were those black circular things surrounding him, I almost want to say plasma but idk. And that hockey puck looking thing he was holding, it can't be a tracking device otherwise he would have already found her, unless it couldn't find her b/c her powers weren't activated but now he'll always know where she's at.
    end of spoilers Even more questions...

Also how cool that Naomi will spoilers:
    get training from a ranagar and a thanagarian.
    end of spoilers

I'll really need to re-read the whole isxth issue over and over again. I'm so damn hyped and frustrated in the same time !
    Uhm, me, me, and me again.

It's so weird b/c things happened, cool things and yet we don't have answers still.

This was truly an origin story, nothing more, nothing less, take out 2 issues and it becomes a sleeker origin but an origin nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    Yes this is the first time and I'm glad I'm not the only who noticed it, as soon I read it, it gave me such a pause, like wait I know that name, I had to google the name to make sure that was the last name I was thinking it was. What an homage if it actually is one.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeneuron View Post
    After reading Naomi, Event Leviathan, Superman and Action Comics I think that I have figure out Bendis' writing style. He seems to write a character around an event in that moment. He writes in the moment. His stories are very muched decompressed. I think this works well for more established well know characters that are fan favorites like Batman but I'm not sure if this type of storytelling works well for newer characters like Naomi. I would have liked to learned a bit more about who this character is like when she was in the first issue with her counselor.

But I really do like Bendis' writing style. I'm glad I had a open mind and didn't listen to the haters.
    The funny thing is if this was an ongoing, we probably would have gotten more of those moments you wanted to see from Naomi and would still be waiting for some type of information on her home planet and parents. With this mini-series we kind of got bits and peices of everything in regards to information which depending on the person is either gonna be satisfactory or not.

It's nice to hear you gave Bendis a chance and you see where his writing works best and where it doesn't. Since I read quite a bit of manga this decompression writing style of Bendis is nothing to me, I'm reading a particular manga where the arc has been more than 100 chapters so far and for five chapters now it's been teased the final fight would be over and it hasn't happened yet (and this is not uncommon in action manga). Unfortunately for Bendis while his stories are character driven, action is never really a focus which in this particular genre (American superhero comics) is a negative for people.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 07-10-2019 at 01:26 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    So my statement yesterday (technically early morning) was No wonder Bendis and Walker can plan out a trilogy and my finishing statement for today is b/c questions were not answered.

It's not really a positive or a negative but yeah...

Ok so spoilers:
    we know about Zumbado's breath (heh), but when he walks he seems to also secrete black smoke as well. He's been on other earths but it's not clear if he destroyed them but being on those other earth's may have altered him. What were those black circular things surrounding him, I almost want to say plasma but idk. And that hockey puck looking thing he was holding, it can't be a tracking device otherwise he would have already found her, unless it couldn't find her b/c her powers weren't activated but now he'll always know where she's at.
    end of spoilers Even more questions...

Also how cool that Naomi will spoilers:
    get training from a ranagar and a thanagarian.
    end of spoilers

Uhm, me, me, and me again.

It's so weird b/c things happened, cool things and yet we don't have answers still.

This was truly an origin story, nothing more, nothing less, take out 2 issues and it becomes a sleeker origin but an origin nonetheless.

Yes this is the first time and I'm glad I'm not the only who noticed it, as soon I read it, it gave me such a pause, like wait I know that name, I had to google the name to make sure that was the last name I was thinking it was. What an homage if it actually is one.

The funny thing is if this was an ongoing, we probably would have gotten more of those moments you wanted to see from Naomi and would still be waiting for some type of information on her home planet and parents. With this mini-series we kind of got bits and peices of everything in regards to information which depending on the person is either gonna be satisfactory or not.

It's nice to hear you gave Bendis a chance and you see where his writing works best and where it doesn't. Since I read quite a bit of manga this decompression writing style of Bendis is nothing to me, I'm reading a particular manga where the arc has been more than 100 chapters so far and for five chapters now it's been teased the final fight would be over and it hasn't happened yet (and this is not uncommon in action manga). Unfortunately for Bendis while his stories are character driven, action is never really a focus which in this particular genre (American superhero comics) is a negative for people.

Ding Ding, I've been saying in the beginning that Bendis is a manga writer in an American comic book writer body lol. Since I like Manga a lot more than American comics, it makes sense why Bendis is probably my favorite writer in American comics.

Screenshot_20190710-231606_Twitter.jpg

The name is an homage or at least it seems so going by the retweet. spoilers:
    The McDuffie twitter account
    end of spoilers seems to think it was David Walker's idea and Bendis retweeted that comment.

Screenshot_20190710-231700_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20190710-231727_Twitter.jpg

source source source

Incredible Member

"McDuffie" warmed my heart (although an out-of-universe reference really was no reason to treat it like a big secret), but other than that, after having loved the first five issues, number six left me rather underwhelmed. For the last issue in the first arc of an ongoing series it would've been fine, but the seasonal approach really hurts it in my opinion. A rush to the finish line with no immediate follow-up to make it feel less like, well, a finish line. As usual, it probably reads much better in collected form. Anyway, as expected, since it's a small cast and most lines are uttered by younger characters, all (or at least most of) the Bendisspeak in it doesn't come across as unnatural or samey, Naomi and her friends and family are likable, and her Earth of birth is interesting, so I'm in for the long haul.
    Death's Head, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, House of X, Powers of X.
    Ascender, DIE, Saga, The Wicked + The Divine.
    Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman Beyond, Catwoman, Lois Lane, Naomi, Young Justice.