Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question What are the pros and cons of collecting in TPB and HC format?

HCs seem to be more popular

Astonishing Member

Some comic books take longer to be in the HC format that in TPB I think.
    Thus, while trade waiting some comic books is faster being in TPB that in the HC format.
    So that to me is why I collect the TPB instead of the HC format with some comic books. But I prefer the HC format because they look better in the book shelves.

BANNED

If you are a collected edition collecter, there is no question. OHC is the way for you. I for once can wait for so long. For example I haven't bought The Dark knight: Master Race yet. I'm waiting for a deluxe edition. They can take their sweet time, how good can it be... it's a super hero book. lol So i can wait. lol (ok, i'm bitter 'cause The Dark Knight Returns shouldn't have squels... it was the perfect end for Batman, but it seems Miller will milk it... ) OK, lets not go out of subject... lol OHC is the way for a collector, they are well built, they can endure longer than a TPB and OVERSIZED ART I sometimes go for regular HCs as well like i did with new 52 but i don't get TPBs anymore.

Incredible Member

I collect every format. No question if it is available I go OHC/Omnibus’ etc but will gladly buy trades for something that isn’t in a HC format.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

After strictly collecting Omnis and OHC Deluxe editions, I started getting into the Marvel Epic line of TPBs. They’re easier for me to transport and read at work than an Omni, but Omnis look so nice on the bookshelf...

Really it’s up to you to pick which suit your needs better.

I like and buy both Hard and Soft cover books.

Amazing Member

Simply put, hardcovers are larger and much sturdier, but heavier and more expensive. Art reproduction is usually identical and paper stock similar enough.

For me it's the binding. Tpb are always glued, and that's simply a non-starter for me. HC that have sewn bindings get my $$$. If they happen to also be glued, then i pass on them too.

For me hardcovers make a better visual presentation over tb's.
    DC,I need Bronze Age Batman,Green Lantern,and Flash collected.Please,and thank you.

Incredible Member

I mostly stick to Tpb's on the occasion that I might spluge for a hardcover would be either A) The material is worth it, and B) That it's a favorite character of mine. Or at times I might even pick up both hardcover and softcover versions for completist sake.

Spectacular Member

I’m more reluctant to share hardcovers. Hardcovers may have bigger pages too.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I like HC for shipping and shelf durability and that I can just plop it down for reference and inspiration and it will stay open... at least the middle pages if they're glued.

Hardcovers look better and have better binding but there is a high cost that goes with that. I mostly collect softcovers. The only hard cover I have is Captain America Truth.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

All-New Member

HC's are better quality than tpb's, they are sturdier and do indeed look better on a book shelf. It mostly depends on the money you're willing to spend. In my case, I mostly collect tpb's because they are cheaper to collect. But I always look out for HC's or OHC's on sale.

Amazing Member

Softcovers are not really cheaper.

For example the average Marvel TBP which often these days only has 5 issues, will cost me about 12 pound from Amazon. For only 5 pound more I can get a DC Rebirth Deluxe hardcover which will have at least 12 issues and often more.

Omnibuses work out even cheaper if you go by how many issues they contain, as some of them only cost about a pound a issue.