Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Folks, please do not post images that promote or link to piracy sites. Thanks.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Jamal Campbell posted some snippets from the final issue of Season 1 and... Man, I just love his style, the way he draws Naomi, even Zumbado's strange design !

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz3hK49HMCZ/

Finally got to the LCS last night, I was so pumped to have issue 6.

And....wow, stuff definitely happened. I was really looking for more answers and resolutions than we got, and the final confrontation wasn't as wild as what I had been expecting either (trying not to be too spoiler-y). So I gotta sit down and read it again. I think my enjoyment was hampered by my expectations and I'm not judging the book on its own merits, but on what I wanted it to do. Still, the craft here maintains that crazy high level we've had since issue 1, and I dare say Campbell has actually gotten even better since the first issue (sounds impossible I know!). I was already excited for season 2 and the trip around the DCU, but now I'm even more hyped.

That last name? Hell yeah. I don't care if it was Walker's idea or Bendis' or Campbell's or whoever, that made me smile.

The.....place.....Naomi goes? Amazing, beautiful, horrifying. Loved it so much I spent ten minutes just admiring the art in that scene.

Damned good issue, even if it wasn't what I thought it was. Can't wait for more!

And on a semi-related note, we know Naomi is going to be showing up in Young Justice. The newest issue just started a new multiverse arc, so it'd be a good place to step in and see what the title is all about, if you're not reading it already. And we're supposed to see more of Naomi's homeworld somewhere in this story. But man, I tell you what, I had three weeks of comics to read last night (dont get to the LCS as much as I used to) and YJ was probably my favorite issue. That was some great, silly, ridiculous crap and it made me legit laugh out loud.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Finally got to the LCS last night, I was so pumped to have issue 6.

And....wow, stuff definitely happened. I was really looking for more answers and resolutions than we got, and the final confrontation wasn't as wild as what I had been expecting either (trying not to be too spoiler-y). So I gotta sit down and read it again. I think my enjoyment was hampered by my expectations and I'm not judging the book on its own merits, but on what I wanted it to do. Still, the craft here maintains that crazy high level we've had since issue 1, and I dare say Campbell has actually gotten even better since the first issue (sounds impossible I know!). I was already excited for season 2 and the trip around the DCU, but now I'm even more hyped.

That last name? Hell yeah. I don't care if it was Walker's idea or Bendis' or Campbell's or whoever, that made me smile.

The.....place.....Naomi goes? Amazing, beautiful, horrifying. Loved it so much I spent ten minutes just admiring the art in that scene.

Damned good issue, even if it wasn't what I thought it was. Can't wait for more!

And on a semi-related note, we know Naomi is going to be showing up in Young Justice. The newest issue just started a new multiverse arc, so it'd be a good place to step in and see what the title is all about, if you're not reading it already. And we're supposed to see more of Naomi's homeworld somewhere in this story. But man, I tell you what, I had three weeks of comics to read last night (dont get to the LCS as much as I used to) and YJ was probably my favorite issue. That was some great, silly, ridiculous crap and it made me legit laugh out loud.
    if Naomi maintains this trajectory in with well crafted, well handled, stories and appearances, do you think they'd get her on Young Justice (assuming it gets renewed)? it's a slim chance but if fans and subsequently DC can continue to really get behind her, I could see it happening.

also, I loved the McDuffie tribute, this puts a whole extra layer of prestige to the character and my expectations for this character are through the room. this finale sets her up very well, and ends just short of revealing too much and having fanboys yelling Mary Sue.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    if Naomi maintains this trajectory in with well crafted, well handled, stories and appearances, do you think they'd get her on Young Justice (assuming it gets renewed)? it's a slim chance but if fans and subsequently DC can continue to really get behind her, I could see it happening.
    The cartoon? Possibly. I get the impression that Weisman has a lot of free reign with that show, so I think it would come down more to whether Weisman himself is aware of and loving the character and if he can use her in his narrative, and how much Bendis reveals. I don't see Weisman introducing her when we still don't really know what her powers or limits are, for example.

