Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

I kind of felt that it was "unconfirmed" confirmed in X-men 46, in 1995, when Iceman and Jean were book shopping - he was wearing some fabulous magenta pants btw - and something came up about Jean being a Telepath, Iceman saying something to the effect of "so you know"...and Jean replying that she had absolutely no idea what he was talking about. At the time it could have been inferring the problems he was having using the full extent of his powers, but that scene more than anything had a lot of subtext. Sorry I don't have the scan, I tried to find it online but google is not my friend tonight. So yeah, the fact they wrote him with this idea in mind is not a surprise at all.

Ultimate Member

When Nicieza wrote Rictor and Shatterstar they weren't gay, he knew that some fans thought that they were so he was going to tease those fans by having the two room together and Rictor explain to Shatterstar about the different kinds of love, but he never got to that point...then later writers made them gay...

BANNED

Well, for a start, I think he's bisexual? He dated a lot of girls and had sex with women.

Plus, I don't think he didn't know to be gay. You know what you are and you like what you like. Life is simple.

I think it's a very stupid retcon, honestly. Publicity stunt...

X-CONTINUITY - The 3 X-Men Movies Timelines carefully written:
    http://x-continuity.blogspot.com

People need to learn that Word of God isn't canon... Especially in a medium where dozens (if not hundreds) of writers can write for a character.

Comics aren't like novels folks.
    DC, please give Jonah Hex a new solo.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    Well, for a start, I think he's bisexual? He dated a lot of girls and had sex with women.

Plus, I don't think he didn't know to be gay. You know what you are and you like what you like. Life is simple.

I think it's a very stupid retcon, honestly. Publicity stunt...

X-CONTINUITY - The 3 X-Men Movies Timelines carefully written:
    http://x-continuity.blogspot.com
    My brother dated girls and was even married to a woman. Doesn’t make him less gay because he dated women and married women. My aunt was married twice and had two children. She’s still a lesbian.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    When Nicieza wrote Rictor and Shatterstar they weren't gay, he knew that some fans thought that they were so he was going to tease those fans by having the two room together and Rictor explain to Shatterstar about the different kinds of love, but he never got to that point...then later writers made them gay...
    I don’t think that’s how sexuality works.

[insert something witty] PeachFlavoredXanax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    Tell that to my dad, he married my mom, had four kids and then he came out as gay. And he’s not bisexual. He’s 100% gay.

Sexuality isn’t always as simple as you’d like to believe. Sorry man.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nash View Post
    I kind of felt that it was "unconfirmed" confirmed in X-men 46, in 1995, when Iceman and Jean were book shopping - he was wearing some fabulous magenta pants btw - and something came up about Jean being a Telepath, Iceman saying something to the effect of "so you know"...and Jean replying that she had absolutely no idea what he was talking about. At the time it could have been inferring the problems he was having using the full extent of his powers, but that scene more than anything had a lot of subtext. Sorry I don't have the scan, I tried to find it online but google is not my friend tonight. So yeah, the fact they wrote him with this idea in mind is not a surprise at all.
    I didn't see any of that subtext at the time. I thought he was referring to Emma and whether any of her was still in his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nash View Post
    Being able to have openly gay characters (outside of side characters) is a somewhat recent development. Writers had to stick to subtext for years to slip past not just the censors, but often their own editors. Movies are often still stuck in this place due to producers not wanting to make too much noise in lucrative, yet repressive international markets.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Even when modern X-Books don't know they're slaves to the 90's, they're slaves to the 90's. At least with Bobby it's a good thing. #LetRobertRock #IcemanIsMyMan
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I also have confirmation from Lobdell, when speaking to him years ago at a Con. He said he was writing Iceman as a closeted homosexual man, and the entire issue with him and Rogue at his parents was about that. Bobby dealing with his own internalized homophobia, as well as that of his father. Some people can read into the subtext, some people can’t.
    Yeah, I remember reading this issue. This art was one of the best in X-Men history.

At that time, Americans and the world wasn't ready for gays.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Even when modern X-Books don't know they're slaves to the 90's, they're slaves to the 90's. At least with Bobby it's a good thing. #LetRobertRock #IcemanIsMyMan
    bobby being gay is a old story

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jalsrix View Post
    Yeah, I remember reading this issue. This art was one of the best in X-Men history.

At that time, Americans and the world wasn't ready for gays.
    Lobdell loved the Mutants as gay metaphor. He even created Gene Nation after the militant gay rights group, Queer Nation.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Except in this article he states that Iceman being gay was obvious. He also stated that people on tumblr providing 50 years worth of proof that he was a closeted gay man helped him decide that having him come out was the best thing to do.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbr...story-yet/amp/
    Attachment 75583
    lol I mean... it's tumblr

They chose Iceman to be gay because no one cares about him. Don't matter how you wanna cook it, cut it or slice it. Can you imagine the outrage if they did that to Wolverine or Gambit. He was their scapegoat character to satisfy the growing leftist crowd that this book has been accumulating over the years

Whether you support it or you're against it...let's stop acting like we don't know the truth.

I like iceman but... you get my point

Incredible Member

I think it was the good move for Iceman, something hinted wether in the comics in the 90's or in the movies: "Have you tried not to be a mutant" is a private joke.
    But first it was a move too late! It should have been done at the beginning of the 2000's while Morrisson was writing New X-MEN, and the X teams felt new and edgy. Now it doesn't feel so new and edgy.
    And second, how painful it was to see! Being outed by your past-self who's been himself outed by the most unethical teen telepath possible is indeed the worst coming out of the world!
    Bobby Drake would have deserved a better story.