View Poll Results: Who's your favoritve Booster?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Original Celebrity Con-Man

14 23.73%
  • Blue Beetle's JLI Buddy

29 49.15%
  • The Extreme Justice Booster

1 1.69%
  • The Greatest Time Traveler You Never Heard Of

31 52.54%
  • How Did The OP Overlook....?

0 0%
  • Booster Sux!

2 3.39%
  • Booster's Never Been As Great As He Could Be.

4 6.78%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Hello guys.
    Do you think we can have a new series with Booster Gold and Blue Beetle?
    I'd be very happy if it happens. What do you think, can it happen?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeZ View Post
    Hello guys.
    Do you think we can have a new series with Booster Gold and Blue Beetle?
    I'd be very happy if it happens. What do you think, can it happen?
    that would be a definite part of my monthly pull list.

maybe heroes in crisis could put enough attention on the blue and gold that dc might want to give it a shot.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

I started buying Booster Gold trades purely on the strength of him and Blue Beetle in the original JLI. Everyone was fantastic in JLI. (Of course it all came crashing down with the crud that was N52: JLI.)

For me, the only thing that has ever come as close to JLI as a 'must have' is DC Lego.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

I never cared to look into Booster Gold; what's the appeal?
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I never cared to look into Booster Gold; what's the appeal?
    For me, it was Katz and Johns' run that solidified Booster Gold as a favourite.
    In other titles, he was portrayed as either the loveable idiot or the commercial shmuck chasing a dollar.
    In the Katz/Johns run they took that idea and put on a spin on it.
    That was the front the world saw. Booster Gold - the loveable idiot.
    But they made him one of THE most important characters in the DCU, while also bringing in other parts of his history (his sister) and tying him to Rip Hunter.
    'The Greatest Hero The World Has Never Known'

I cannot recommend the book highly enough.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Yeah, the series that ran from 52 to Flashpoint is the one to read.

Johns writes the first 6 or so issues, setting up Booster as this loser who really wants to be better, who really wants to grow up, and who does....but who is still doomed to be seen forever as the chancer hero whose just in for money, because his role is to fix time problems with Rip Hunter, and not let everyone else know what he is doing.

Jurgens takes over early in the run, and is the main writer through until the mid 20s of the title, following on the same vein of growth through tragedy, including an amazing story where Booster tries again and again to help out heroes like Babs Gordon and Ted Kord try to avoid their fates, and finds out how he cant change things - while earning the trust and respect of Dick Grayson in the mean time.

When DeMatteis and Giffen take over for an arc, they kinda slide backwards to zany comedy, but write the new status for Booster in that, so you can really see how much the character has grown. Jurgens takes Booster with him in to the Time Masters mini series at this point as well, picking up on some of his 90s storylines and trying to find Bruce Wayne.

Sadly, the series ends on a couple of rubbish crossovers with Flashpoint, with A LOT of plotlines left not concluded. The biggest casualty of Flashpoint was this series, imo.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Loved Booster with Blue Beetle.

I liked the time travel hero idea. But the story where Booster tried to save Batgirl over and over again and could never defeat the Joker was such a terrible story. It made Booster look inept and stupid and then i was done with the idea. If he can't defeat someone without powers with all his abilities (force field, concussion blasts, flight), then no way is he going to be able to make a difference anywhere else.
    Being a "Person of Interest" doesn't make you an interesting person.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Booster not being able to stop the Joker was the whole point of the story. He was trying to change a fixed point in time and no matter what he did he could not change it. The whole point was to show that some things just can not be changed no matter what.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ropeburn View Post
    Loved Booster with Blue Beetle.

I liked the time travel hero idea. But the story where Booster tried to save Batgirl over and over again and could never defeat the Joker was such a terrible story. It made Booster look inept and stupid and then i was done with the idea. If he can't defeat someone without powers with all his abilities (force field, concussion blasts, flight), then no way is he going to be able to make a difference anywhere else.
    Me thinks you missed the point...
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

I know this is an old thread, but I hated that issue, too. Not because it made Booster look bad, because it was an excellent display of one of Rip's most loathed character aspects to me. The "tests" and the cruel lesson. It's so extremely typical of the worst of Batman - in whom I also despise the behavior - that I want Booster to stay away from that man. Made worse because Batman knew all along. And he was waiting for Booster to be ready or grow up or whatever and I despise the older heroes thinking that they have any place in judging the new ones when they all got to develop without interference from in anyone else (in golden age heros case, because they were first, in silver age case because most didn't exist anymore, were on another earth, or titles were more separate worlds).

I also hate "fixed-point/it-cannot-be-changed" version of time travel and mostly consider them cheap angst and I just don't like no-win scenarios.

While I enjoy a lot of Booster's characterization in the era, and find the stories well-crafted, there's a lot of them I don't enjoy, because Booster is usurping the achievements of other heroes. I want to see him shine, but not by diminishing others. And certainly not by retconning stories I actually read and mattered for the characters that were actually present before the retcon.

Edit: And wasn't it this one where Booster was thinking Barbara was the love of Ted's live even though she didn't reciprocate his feelings? Because I did not see that at all from Ted in the issues I read with him and Barbara. He was on "let's be friends" wagon at the time of their separation and didn't seem to have any continuing interest in her in his next appearance after that. Unless it was retconned some time between then and his death?
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-18-2019 at 01:45 PM.

Sorry that his is a little off topic, but I didn't see a BG-thread (apologies if overlooked). Does anyone have a sense of exactly how rich Booster had gotten (and how fast he was spending what he made) before his own title ended?

Wish there was a "Booster is garbage and shouldn't exist" option cause "Booster sux" doesn't cut it.
    "I swear to god, if I get banned..."

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by AtheistInRed View Post
    Wish there was a "Booster is garbage and shouldn't exist" option cause "Booster sux" doesn't cut it.
    Hm. Well, thanks for your hatred.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Hm. Well, thanks for your hatred.
    No prob. My hatred knows no match as I am the personification of it.
    "I swear to god, if I get banned..."