I hope she shows up though, that'd be badass.

also, I loved the McDuffie tribute, this puts a whole extra layer of prestige to the character and my expectations for this character are through the room. this finale sets her up very well, and ends just short of revealing too much and having fanboys yelling Mary Sue.
    Dude, the McDuffie thing was soooo great. And let's be real here, Naomi is a brand new non-legacy character in DC; some fans are going to get a hair across their asses no matter what.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    The cartoon? Possibly. I get the impression that Weisman has a lot of free reign with that show, so I think it would come down more to whether Weisman himself is aware of and loving the character and if he can use her in his narrative, and how much Bendis reveals. I don't see Weisman introducing her when we still don't really know what her powers or limits are, for example.

I hope she shows up though, that'd be badass.

Dude, the McDuffie thing was soooo great. And let's be real here, Naomi is a brand new non-legacy character in DC; some fans are going to get a hair across their asses no matter what.
    Very true but I appreciate them taking their time developing her and revealing who she is and what she can do. She's a new black character with a push so she will likely fall victim to the "hyper rationalization" Dwayne Mcduffie spoke about in regards to characters of color from some "fans" but the even paced strategy they've employed so far, I feel, gives those type of fans less ground to stand on because Walker and Bendis are taking the time to dot their i's and cross their t's to properly flesh her out.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 07-14-2019 at 08:41 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

I'm surprised Naomi is here (even if it's a barely noticeable appearance), is there word that she'll be involved in anything regarding Year of The Villain?

currently following:

I dunno, it just looks like a spread of heroes. I see several characters there who havent really been around or involved in anything for a long time. Power Girl, Blue Beetle, even Sideways is in this and he hasn't shown up anywhere (to my knowledge) since his book ended, like, a year ago.

It would be pretty awesome if Naomi (and the other heroes who haven't been seen lately) did actually have a role in this, but I wouldn't get too excited about a vague, generic promo.

~ Black Panther.

It's outdated, plain and simple. Tim Drake is in his about to become obsolete Robin costume, and Dick Grayson has his red New 52 Nightwing suit that he ditched FOUR years ago! Sideways isn't the only limboed hero there - as well as Blue Beetle and Power Girl, Green Arrow, Miss Martian, Vixen, and New Super-Man are also from cancelled books.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It's outdated, plain and simple. Tim Drake is in his about to become obsolete Robin costume, and Dick Grayson has his red New 52 Nightwing suit that he ditched FOUR years ago! Sideways isn't the only limboed hero there - as well as Blue Beetle and Power Girl, Green Arrow, Miss Martian, Vixen, and New Super-Man are also from cancelled books.
    Not entirely outdated; we've got Jon Kent in his new costume, Batgirl in her new costume, the 80's era Starman who recently arrived in JL, Amethyst from YJ, Wonder Girl in her new YJ costume, Tom Strong......

There's also Vibe, who hasn't been seen in several years. So I'm pretty sure this is just meant to be a big spread of random heroes, not something that's meant to be totally up to date.....though who knows, some of those limbo'd characters might be finding their way back onto the page here?

And *is* that Dick in the red costume? Over on his appreciation thread people are thinking it's Jason.

~ Black Panther.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Finally got over an illness that was preventing me from reading without coughing a lung onto each page and I gotta say, I really like Naomi. It was a fun book, and I think it's a great way to introduce a new character (a mini with a strong creative team that will spiral into other books). Naming her after the late Dwayne McDuffie was a lovely touch and I'm glad the book was received well. Allow me to add to Jamal Campbell's accolades, he killed this book up from top to bottom.

Looking forward to season two.

Do we already know when (if?) the trade will come out ? I can't wait to have a physical copy of the season 1 in hands !

I think I heard October? Could be totally wrong though.

I'm definitely getting the trade too. I ended up with a second printing copy of #1, had to get 2 and 3 digitally, and have first printings of the rest.....and it's a pain to read the whole story. Getting the trade as soon as it comes out! I'm gonna support this character so damn hard!

And hey, someone......maybe on the Superman forums?......said that Bendis is like a manga writer stuck in a comic book writer's body, and after reading issue 6 I feel like i can really see that now. I mean, we know he's one of the most decompressed writers in the industry, but looking at how he handles Naomi's powers, the flash and bang of them, but without really defining what they are or what, precisely, she can do.....it *does* give off a certain manga vibe, doesnt it?

~ Black Panther.

First cosplay ever of Naomi ?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0MNFMqhd16/

So Naomi will be guest starring in Action Comics for 2 issues which lines up perfectly for her guest appearance(s) in Young Justice which is in November.

And yes that was the first ever cosplay for Naomi.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 07-22-2019 at 09:27 PM.